Recabling Denon D2000, do it or not ?
Sep 11, 2009 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mirh

Head-Fier
I’ve just bought second hand Denon AH-D2000. I like it’s rather dark sound signature (I use it with squeezebox and beresford 7520 DAC/headamp).
Maybe a little bit (not very much, really) control over bass, but other things are ok for me.
What can I expect when I only recable it? I’m considering buying of 50ft DIY 22 gage Ultra Wire Jena cable (I’ll recable myself). Would be changes really audible or only very, very subtle?
Is it really worth of doing it? I paid for 2 years old Denon (looking very good) only 150$ and cable will cost 250$ so I’m hesitating a bit ...

BTW
I know about Markl mod and if I decided to do this I would do partial (just for bass tightening).

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #2 of 16
I wouldn't recable it. Not with Jena anyways as 250$ is expensive and that 250$ is better spend elsewhere (mod, new amp, source etc.)

Sep 11, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't recable it. Not with Jena anyways as 250$ is expensive and that 250$ is better spend elsewhere (mod, new amp, source etc.)

New headphones ?
ph34r.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would be changes really audible or only very, very subtle?
Is it really worth of doing it? I paid for 2 years old Denon (looking very good) only 150$ and cable will cost 250$ so I’m hesitating a bit ...

I don't think it's worth it and if you still want to recable them I'd suggest getting a 'normal', much cheaper cable.

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #6 of 16
Guys, have you recabled any headphone or it is just prejudice that it doesn’t influence on sound ?
confused_face(1).gif

Is ther any cheaper alternative to D2000 stock cable (rather poor) ?
Many users of Creative Aurvana Live! use Conducfil SONOLENE 3014 cable (much cheaper than Jena) with good (they claimed that
tongue_smile.gif
) results ...

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #7 of 16
Don't recable

Sep 11, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #9 of 16
Yes, a cable replacement helps a lot. I have both the Denon 5000, which needed the MARKL mod and the 2000 which didn't need the MARKL mod after I upgraded the cable. I used Canare L-4E5C Miniature Star-Quad (0.189in O.D.) Audio Cable and it sounds great. Easy to do and not expensive at all. I actually listen to the 2000s more than the 5000s since they sound every bit as good and weigh a lot less since I didn't have to stuff the earpieces with all that heavy, sticky sound absorber.

Canare Corporation Of America Canare L-4E5C Miniature Star-Quad (0.189in O.D.) Audio Cable Bulk Audio Cable at Markertek.com

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... or it is just prejudice that it doesn’t influence on sound ...

It's the other way around really.
wink_face.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #11 of 16
I have thought about recabling my d2000 in the future, but in the mean time, I did the markl mod. It was pretty easy to do and made a pretty noticeable difference in sound. Vocals were brought forward more and the bass tightened up. The only thing is that it did make the HP heavier, but not by much. I'm glad I did the mod.

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #12 of 16
Dew Eeet!!

I would go to Ebay and buy some silver plated copper wire from Navships and use it. Even if it doesn't improve the sound quality to your ears, it's better than that damn stock cable.

Oh yeah...and DIY is fun so it's a win/win.
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back