Received R10 Replacement Ear Pads
Jul 4, 2004 at 1:41 PM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
But you W2002 pads are better Because they adopt ITALIAN lamb !!!
biggrin.gif

Best!
Nicola

[size=medium]"Italians do it better!"[/size]

biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2004 at 1:59 PM Post #32 of 48
Sony is such a bunch of cheating bastards, ya hear?
I would go there personally and create havoc in R&D.

But that's just me. :-D

Scott

Jul 4, 2004 at 2:42 PM Post #33 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn
[size=medium]"Italians do it better!"[/size]

biggrin.gif

... and even ... did you eat the italian lamb? The best is that of Sardynian island... very, very good!
tongue.gif

Best!
Nicola

Jul 4, 2004 at 2:59 PM Post #34 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Not true.
It appears that these pads are sewn by hand. My wife works in the fashion industry and is very familiar with leather fabrication. Other than she thinks these are probably made by children (probably in sweat shops), the leather puckering is due to the sewer not maintaining adequate tension when sewing the leather.

Ed if your wife works in the fashion industry, honestly I would suggest why not making her (or anybody she may know) do the pads using any glove soft leather and foam, they should be a lot better, and you could save a lot of money, and who knows maybe begin a new business of R-10 replacement pads, let's say you could sell them for 150.00 making the best machine operator do them, if you pay him 25.00@hour, which is consider extremely good pay for that kind of job, you still will have a huge extra profit.....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2004 at 2:59 PM Post #35 of 48
seriously, for the price of those pads, they should have sent you the lamb meat for a good 4th of July cookout.

Jul 4, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #36 of 48
I can surely say that:
the R10s pads are real Leather!
The SR007s are man-made lether!

For me, SONY gives us a overpriced of the R10s pads, though the pads REALLY comfortable.

For the R10 phones, it is more than a pads,
the quality of R10 are good, but the quality of the people who make the R10 are really bad!
As I seen on my R10s before, there are gaps between the "black circle stuff" and the "wood". They just do not suit each other.
For the people who speed more than 3000US, they surely want EVERYTHING to be PERFECT!
But, sadly, it isn't.
Anyway, R10 is not avilable now.

Jul 4, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #37 of 48
if they are handsewn then you cannot have tension pucker...... tension pucker occurs with 301 lockstitching mainly (it can occur with others but it is not as common)

if it is being handstitching what you are getting is seam grin...... from the second set of pictures that becomes much more aparent.....

also if it were handstitched then every other stitch would pull in an opposing direction (unless it was backstitched very often). on the pads it is pulling evenly on every stitch which is more typical of lockstitching because lockstitching looks identical on the technical face and the technical rear

i do not think it is handsewn except to finish it off.... because a wavy seam when it should be straight is more typical of machine sewing, plus the stitches per inch is too uniform for most handstitching......

when handstitching is uneven there is more of a zig-zag effect instead of a wavyness to the seam......

high tension with handstitching causes gathers not pucker and low tension causes seam grin

Jul 4, 2004 at 7:55 PM Post #38 of 48
All I can say is that why not bring the old pair of pads and bring it to a sewing place and have them make you an exact duplicate. You can buy some leather which although it may not be "greek" lambskin its still quite good. Better yet, buy some saled item leather goods for cheap and cut the leather out and remake the pads. The sewing labor is actually quite cheap and the total solution is much much less than $400 retail that these pads go for.
I told my mom who is a seamstress how much people are buying for these and she could not believe the price.
She say she can get a Coach Hand Bag which is made of higher quality and material costs for that price.

Jul 4, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #40 of 48
jeez, this reminds me of grado, somehow - my ms-2s literally had glue leaking out of the headband's seams. not to mention unraveling headband threads and slightly messy plastic work.

somehow for a $300 headphone, i felt QC should have been just a little bit better. thank god the sound makes up for it.

tough luck i guess, ed.
frown.gif

and to all sony detractors, well it's simple isnt it - sony prices them at $200 because they figure (correctly) that people are willing to pay that amount for them. basic economics 101.

Jul 4, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #41 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
and to all sony detractors, well it's simple isnt it - sony prices them at $200 because they figure (correctly) that people are willing to pay that amount for them. basic economics 101.

I do not think they will have a huge stock of those pads neither, maybe a few dozen, they do not deteriorate that easy AFAIK, and at that price.....

Jul 4, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #42 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc

While I'm sure they are making a pretty good markup on these pads, you'd be amazed how quickly the costs add up for a business in having a specialty item like this on the books so I don't think it's that unreasonable. One of the things most people ignore is just how much time and thence money goes into little details. When production is in-house, the engineering time when the production line has to be started up and taken down or if it's left up how much is spent on the company on that little section of real estate devoted to the sewing area. If it's out-sourced then you have to have folks commenicating back and forth to setup what is probably the run of a few hundred pair. You'd be amazed how much the same the costs are whether you're setting up for a run of a couple hundred or a million, everything has to be spec'd out, deals setup with the leather manufacturers who you haven't talked to in a couple of years, etc... It really does add up, especially for a company like Sony whose vision is focused on selling millions of a particular gadget rather than small one offs like these pads.

Jul 4, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #43 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
I do not think they will have a huge stock of those pads neither, maybe a few dozen, they do not deteriorate that easy AFAIK, and at that price.....

well.. if my florsheim and moreschi are anything to go by, yes, leather does go to seed very quickly.
eek.gif

Jul 4, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #44 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer
Straight from the Stax website:

Ear Pads: Crafted from high quality natural leather for durability and comfort.

Seems I was wrong!
tongue.gif

Now, I am surely to say that:
Both R10 pads and 007s pads are lether!
But, for me, R10's pads is more comfortable than 007s, though there is a little problem with the quality of the R10s pads.

Jul 4, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #45 of 48
gpalmer is correct...... for a company like sony ... having pads where they are only selling at most a few hundred is not profitable without a huge markup

the fewer the number of items the greater the markup needed to offset the risk and r&d of such an item

it's the same reason grado has determined it is not profitable to make the flats again.... besides john's preference for bowls of course....

with sewn products like these ear pads they are more than likely die cut..... and die cutting has an enormous overhead compared to automated cutters and plotters...

the reason for this it that it is much harder to cut out shapes like those for the pads on automated cutting systems.... those machines do not like tight round shapes and when you do get tight round shapes to cut then you can't spread and cut as many plys (layers of fabric) at the same time. try cutting out tight round shapes with a 2 inch rotary blade and you'll see what i mean (3/4 inch isn't so hard but you have to replace those blades much more often)

speaking from experience here, none of the industry cutting tools are easy to use to begin with plus you need to wear a chain mail glove on at least one if not both hands (it's not uncommon to find cutters missing a finder or two) and the glove makes them harder to maneuver.

for a low production product like those pads i honestly doubt they outsource them... most likely produced in the garment district in new york or a suburb of tokyo or hong kong..... if they do outsource the farthest they will outsource to is probably the caribbean.....

but all in all.... i do agree ... the quality should be better for that amount of chedder...... never should have passed QC, but then again i am sure sony doesn't follow the same QC protocol for low production soft goods parts like that...... (soft goods parts are a much more subjective QC process and require more operator training than hard goods that can easily be measured to see if they are within tolerances)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back