Reccommendations for a good, cheap phono cartidge?
May 11, 2003 at 1:03 AM Post #16 of 24
Eagle_Driver: I'd go for the AT331LP. As for the stylus types, conical is the least advanced type. Then there is elliptical, and then there are the advanced types like linear contact (featured on the 331, btw), fine line, micro line, Van-den-Hul...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Btw, I've read another definition for bonded/nude stylys types over here, according to which there should be a kind of metal socket for bonded types, whereas the stylus should be directly glued into the cantilever for nude types.

May 12, 2003 at 1:53 PM Post #17 of 24
Awww, crap. It seems as though the only Web places that I've seen the AT331LP sold at ship only to my credit-card billing address, and won't ship anywhere else but my CC billing address. And often, nobody is at home during the times when the shippers usually arrive. As a result, I must now shop semi-locally for a new replacement cartridge.

May 12, 2003 at 6:01 PM Post #18 of 24
Eric: You can't change the tonearm on the B22s, and you oughtn't even think about it. You also oughtn't think about Dynavector, Clearaudio, Van Der Hull, and exotic stylus shapes that you can't even mount on your arm. There's a reason very good cartridges don't come in P-mount versions.

Nothing personal meant to you or some of the other posters, and I mean that, but I think you have received, and are still receving, some bad advice and have gone about things all wrong.

I'm very familiar with your set up. A $10 P-mount arm on a plastic turntable did not need a stand alone phono stage instead of the perfectly decent one that is in the $3000 MA6500. And, while it's a closer call, I don't think I'd bother gracing that set-up with a $100 cartridge either, although you would hear some improvement from doing so.

IMO: if you're going to keep using the Technics, buy the cheapest Grado for the time being. Then sell the phono preamp (if there's no better source of cash, keep it if you have), add the $100 you'd spend on the cart, and buy the best Music Hall or Pro-ject that buys you, or get something more up-scale like a Rega or clone on the used market.

Eagle: you're on the right track. The QD33 has an upgraded arm from the B22 and a $40-100 cart from Grado, AT, or Shure would make sense. I believe people were putting even V-15s on these decks when they were hot sellers in the early to mid 80s, although I think that's overkill for that deck.

May 13, 2003 at 3:53 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by zowie
Eric: You can't change the tonearm on the B22s, and you oughtn't even think about it. You also oughtn't think about Dynavector, Clearaudio, Van Der Hull, and exotic stylus shapes that you can't even mount on your arm. There's a reason very good cartridges don't come in P-mount versions.

Nothing personal meant to you or some of the other posters, and I mean that, but I think you have received, and are still receving, some bad advice and have gone about things all wrong.

I'm very familiar with your set up. A $10 P-mount arm on a plastic turntable did not need a stand alone phono stage instead of the perfectly decent one that is in the $3000 MA6500. And, while it's a closer call, I don't think I'd bother gracing that set-up with a $100 cartridge either, although you would hear some improvement from doing so.

IMO: if you're going to keep using the Technics, buy the cheapest Grado (in this case, the Prestige Black or Green) for the time being. Then sell the phono preamp (if there's no better source of cash, keep it if you have), add the $100 you'd spend on the cart, and buy the best Music Hall or Pro-ject that buys you, or get something more up-scale like a Rega or clone on the used market.

Eagle: you're on the right track. The QD33 has an upgraded arm from the B22 and a $40-100 cart from Grado, AT, or Shure (e.g. Grado Prestige Blue or Red, AT331LP) would make sense. I believe people were putting even V-15s on these decks when they were hot sellers in the early to mid 80s, although I think that's overkill for that deck.

Note the italic text in parentheses: Those words give good examples of the cartridges that should be purchased for those tables.

May 13, 2003 at 5:27 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
Dynavector is the clear winner among those three.

There are no Dynavectors on the market that fit in P-Mount tonearms; all of them use 1/2"-mount only. And then, the cheapest Dynavector cartridge that's on the market costs well over $300!
eek.gif

And eric343 had already bought a Music Hall MMF-5 table for his dad anyway, so it would already come with a decent cartridge - unless the store sold the table to anyone with no cartridge included.

May 13, 2003 at 2:41 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
zowie - Actually, I got my dad an MMF-5 awhile ago, so that problem's nicely solved...

good, I hadn't realized this was an old thread that came back

May 13, 2003 at 5:07 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by zowie
good, I hadn't realized this was an old thread that came back

That's because I've resurrected this thread to ask for some advice on relatively low-priced cartridges, instead of starting a new thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back