Recabling for the Pioneer SE-700? (Desperate)
Sep 22, 2012 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

takato14

Headphoneus Supremus
I just received a <beautiful> pair of Pioneer SE-700s. I am absolutely in love with them, both looks and sound.

However, merely one day after I got them, the headphone side of the cable began going out. I desperately need someone to recable them, but they're so hard to work with I can't find anyone willing to take on the challenge.

I've already invested a lot of money into this headphone and I'm not going to back down now. Does anyone know who I could go to? Anyone here in the recabling business willing to help me out?

Sep 22, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 14
Contact Brian from BTG Audio.  He'll take good care of 'em for ya!

Here he is on Head-Fi...  http://www.head-fi.org/u/178226/pingupenguins

Sep 22, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
Contact Brian from BTG Audio.  He'll take good care of 'em for ya!

Here he is on Head-Fi...  http://www.head-fi.org/u/178226/pingupenguins

Already asked Brian. He is overloaded with headphones that piled up over his vacation time and cannot take the time to fiddle with the SE-700s. Maybe he'll do it later; I don't know. He didn't say.

Anyone else? 

Sep 22, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
Already asked Brian. He is overloaded with headphones that piled up over his vacation time and cannot take the time to fiddle with the SE-700s. Maybe he'll do it later; I don't know. He didn't say.

Anyone else? 

Sorry, I'm at a loss there.  I haven't needed anything crazy that I can't handle myself so far.  But if I ever did need pro work done on something, Brian would be my "Goto" guy. 
smile.gif

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 14
Damn.

Bump.

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 14
Bump again... 

Sep 23, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 14
Hey takato, it just occured to me that you might want to ask BrownBear.

We were talking about vintage Pioneers in this thread.  I would assume that not all of his units were immaculate when he got them, so he might know someone that could help you out.

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
Hey takato, it just occured to me that you might want to ask BrownBear.

We were talking about vintage Pioneers in this thread.  I would assume that not all of his units were immaculate when he got them, so he might know someone that could help you out.

Thanks, but the SE-700s are literally one of the hardest headphones to work with. It's nothing like working with an SE-L40 or an SE-205. The metal ring on the back is glued on, and there are screws under it. The wires have to go around the edges of the driver because the casing is so thin, and the driver has to be removed to remove the strain relief. And the driver is cemented into place and is fragile. 

All of these things coupled with the disassembly being a pain in the ass makes this thing a real hassle to mess with.

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
Thanks, but the SE-700s are literally one of the hardest headphones to work with. It's nothing like working with an SE-L40 or an SE-205. The metal ring on the back is glued on, and there are screws under it. The wires have to go around the edges of the driver because the casing is so thin, and the driver has to be removed to remove the strain relief. And the driver is cemented into place and is fragile. 

All of these things coupled with the disassembly being a pain in the ass makes this thing a real hassle to mess with.

Well, assuming that Brian's schedule clears up sppn, I'll bet he's dying to work on the SE-700 after that description! 
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

Well, assuming that Brian's schedule clears up sppn, I'll bet he's dying to work on the SE-700 after that description! 
biggrin.gif

Not quite. Though I'm sure he'd love having a picture of these to show off in his album, he's making me a cable and I'm going to recable them myself. I managed to get the metal ring off, and I'm fairly good with a soldering iron... hopefully I can do it.

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #11 of 14
Scratch that, I don't have $60 to spend on a cable. I've already put $180 into these headphones, and though they are quite good, I'm not putting more money into them.

Instead I just snipped the cord off, removed the section of the cord that was shorting, and soldered the remainder to the inside. They work perfectly now. <3

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
Scratch that, I don't have $60 to spend on a cable. I've already put $180 into these headphones, and though they are quite good, I'm not putting more money into them.

Instead I just snipped the cord off, removed the section of the cord that was shorting, and soldered the remainder to the inside. They work perfectly now. <3

LOL, well that is one way to go!  But glad to hear that you've got it working.  Now to put in some decent listening time. 
wink.gif

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #13 of 14
Yeah... except I don't have an amp good enough for them yet, so I'm not getting the full picture.

They sound alright out of an iPod, but not how they should sound.

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
Yeah... except I don't have an amp good enough for them yet, so I'm not getting the full picture.

They sound alright out of an iPod, but not how they should sound.

Total Airhead's only half price ATM... might want to jump on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back