Recabling question SE to Balanced
Sep 7, 2009 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

wower

1000+ Head-Fier
Ah, all the offerings from APS, Moon Audio and Headroom are grand, but they leave one question about re-cabling a high-end headphone outstanding in my mind: If I opt for single ended re-cabling now because that's what my amp (and budget) accepts and in the near future collect D7000, HD800 and AD2000 re-cabled in SE termination, am I shooting myself in the foot in way way off future when I go balanced? Are different types of cables used for SE and balanced termination? Do I lose length on a custom cable when re-terminated balanced? Do I need to specify that to the modder prior to getting it done so that the proper wire is use and some extra length is tacked on? What is the process? I can't be the only one with such a question.

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are different types of cables used for SE and balanced termination? Do I lose length on a custom cable when re-terminated balanced? Do I need to specify that to the modder prior to getting it done so that the proper wire is use and some extra length is tacked on? What is the process?

The only answer for all of your answers is 'Nope'
wink.gif

All you need is to change the connector from 1/4" to balanced XLR and there is no length loss/more.

But there is one point you should consider that not all stock cables can be reterminated easily into balanced. The AD2000 is one example.

Sep 7, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only answer for all of your answers is 'Nope'
wink.gif

All you need is to change the connector from 1/4" to balanced XLR and there is no length loss/more.

But there is one point you should consider that not all stock cables can be reterminated easily into balanced. The AD2000 is one example.

Well, technically the cables could be different between the single-ended and balanced since the ground is shared on the single-ended. Still, I can't think of any reason why an aftermarket cable would run a common ground and then split it off at the Y as opposed to running two grounds.

Sep 8, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course I can use a balanced cable in single-ended configuration for a while right?

Yeah, the only requirement for a cable to work in balanced mode is that it has four separate wires, two sets of two wires for each channel. On a single-ended cable, the two ground wires are shorted together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back