Recable RS-2's ???
Jul 15, 2006 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

MrFaust

1000+ Head-Fier
I know they are new and are actually still in the burn in process (7 days left) but I was wondering if anyone has recabled their RS-2's? If so what cables where used? What differences where noticed? Who did the work? How much was the recabling $? Can you post pictures as well if you have. TIA

For now I am using a Total Bithead 2006 amp/dac but do plan to get a Darkvoice 336 when my wallet permits as well.

Jul 15, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #2 of 13
If I was going to recable my RS-2's, I think the Black Dragon by Moon Audio is what I would go with. Of course, how much of an improvement would that $495 charge for the recable get me? 1.5% ?

Jul 15, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #3 of 13
Buy the DarkVoice first. Then give the stock cable a few months. Heck, you're still burning in. How do you already know the stock cable doesn't "sound" good to your ears? Give it a chance; Grado does not make junk.

If you're still tempted to drop large cash on a cable, try buying a HD-650 or K-701 first. You'll save money and get that different sound signature you're after.

Jul 15, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
Buy the DarkVoice first. Then give the stock cable a few months. Heck, you're still burning in. How do you already know the stock cable doesn't "sound" good to your ears? Give it a chance; Grado does not make junk.

If you're still tempted to drop large cash on a cable, try buying a HD-650 or K-701 first. You'll save money and get that different sound signature you're after.

Oh I know the RS-2's sound absolutely fantastic once they are properly burned in. I got to hear a pair last week. And my plans are to get the Darkvoice and a pair of AKG K701's. That pairing alone was heaven! I was just curious if anyone has recabled and what difference it made for them.

Jul 15, 2006 at 12:00 PM Post #5 of 13
I've got my sights set on a pair of RS-2s at the moment and have pretty much read every post in every thread ever written on them in the history of Head-Fi.

...well.....I don't think I've missed many.....I'm still looking!!

But for some reason, Grado phones don't seem to get all that many recablings! I don't even recall seeing one on an RS-2.

And yes: If anyone can proove me wrong, please do! That would mean I missed looking somewhere!!

EDIT: I DO remember a reason why some folks recable Grados!! I don't have the problem myself with my MS-1s; but some Grados seem to have a problem with their cables "twisting-up" and being very annoying! It doesn't effect the sound, just bugs the folks that have this problem!

Jul 15, 2006 at 1:38 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
But for some reason, Grado phones don't seem to get all that many recablings! I don't even recall seeing one on an RS-2.

The reason why you don't see hardly any people recabling the wooden Grados (RS-1/2, MS-Pro) is because of the difficulty of removing the drivers from the wooden cups. They are well glued in. Larry himself (of Headphile) has said he won't touch them for fear of damaging the wood. One guy has done it, but his RS-1 was really old and the glue was all dried up and easy to chip off and remove.
Of course, now with the RS-1 and GS-1k, you can have a custom Moon Audio installed at the factory.

Jul 15, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #7 of 13
I would not go the recable route as my first option. Instead I would get a Mapletree Ear Purist + HD headphone amp. It will make any Grado sing.
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
I would not go the recable route as my first option. Instead I would get a Mapletree Ear Purist + HD headphone amp. It will make any Grado sing.
biggrin.gif

Do you work for Mapletree? :lol:

You seem to really like that amp.

Jul 15, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
Do you work for Mapletree? :lol:

You seem to really like that amp.

No I do not, but I love that amp. Both from the sound and from the looks. It is retro looking and also because it is all point to point with no circuit boards.

xs.php
[/url][/IMG]

Jul 15, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69
The reason why you don't see hardly any people recabling the wooden Grados (RS-1/2, MS-Pro) is because of the difficulty of removing the drivers from the wooden cups. They are well glued in. Larry himself (of Headphile) has said he won't touch them for fear of damaging the wood. One guy has done it, but his RS-1 was really old and the glue was all dried up and easy to chip off and remove.
Of course, now with the RS-1 and GS-1k, you can have a custom Moon Audio installed at the factory.

Right you are! Larry even had some less than kind comments about the quality of the wood! Yeah!

I remember now. I was looking for info about wooden housings rather than re-cabling. It got me going on the relative sizes between RS-1 and RS-2 housings.

....we don't wanna go there.

Jul 15, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
No I do not, but I love that amp. Both from the sound and from the looks. It is retro looking and also because it is all point to point with no circuit boards.

xs.php
[/url][/IMG]

That is a pretty sweet looking amp. Bet it sounds killer too.

Oct 29, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #13 of 13
biggrin.gif

I would recommend this option. I have a Mapletree Ear +Purist 150.it has fantastic synergy with my RS2i. In particular, good soundstaging with excellent seperation and a more realistic timbre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back