Reccomend me a good FM Transmitter
Jun 4, 2004 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

taylor

1000+ Head-Fier
My friend is looking to purchase an Iriver IMP-120 and wants to use it in his car. He does not have a tape deck, or inputs on the car stereo.

Battery powered is okay, a DC input jack is better, a cigarette lighter plug is the best. It must also have a 3.5mm input, for connection to the Iriver. Cheaper is better.

What would you guys reccomend?

Jun 5, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 7
Based on my experience, I strongly recommend forgetting about an FM transmitter. They all suck, even the expensive powerful ones. The FM modulators suck too (the ones that plug into your FM antenna port). If he buys one anyway, he'll be throwing his money away like I did.

Instead, advise your friend to save up his money and buy a new head unit for his vehicle with an aux in. It's really the only way to get decent sound from your DAP to your vehicle.

Jun 6, 2004 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke
Instead, advise your friend to save up his money and buy a new head unit for his vehicle with an aux in. It's really the only way to get decent sound from your DAP to your vehicle.

Some cars (notably, a lot of Mazdas) have proprietary head units with no aux-in capability, so this may not be an option. There are ways of hacking tape decks for those cars to accept an aux in, but there may be issues with static discharge and EMI interference with the "usual" ways of DIYing the RCA jacks.

FM transmitters may suck, but imho they're the least troublesome choice for a lot of people.

Jun 8, 2004 at 11:05 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor
His car is a 1979 Caprice without Aux in. Would it be worth it to upgrade the head unit?

That's up to him.

I wasn't gonna say this out loud, but I'll tell you a little secret.

When I go on long drive trips, especially at night, I just use headphones with my JB3.
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back