[Rec] IEMs around $200
Nov 18, 2017 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

willybravo

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone

My current Hifiman RE-0's are starting to break at the cable connection to bud so I thought it was a good excuse for some new ones.. slash an upgrade.

Initially I thought I had nailed the timing as Hifiman has an awesome black Friday sale on the RE-600S which would be a decent upgrade but unfortunately looks like it is now out of stock.

So that brings me back to square one...

Music I generally listen to and enjoy would be electronic, dance, new wave, vocal, classic rock and perhaps a bit of pop/indie. Fav bands include Bon Iver, The xx, Pink Floyd, Whitney, Flume, Led Zeppelin, RY X, HONNE, Arcade Fire, Chet Faker, St. South, Hot Chip, TV on the Radio, alt-J, xxyyxx just to name a random selection.

In terms of the sound signature I'm after, I would probably be leaning towards Bassy but also enjoy Balanced.

My budget sits around $200 plus or minus a bit for the right IEMs. I have an entry level full size headphone setup at home so these will primarily just be used with Spotify on my phone at work or when out and about.

Any help and recommendations would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 13
The Sennheiser IE80 should suit your needs well :)

Nov 18, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #3 of 13
Lz-A4. Big bass and wide soundstage. one of the best tunable hybrid iems at this price range. My take.

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #5 of 13
1More Quad Drivers.

Nov 19, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #7 of 13
Used Shure 535s can be found for a touch more than 200.
I go the RE600s V2 off a similar sale last year and LOVE them. But they didn't sound great until I got some comply's on them. Just a heads up.
Occasionally, Massdrop has the Noble X, which is great sounding IEM. I think they went for closer to 250 though.

Nov 20, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 13
thanks for the suggestions guys - I think I'm leaning towards the 1More quads at this stage...

Would anyone be able to offer up the relative pros / cons between the 1More Quads - IE80 - Lz-A4 ?

Nov 20, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #9 of 13
I think a YouTube reviewer, Soulsik, compares Lz-a4 with the IE80. Read the other reviews and you'll get a general consensus on everyone's take. I haven't heard the quads unfortunately

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #10 of 13
+1 for the RE600s V2. I see them on sale for $99, can't beat that.

Nov 20, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #11 of 13
They seem to be back in stock! Now I have a dilemma as I've kind of built up my hopes on the 1More Quads... can anyone tell me why the RE-600S would be a better option? Obviously the sale / cost is hard to go past but what are the main sonic differences?

From what I gather, am I right in saying the RE-600S would be more neutral and balanced with a bit tighter bass and the Quads would be a bit more punchy and heavy on the bass with a warmer/brighter sound overall?

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #12 of 13
Nov 20, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #13 of 13
They seem to be back in stock! Now I have a dilemma as I've kind of built up my hopes on the 1More Quads... can anyone tell me why the RE-600S would be a better option? Obviously the sale / cost is hard to go past but what are the main sonic differences?

From what I gather, am I right in saying the RE-600S would be more neutral and balanced with a bit tighter bass and the Quads would be a bit more punchy and heavy on the bass with a warmer/brighter sound overall?
Noble just released the EDC Velvet as well. I'm waiting on reviews on those. I'm not sure about the 1More Quads but the RE-600s is neutral and has a tight crisp bass. Very much a step up from the RE-400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back