Reccomendations for $40-$80 phones...
Oct 7, 2009 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Olimoronio

500+ Head-Fier
I have reasonably acute hearing based on hearing tests. I just don't think audio quality is the most important aspect of music. I care more about the melody, beat, vocals, etc... of a song. So having the best fidelity is not the most important feature to me although I would like a pair that sounds at least fairly good.

Can you toss up some quick recommendations for a pair of decent looking, smaller-ish headphones that muff ambient noise, fit comfortably and sound good?
I just want something for my Sansa Clip.
smile_phones.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 25
Grado SR60i

Good comfort
Sound great (Best for rock etc)
IMO, they look great

-Not really suitable for portable use, they leak quite a bit.

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #6 of 25
Thanks for the suggestions, you guys.
After thinking about it more, those Grado ones do look nice.

How good are they at muffing ambient noise? They don't look to have that donut design on the earpiece that I associate with good padded noise blocking.

BUT THEN AGAIN I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THIS STUFF.
I want to be all
happy_face1.gif
soon

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yuin G2A
AKG K81dj (not too small, but at least they fold)
JVC HA-M750
Soundmagic P10
JVC Flats

I really like that JVC HA-M750 you posted. It looks perfect for my needs since I think I'm bailing on total portability.

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Olimoronio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestions, you guys.
After thinking about it more, those Grado ones do look nice.

How good are they at muffing ambient noise? They don't look to have that donut design on the earpiece that I associate with good padded noise blocking.

BUT THEN AGAIN I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THIS STUFF.
I want to be all
happy_face1.gif
soon

For your price range the SR60 is probably the best sounding and with retro looks to boot, unfortunately they will not offer much if any isolation.

The KSC75 sounds awesome and for $20, cannot be beat, but again little to no isolation, and they look rediculous.

userlander recommended the MDRV6, which isolate well, look pretty serious, sound damn good (minus the somewhat funny bass frequency holes). Also putting the BeyerDynamic DT250 pads on these makes them outrageously comfortable.

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #9 of 25
They won't offer any, really. And they leak sound. Have you considered IEMs?

Oct 16, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #10 of 25
hp1o.jpg

So these came in the mail early this morning. I was a little skeptical that they'd offer a jump in quality over the nice pack-in earbuds that came with my Sansa clip.

I have to say, you guys ****ing nailed it.

PROS
  1. Tight fit while remaining comfortable
  2. Muff outside side very well. I had Sports Center on decently loud and I couldn't hear any of it.
  3. Keep music from escaping. I had my roommate put them on and I couldn't hear the sound coming out.
  4. Don't look homo like the portapros
  5. Really brings out the highs and lows in the music. See below:

Since I can't compare it to anything but what I know (photography), I'll do my best to relate it.
comparet.jpg

These headphones bring out so much detail in the sound. Bass lines and intricate little background sounds are popping like I've never had them do. It's like dragging up shadows and dragging down highlights in a photo.

I'm listening to FcKahuna 'Hayling' right now and it has honestly never sounded so good. So much detail.

CONS
  1. They make my unkempt hair look bad.. I know it sounds silly, but they're going to look good with either really long hair or really short, kept hair.
  2. They're decently big. Going to be a little hard to store. I'll probably wear them around my neck.

hp2x.jpg

hp3e.jpg

hp4d.jpg

I compared these against a similar looking pair of $40 Sony headphones my roommate has. These honestly rape them and he agrees. His fit too loose and have very muddy, soft sound.

olijam.gif

Jamming to some 'A Tribe Called Quest'... LYRICS TO GO
jecklinsmile.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #11 of 25
Nice pics. I've really got to learn how to take a proper pic of some headphones. Currently waiting for my 6-year old Lumix point-and-shoot to finish charging.

Glad you like your first foray into mid-fi - the JVC's are definitely a good first step.

Oct 17, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Olimoronio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If this is mid-fi I don't think my brain will be able to process hi-fi.

oh trust me, your brain will be able to process it fine, your wallet will be one w/ the processing problems...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back