Recabling for iphone, anyone else interested?
Sep 27, 2008 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

b00tang

Head-Fier
I'm sorry if you hate iphones or hate this thread. I just want to find out if anyone else uses his/her iphone to listen to music on the go and wishes that someone would offer a cable so they could easily skip songs with a click of a button or answer calls on a built in mic. V-mode offers the duos if you decide to go that way, UE offers the vi line if you don't already have some non vi headphones... there are more out there too...

Am I the only one who wishes that there were more options for iphone compatibility? Why won't UE offer their vi cable as an upgrade accessory? why aren't there more options so that I can use my current iems (or cans for that matter I suppose) conveniently with my iphone? I guess maybe it is because I'm the only person trying to do this. I guess I'm posting this to see if I really am the only one. Any other iphone users out there? Or did you all already solve this problem some other way?

Sep 27, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 23
when i had my iphone.. i stripped off the original buds and drivers and replaced them with the OVC TC20.. 20 minutes job.. great sound, works perfectly

Sep 27, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 23
alright I guess I'm the only one then... I'll just go the DIY method like ah_long suggested. Ordered a UE replacement cable and I'm going to hack the original buds off and replace them with the connectors from the cable. I'd love to see a fancy nicely made solution, but I guess there isn't enough interest in that so it makes sense that no one is making it

Sep 27, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 23
I Bought some iPhone earbuds trough eBay, and I modded a PX100 and a K81DJ on them. Couldn't be happier!
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by b00tang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
alright I guess I'm the only one then... I'll just go the DIY method like ah_long suggested. Ordered a UE replacement cable and I'm going to hack the original buds off and replace them with the connectors from the cable. I'd love to see a fancy nicely made solution, but I guess there isn't enough interest in that so it makes sense that no one is making it

you're not the only one here. I researched this forever, my solution was to use the shure mpa mic with the denon ah-c751s.

I'd love to recable the denon's but no one has offered advice on how to do so. No one has done the atrios either.

Anyone...anyone? Buller?

Oct 1, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #7 of 23
I'm still going through with my plan to cut the buds off my iphone headphones and replace them with connectors that will fit the triple.fis... but then that means I'm going to have a P.O.S. cable, and I've seen plenty of threads talking about how good cables make a difference on the triple.fis... I think I'm going to look into making this a seriously hacked together job and potentially order some new wire to solder in between the connectors. Starting to look like a topic for the DIY forums

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #8 of 23
just get the shure MPA its great and the mic sound quality is fantastic as well as shure made their name making microphones. rather than hacking into your existing cable which is a risky option and you may not end up with a slick solution. I use the shure MPA any time i'm not in the mood to carry an amp around with me. I think griffin make one as well; I forget the model name but they are suppose to be at least competitive with the MPA.
Griffin Technology: Headphone Adapter. I have the SE530's, so the shure MPA was an obvious choice for me. I especially like the styling and i'm a long time user of shure mics so I trust them implicitly. the griffin option is suppose to have slightly better noise canceling, while the shure has better overall audio quality. I'm always getting comments from friends on how clear my phone calls are even while i'm on the road. and the ability to answer calls, play, pause and skip back and forth is really handy; I almost never need to take my phone out of my pocket while i'm using it. Only problem is that if you are using the iphone line out for music with an amp when you get a call the call is routed to the headphone out, speaker or bluetooth (it prompts you to choose if you have bluetooth which I do) sometimes I use the earpiece and sometimnes I just swap out of the amp and plug into the HP out.

there are other (more inferior/cheaper) options that I cant think of at the moment; I researched it pretty thoroughly when I got the phone but I ended up going with the shure.

hope this helps.

by the way I hate all these people that just bash the iphone just because its so popular; the Sound quality out of the line out is really good; and the HP out isn't bad either, probably the best HP out in the apple line up; on par with the GEN 2 touch.

hope this helps

Oct 8, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #9 of 23
Well, the MPA adaptor sounds like a decent solution, but I don't like the idea of having a long cord on my headphones that I then have nothing to do with... might still consider it though. In the mean time, I have done a horrible horrible thing. Behold:
as7pw.jpg

Just as I described above, spliced the ends of a replacement UE cable onto an iphone headphones cable. I've only had it done for about a day so far so I haven't passed judgement on SQ yet, but so far any sounds differences aren't blatant. Maybe the stock triple.fi cable really is THAT bad. huh.

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that engineering homework? or Physics?

lol i was wondering about that as well...

when i first saw the pic, it wasn't the phones that came to my mind rather it is the paper that is under it with all those symbols i dont understand T_T
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #14 of 23
what the... you are supposed to be looking at the headphones!!! haha

I've seen comments in other posts from people who contacted UE and were told the cable would not be sold separately (bastards), but you are right that would be perfect.

As for the er6i that would be a good solution for someone buying new looking for headphones in that range. Me? I don't think I could give up my triple.fis now that I have tried them... my ears are spoiled now.

If you really have to know about the background I'm a grader for a plasma physics class at Columbia. So points to nsx for guessing physics. But come on.... look at that ridiculously ghetto cable mod!

Now that I've tasted success I'm going to start looking into doing it with better wire, I'll sit down with a multimeter and figure out how the remote works.

Mar 25, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #15 of 23
Alright, I'm resurrecting this thread. Apologies to everyone who hates when that happens. I'm talking right now with the infamous Germania about her potentially making a proper cable with an iphone button and remote in it for use with UE or similar IEMs. Anyone else still interested in such a thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back