Receiver Headphone Jack vs. Stereo-Link
May 15, 2002 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

PFRfan

100+ Head-Fier
Here is my current configuration...

Hercules Fortissimo II Sound Card (same as Game Theatre, but without the break-out box) connected via Optical SPDIF to a Denon AVR-1600 Receiver. I use Senn HD495's, and will probably be picking up a pair of Sony V6's for recording purposes soon. I primarily listen to MP3's at encoded by Lame at 224kbps, but also do a little bit of home multi-track recording. The built in dedicated headphone output of the sound card is good, but the receiver (with the DAC and I assume better headphone "amp") is better.

I also play a lot of games, and will keep the sound card (or something similar) for that purpose no matter what I do.

What I want to know is if the Stereo-Link's sound quality is comparable to the Denon receiver for listening to music.

My thought is this...
I have a great big receiver on my computer desk, and 2 decent Sony speakers (floor & bookshelf) on each side that never get used. All I ever use the receiver for is to run my headphones. If I can get similar (or better) sound through my headphones via the Stereo-Link, then I will be able to put my normal sound gear back by the TV.

I'd use the sound card with some decent computer speakers for normal windows stuff, and would plug the headphones into it for gaming, while routing all of the music over the Stereo-Link.

If anyone has experience with these (or equivalent) products, I'd greatly appreciate the input.

Thanks!
Jonathan

May 15, 2002 at 3:18 AM Post #2 of 5
Also, am I better off with a headphone amp (like the Headroom Little) attached to the headphone output of the sound card?

May 15, 2002 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 5
In my opinion, the headphone amp in the stereo-link is a bit less good than a CMoy amp. At the same time, it's a good DAC considering how cheap it is. I like the product, but I prefer to put an amp on its outputs rather than use the one built in. It can be as simple as a DIY CMoy or a CHA47, or a low-end commercial amp like a Headroom Airhead or a Porta Corda.

The better the amp you use with it, the better the sound you'll get, of course. It's nice that you have the freedom to upgrade it like this.

May 15, 2002 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 5
Well, my options right now are really these...

a) Denon Receiver
b) Stereo-Link
c) <$300 Headphone amp on the headphone out of my sound card.

I can't afford to put an amp on the stereo-link - it'll push over my price limit. Unless something like a Headroom Airhead would work - I really don't know the quality differences...

May 16, 2002 at 4:54 AM Post #5 of 5
Well, I guess I solved my own dilemma. Embarrassing, actually...

All of this time, I've been planning to use my new MDR-7506's (I picked some up today - couldn't find any V6's) for recording, with the full intention of connecting them to the headphone output of my Tascam US-224. Never thought about it. Here - all this time - I've had an outboard DAC just at my fingertips. It's pretty sad actually.

Now - I may end up using a separate headphone amp, but we'll just have to see.

Thanks, tangent!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back