Recabling Headphones w/ Cat 5
May 30, 2005 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Naga

500+ Head-Fier
The suggestion was given a few places, how good is it compared to canare or mogami recablings? are there any distinct benefits to using ethernet cables to recable headphones?

May 30, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #2 of 31
Depends really. Ethernet cable is relatively good sonically. Make sure you get cable with teflon dielectric and not PVC. Also watch out for solid core cable. That'll drive u nuts on headphones.

Other then that each strand is 24awg, so 3 strands alone should be sufficient for a headphone cord.

May 30, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #3 of 31
Advantages, at least for me is cheapness and easy availability. I can buy it from quite a few stores in my area for 10 cents a foot or less. Instant gratification and no waiting for stuff to arrive in the mail.

However, I do not know how stranded network cable sounds, I use only solid core Cat-6 cables since I don't care about flexibility. I also haven't heard Canare or Mogami cables so I don't know how they sound either. I can say that it definitely sounds better than stock Sennheiser cables.

May 30, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga
stock senn 497 cables are awful

Really? I've thought about making a new cable for mine, but sadly the 2.5mm jacks in the earcups are too deep inside (and the entry hole is too small) for all 2.5mm plugs I've seen.

May 30, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by arspy87
Really? I've thought about making a new cable for mine, but sadly the 2.5mm jacks in the earcups are too deep inside (and the entry hole is too small) for all 2.5mm plugs I've seen.

i dont think too much of the cable or plug really - you have to shave or file the plug enclosure down to get it in there

May 31, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 31
I was actually thinking about doing this mod myself! The cable on my 497s is cracking on both sides right at the strain relief (go figure) and I am getting a bit worried. Unfortunately I am busy with other mods and DIY projects at the moment, but I will be looking into maybe a Starquad upgrade in the near future
280smile.gif

May 31, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga
The suggestion was given a few places, how good is it compared to canare or mogami recablings? are there any distinct benefits to using ethernet cables to recable headphones?

just did standard cat5e recable on my beyers
smily_headphones1.gif
*gasp*

(pvc sheath, solid cu, 24awg)

i ran two conductors for ground, and 3 conductors for each channel from the mini plug. Sounds great. sadly the solid core is a bit odd feeling, but sounds good. Now I need to bite the bullet and get some new velours.

although in my case it was a repair job as the jack was shorting ground and one of the channels.

Jun 1, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #9 of 31
dump it and get urself some Teflon coated wires. PVC is nasty!

Jun 1, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
Depends really. Ethernet cable is relatively good sonically. Make sure you get cable with teflon dielectric and not PVC. Also watch out for solid core cable. That'll drive u nuts on headphones.

Other then that each strand is 24awg, so 3 strands alone should be sufficient for a headphone cord.

dont you mean 4 conductors, not 3?

Jun 2, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
dump it and get urself some Teflon coated wires. PVC is nasty!

actually not really. I don't go portable with the beyers, so its not big of a deal. I semi-braided the 8 wires and it coils nicely actually. Unless you were referring to pvc being sonically nasty, which I wouldnt know about. I guess I could go searching for various threads discussing the dialectric differences between the two.

Jun 3, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #13 of 31
sonically nasty. Apparently. That group buy for sennheiser plugs that happend at the begning of the year. All thoes cables were donated to us because they had PVC insulation accidently.

Apparenlty teflon is the only dielectric other then air that sounds great. But then I haven't played with PVC so I don't konw, I do know however that you can get Cat5 with teflon dielectric.

Jun 4, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #15 of 31
I'm really interested to see how it sounds compared to the 80ohm version (upcoming meet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back