Recently Bought Westone 3's
Jun 11, 2013 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DJPixcell

Head-Fier
Hello fine people of Head-fi. I very highly respect everyone in this forum, as I have a growing love for audio equipment.

I'll start off with probably one of the most used phrases of the forum "I'm certainly not an audiophile", but after purchasing the Sony XBA-3 triple driver earphones I felt extremely inclined to seek for IEMs from a respectable brand known for their audio quality. Audio quality is something that I really appreciate and the Sony's being my first pair of multiple driver IEMs, introduced me to a clarity and separation I had not heard before.

What I didn't like about them was their horribly thin cable, and despite there being an awesome quality of sound I had never heard before, it still seemed a little dull. The bass seemed to take presence (which i loved), but it also seemed to drown out some of the other frequencies, and despite it being very present the bass didn't feel tight.

After looking, a lot. haha I've come down to the purchase of a pair of Westone 3's. (not the UM3s) Their cables appealed to me greatly, their natural over ear wire design as well. Reading endlessly on this forum and elsewhere I was seeing lots of reviews mentioning that the earphones were just simply "fun". Mentions of great separation and clarity, but also with a big low-end. I primarily listen to electronic music (dance, dubstep, electro house, etc) so I was looking for an earphone that would do me some justice. I have seen quite a few reviews mentioning how great these earphones are for that genre, so after researching the price and comparing models from Westone, I bit the bullet and just purchased the 3's.

I also compared the 3's to the Shure 530's (which I could have had at a lower price), and was told the earphones were not as solid and well rounded for my wants than the 3's.

So thats my little story, but what I've come to ask for really is tips for maintaining these headphones, but as well tips for improving their sound quality. I know this is limited, but I would like to know if there already are users out there who use the 3's as their daily driver, and what they use to amp them (if they do at all). Any tips on maintaining their quality? ie the cable Do's and don't s? haha

This is my first pair of in-ears that I have paid over $200 for, so I consider them an investment. (given a small investment comparing to the thousands of dollars others have spent on here, but an investment none the less)

I have a cheap fiiO amp that I was using to amp the XBA-3's, the E11. Will that amp give me any improvement in quality (how ever small it may be), or should I look into something a bit more powerful, and if so does anyone have any recommendations on that end?

Just over-all open ears to hear what owners of these headphones might recommend, be it any tips at all.

Thank you very much for any information head-fi community. :)

Jun 11, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 4
Welcome to head-fi and sorry for your wallet. I started out with a $99 SE215 and $70 MC5 then to $450 SE535 and $250 SRH940 then to $999 UERM and $250 DT1350, with small things in between within two years. Quick, right?

Jun 11, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
Welcome to head-fi and sorry for your wallet. I started out with a $99 SE215 and $70 MC5 then to $450 SE535 and $250 SRH940 then to $999 UERM and $250 DT1350, with small things in between within two years. Quick, right?

haha yes that is very quick. but I also entirely understand. once you start hearing quality, its all that you want to live with. Unfortunately that always comes at a price.

Jun 11, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
haha yes that is very quick. but I also entirely understand. once you start hearing quality, its all that you want to live with. Unfortunately that always comes at a price.

I know. There is only stepping up in head-fi. You cannot go from high-fi to low-fi once you've experience the quality. Next up for me is full size headphones. Damn, what do I do with my wallet? I think I hear it screaming in pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back