Rechargable batt. and Airhead 4.5v
Jul 10, 2002 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

a1leyez0nm3

1000+ Head-Fier
I have some 1.2v AAA batteries that are rechargable... and I plan to get the Airhead 4.5v soon. Could I use the 1.2v batts for the amp? would I notice the sound degrading? (3.6v). would this work?

Jul 10, 2002 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 11
Speaking of.. Why is it that most rechargables put about 20% less voltage than non?

Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3
I have some 1.2v AAA batteries that are rechargable... and I plan to get the Airhead 4.5v soon. Could I use the 1.2v batts for the amp? would I notice the sound degrading? (3.6v). would this work?

Jul 11, 2002 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by acs236
Speaking of.. Why is it that most rechargables put about 20% less voltage than non?

NiCd & NiMH batteries are 1.2 volts per cell. Don't know all the chemical processes involved, but that's the way they are.

Alkalines are 1.5 v, at least when new, and wet cells, various versions of lead/acid, are 2.0 v. In cars and boats they are called 12 volt systems but in airplanes they're called 14 volt systems. That's actually the charging voltage in 12 volt systems.

If you want to use a 4.5 volt TAH with rechargeables, I'd get an external 4AA pack and plug. The TAH's can easily take as much as 12 volts, so 4.8 from 4 AA rechargeables will just give you a slight sound improvement. Plus, 1600mah AA's should have pretty good life.

Jul 11, 2002 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 11
Still, but why? It's hard to believe there's a theoretical reason -- afterall, there are rechargable batteries that output of 1.2v ---> 9v rechargables!

Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso

NiCd & NiMH batteries are 1.2 volts per cell. Don't know all the chemical processes involved, but that's the way they are.

Jul 11, 2002 at 10:37 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3
where could i get a 4AA pack? rat shack?

Yeah.

Jul 11, 2002 at 10:45 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Still, but why? It's hard to believe there's a theoretical reason -- afterall, there are rechargable batteries that output of 1.2v ---> 9v rechargables!

9 volt rechargeables, with the exception of the Plainviews, are not 9 volts. They are either 6 cell, 7.2 volt or 7 cell, 8.4 volt. The Plainviews are 8 cell, 9.6 volt. I haven't heard of any others that are 8 cell, although there may be. Most are 6 or 7 cell. 1.2 volts per cell.

I figure that I know that rechrgeables are 1.2 volts per cell, and I really don't have a need to fully understand the chemistry and physics of them. Knowing all about how they work is not going to enable me to DIY higher voltage, higher amperage cells.

I imagine that it's a fairly solid physical law that determines the voltage of the individual cells, and better engineering around that law that determines amp hour capacity.

Hope this adds further confusion.

Jul 11, 2002 at 12:52 PM Post #9 of 11
My point about the 9v rechargables (I know they're less than 9v) is that there appears to be no real limit why AA rechargables have to be 1.2v. Think of it this way, why couldn't they design a rechargable to take the place of a theoretical 2v battery, which could end up being 1.5v.

It sounds like from your post -- which I think does answer my question -- that each rechargable battery is made up of individual cells, which are of a set voltage. So there are the limits of physical space, until someone designs smaller cells, or something similar.

Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso

Hope this adds further confusion.

Jul 11, 2002 at 9:34 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

My point about the 9v rechargables (I know they're less than 9v) is that there appears to be no real limit why AA rechargables have to be 1.2v. Think of it this way, why couldn't they design a rechargable to take the place of a theoretical 2v battery, which could end up being 1.5v.

It sounds like from your post -- which I think does answer my question -- that each rechargable battery is made up of individual cells, which are of a set voltage. So there are the limits of physical space, until someone designs smaller cells, or something similar.

What part of my post didn't you understand??

Under the current laws of physics, NiCd and NiMH cells are 1.2 volts. Period. Case closed.

A "theoretical" 2 volt, putting out 1.5 volts is NOT possible given the current laws of physics, and stae of battery art.

A 2 volt cell would be lead acid under current tech. I don't really see anyone manfacturing a AA lead acid battery. Might be good because of voltage, but I damn sure wiuldn't want to carry it around.

Accept the fact that what is available now is probably all that's going to be available for a while. Evolutionary improvements, but that's about all.

My Aiwa boom-box runs great on 8 Dcell NiMH's, 4500 mah from Rat Shack. They last longer than alkalines.

My Kenwood pcdp and Aiwa pcp and 3 volt TAH all run great on Panasonic 1600 mah AA's from Costco.

My 9 volt TAH is running alkalines 9 v until I get a wall-wart. I'll use it stationary in the office.

BTW, anybody notice that those disposable batteries are named after a famous Baseball player??????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back