recabling??????
May 30, 2005 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

gradojunkie

Head-Fier
HOW DO YOU OPEN UP THE GRADO CANS?

I have a pair of SR-125's and I want to open them up to recable them, but I dont know how! I dont want to hurt the poor things, could somone help me with advice, pic's, or emotional support
tongue.gif

Thanx

Gradojunkie

May 30, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 11
The cups are glued together and held in place by either 3 or 4 extrusions on the inside of the outer cup. You need to either break the glue or soften it with heat. Then you can use a small flat screwdriver to pull the outer cup away from the inner cup to pull the extrusions out of the groove on the outside of the inner cup. You'll have to do that a few times around the circumference of the cup to get all of them out of the groove. Then you pull the inner cup out.

May 30, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 11
I used a jewelers screwdriver and pried one side then the opposite side.. rince recycle repeat, I didnt use a hair dryer though, I didnt want to damage those paper drivers.

May 30, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 11
Neither did I, but it seemed less insane than using warm water. Just check out bhd812's thread in the member's lounge.
Paper driver? mine was more like polypropylene or some other very fine, soft plastic.

May 30, 2005 at 6:53 AM Post #6 of 11
Doesn't headwize have a collected Grado mods page? I believe that's where I got the idea on how I opened up my Grado cans. I used a fork! A spoon will also do, anything with a taper really. This is how I did it: first I oriented my can vertically with the fork vertical and points facing up, I then placed the neck of the fork (right below the forks head) flat up against the can in the gap between the inner and outer pieces pieces of the cup using my thumb to keep it flush, then I gently pushed the bottom of the fork up towards the ceiling a little bit rotating the cup around as I went, gradually making the gap bigger and bigger until the two pieces were separated.

I found this a lot easier than heating up the cans or putting them in a cookie sheet of water, but YMMV. And like I said, visit headwize here for a better idea and a picture, it seemed to work for me. One word of advice though, don't do what they say to remove the buttons. After I took off the cups I set the outer cup down with the button facing the floor, I heated the back of the button with a blow dryer and it popped right off WITHOUT deforming it like headwize suggests with pliers. This way I can reattach it if I want when I get some new screen material.

Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 11
Ok, one question. After you take them apart, how do you get them back together? Do you need a special glue? Do you just pop 'em back on?

junkie

May 30, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #8 of 11
I just pushed the two halves back together, there is enough friction to hold them I would think. If you really wanted to, I guess you could heat up the outer cup that has the glue before putting the halves back together.

May 30, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #9 of 11
ok, I've tryed the boiling water method and no luck. Can you explain this fork method you have a bit more?

junkie

May 30, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gradojunkie
Ok, one question. After you take them apart, how do you get them back together? Do you need a special glue? Do you just pop 'em back on?

junkie

If you remove the cup more than a couple of times, you might have to glue it back together, but if you do it just once or twice, there should be enough friction for it to not be a problem.

May 30, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gradojunkie
ok, I've tryed the boiling water method and no luck. Can you explain this fork method you have a bit more?

junkie

Go to the headwize page that I linked in my previous post, there is an illustration their that might clear up some confusion. If this still doesn't work, lemme see about getting some pics posted...I'll have to find a new battery for my digital camera, hold please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back