Recabling Stax (and other Electrostatics)
Jun 25, 2008 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

antonyfirst

Headphoneus Supremus
I have this idea in mind, to recable an old pair of electrostatic headphone I have (the cable is a bit worn), but I am wondering if I could do that with the same wires used by dinamics.
I am asking to the gurus if it's doable. I really wouldn't want to buy a special (and expensive) cable for the task.

Jun 25, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 11
He says the cable is worn.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 11
Yes, I had to add it later since I missed it at first. The wear is only aesthetic, so I might simply add a nice cover to the cable.

Jun 25, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 11
The cables need to be able to withstand AT LEAST double the bias voltage. you could argue that you can get away with slightly less based on general application, but this is a weak argument at best with no safety factors. since any of the high-end amps here can swing at least double the bias voltage p-p, stator to stator it is better to have just the headphones destroyed in an accident than the amp too.

Most cabling used for dynamics will not be adequate.

just buy a new cable from the manufacturer. since most electrostatic headphones have the ends molded onto the cable, you will get the nice end-parts (where it goes into the headphone) too.

Jun 26, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 11
I wouldn't say that pro bias 'phones need wire rated at 1.2kv. I don't think they have that from the factory. Keep in mind that the amount of current it's going to carry is very very small.

But 600v rated wire is a good idea. most wire is rated for 300v, and that's kinda cutting it a little thin, especially for pro bias phones with 580vdc going through the cable.

It can be fairly thin, but, just try and find a good deal on 28awg 600v wire. I dare ya.

Jun 26, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't say that pro bias 'phones need wire rated at 1.2kv. I don't think they have that from the factory. Keep in mind that the amount of current it's going to carry is very very small.

But 600v rated wire is a good idea. most wire is rated for 300v, and that's kinda cutting it a little thin, especially for pro bias phones with 580vdc going through the cable.

It can be fairly thin, but, just try and find a good deal on 28awg 600v wire. I dare ya.

Voltage is across two points. There is no actual "flow" of voltage; only current flows.
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Voltage is across two points. There is no actual "flow" of voltage; only current flows.
biggrin.gif

Voltage is potential.

Technically there is no DC path between the stators and the diaphragm on a 'stat. But the potential at the diaphragm is 580v on pro bias 'phones.

Jun 26, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Voltage is potential.

Technically there is no DC path between the stators and the diaphragm on a 'stat. But the potential at the diaphragm is 580v on pro bias 'phones.

Voltage is the hill's height, current is the stream of water. Just saying so that noobs don't get confused; I trust you know your stuff.

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

On a normal bias headphone a 600v wire is more then enough but I would go to at least 1kV or preferably 2kV for a Pro bias headphone. A Blue Hawaii pumps out much more then 1kV wort of drive voltages and can go even higher so I wouldn't want an arc at those voltages and with all that current behind them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back