[Reccomendation Needed] Cable Retermination - Bay Area
Nov 17, 2017 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TypodCrowd

Member of the Trade: Modder
Hey guys alright need a little help. I have a Blue Dragon cable from Moon audio for my Mr. speakers Alpha Primes, terminated with a 6.3mm (or 1/4 inch, don't snap at me not using your disliked form of measurement :frowning2: ) plug.

I intend to have this swapped out to a 3.5mm balanced (trrs) plug so that I can enjoy it with my Go2Pro.

I've contacted Moon audio about this and they've quoted me for ~$35. Does anyone know whether there might be somoene local to the Bay Area (CA) that might be able to do this for me more quickly/for a little cheaper?

I'd also be willing to do it myself if you guys have any cheap (quick shipping) 3.5mm trrs plug suggestions, but I don't want to lose out on sq just because I did a shotty solder job or used the wrong type of solder, so I'd prefer to have someone do it for me.

Nov 17, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 10
Was going to recommend BTG Audio as they were located in the Bay Area but it looks as they have moved to Texas . Shouldn’t be that hard to do yourself if you have a soldering iron the type of solder shouldn’t make much of a difference. You will need a multimeter also to make sure of the correct pin out.

Nov 17, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #3 of 10
Was going to recommend BTG Audio as they were located in the Bay Area but it looks as they have moved to Texas . Shouldn’t be that hard to do yourself if you have a soldering iron the type of solder shouldn’t make much of a difference. You will need a multimeter also to make sure of the correct pin out.

Sweet! Any suggestions on 3.5mm trrs plugs?

Nov 17, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 10
If you don’t have a lot of experience soldering these connectors they can be a bit tricky. I was thinking of a trs connector and not a trrs connector as these can be a bit more difficult to solder. Sorry didn’t mean to mislead you. Not that it can’t be done just takes a bit more patience. Prep is everything on these as they can go like a dream or make you pull your hair out. As for connectors there is not a lot from the typical makers as this is not a common connector. Just Google 3.5mm connectors and you will see most of them. Most of the connectors I use for my stuff is Neutrik or Eidolic and doesn’t look like Neutrik makes a 3.5mm Trrs and the Eidolic is expensive at $12.50 for the 3.5mm trrs plug. Not sure what connectors Moon uses but not be a bad deal if you get some kind of warranty. There are a lot of connectors that go from 2 to 6 dollars if you want to give it a shot. I have made a couple of cables for Mr Speakers headphones as I made a balanced xlr cable for Alpha Dogs and a portable cable for my Ether C’s. The Hirose connector the one that connects to the cups is a bitch as it is so small but not a big problem just takes a bit of patience also. I haven’t had a lot of experience with the barrel connectors but do have a friend that does this for a living and I could get some pointers for you if you do want to tackle yourself? Me personally I would give it a shot as what is the worst that happens you would have to send it out to be done.

Nov 17, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 10
Sounds good - I have a little experience with soldering and such. Was actually contemplating using the Hirose Connectors to removable-cable mod my stax but I'm about to replace them so that might not be the best idea.

I've been digging through Digikey and Mouser - seems they have slightly (but not notably) more than nothing for my needs. Moon won't give a warranty I don't think on something like this.
I also need a set of custom cables for my Etymotics so I might end up makign that happen all together - we'll see.

As for doing it myself - I'd like to give it a shot it's just picking the right balanced plug that's giving me a bit of a hastle

Nov 17, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 10
I don’t think I would do the cable mod on the Stax as they have a capacitive to the cables that might have something to do with their performance .

Nov 17, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #7 of 10
Most Stax have permanent cables so not sure what your wanting to do there.

Aug 14, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 10
Bumping this thread up. I'm also looking for re-termination in the SF Bay Area. I want to change my Danacable Lazuli Reference Hifiman (2.5mm) to 3.5mm. Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back