Receiver reccomendations for Monitor Audio Bronze BX2
May 8, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:
Mogami is what you need. 

How lightly would you say you're using the word "need"? I'm not totally against paying $60 for a cable IF it will make an audible difference. Assuming every other component was the same, would you confidently say you could distinguish the sound produced by a Mogami cable from say a Monoprice Gold, or similar standard quality cable?

Quote:
MA do bright  speakers so id say go for a warm receiver, id look to yamaha

I didn't find them bright in my auditioning. I wanted to try the yamamha AS500 but it was too expensive.

May 9, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #20 of 30
Mogami seems to be recognised as a good alternative to more expensive cables - that's why I recommended it - actually I thought it was less expensive that $60 (in bulk perhaps).

personally, if I was looking to an alternative to really cheap made cables without breaking the bank, it would be one of my choices.

whether you can distinguish the two apart is hard to say - cable differences varies from system to system, imo, but I doubt you'd be able to tell them apart, though.

if you're curious/bothered about it , you can always try them both, and return the one you think the worst.

mind you, these sort of questions will inevitably receive different... opinions. 

May 9, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #21 of 30
Monoprice :beerchug:

Nothing wrong with Mogami, except that you'll be paying extra.

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #22 of 30
I saw this thread and I just had to post. I've upgraded my 20 year old pioneer system. I  just upgraded my speakers to Monitors which I'm in  love with.  I now a have a:

1. Onkyo 8050 Network Stereo Receiver $270
  2. Onkyo 7030 CD player $200
  3. Montior RX-1 shelf speakers

My sound is 100% better with these speakers.

But, I'm wondering if I'm limiting their potential, and if it would make sense to get a better receiver. Do any of you who know this equipment think I'd benefit from upgrading  to a $500-700 "serious" receiver?  I'm wondering if my nicer Monitor speakers would benefit from better source components. It sounds so much better as is, but I'm curious....

May 9, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #23 of 30
I've been pairing my BX2/BX Centre/BX-FX 5.0 set up first with Yamaha RX 473, then with RX 673 and finally settling for Denon 2113 receiver. I'm not totally satisfied with the sound but I admit the speakers positioning in my room is far from ideal.

Still they seem pretty balanced speakers - sometimes with a tendency to distort (metallic-like) human voices on TV programs like news etc. Other times male voices may get a bit too much bass  (barrel-like) - which in my opinion is far from natural sounding.
I'm yet to integrate a subwoofer into the system and then hopefully the sound will improve.

Don't expect great sound in music (stereo) though, entry/mid level receivers are mostly made for movie listening. If you listen to a lot of music (with stereo recorded material) then you'll need to get either a stereo amplifier (the cheaper solution) or a higher end receiver (expensive).
Keep in mind that, for music, to get the same results in sound quality, you will need to pay at least twice as much for a receiver, then as you pay for a stereo amplifier.

May 9, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:
Now all I need is a 3.5 - RCA cable for my HiFiMAN line out.

Do I really need to break bank on this cable or will any old decent, not crap, cable do? I've heard of members happy with a sturdy ~$10 Mediabridge cables and others who opt for ~$150 ALO Audio ones. Obviously the former fits much more in line with my budget but I don't want to skimp out if it's going to make a notable difference.

Get two or three to compare - from a store with a good return policy - and decide for yourself if there is enough of a difference to justify the higher cost.  Highly unlikely to be dramatic sound quality differences between the cables, maybe subtle differences - at best.  Now, some of the more expensive cables look really nice and that could be a factor....

May 9, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #25 of 30
Don't expect great sound in music (stereo) though, entry/mid level receivers are mostly made for movie listening. If you listen to a lot of music (with stereo recorded material) then you'll need to get either a stereo amplifier (the cheaper solution) or a higher end receiver (expensive).
Keep in mind that, for music, to get the same results in sound quality, you will need to pay at least twice as much for a receiver, then as you pay for a stereo amplifier.

Most AVRs are capable of running 2 channel audio just fine. And because they are so heavily massed produced and often possible to find on sale, they can be a better price/performance value over 2 channel amps/receivers. I have an HK 3390. And when I bought it, I compared it with the HK 1600. When in direct stereo mode, the HK 1600 and HK 3390 sounded pretty much the same. I kept the HK 3390 for the additional power output headroom, but really didn't need it (I don't run it that loud).

Plus, AVRs have two things that 2 channel audio doesn't which some people might find useful for SQ improvement.

1) Built in bass management for subwoofer integration.
2) Room correction software. For instance, Audyssey can can do a really good job EQing speakers and a sub for the listening position that would otherwise be difficult to achieve without more expensive measurement equipment.

May 10, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #26 of 30
Cambridge Audio, Arcam, NAD or Rotel at that price for me. Are you going to use them for surround sound? If not I would assess wether you need a receiver at all or would be better with an integrated amp that should have a better power section at a similar price.

May 12, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #28 of 30
No, because the beauty of forums is that often other people than the OP have the same or a similar question and may find the opinions a help for years and years to come if they get linked to the thread by a search engine.

Jun 17, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #30 of 30
I just noticed the tread...a little late i guess. I am thinking of an Indeed t-amp might do something with these maybe and only for $70.

I own two of the Indeed TA-2021s and also gave one to my brother as a gift. Good t-amps for the money :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back