really cool grado experience
Jun 19, 2007 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Chiliman

500+ Head-Fier
so, i am just sitting here enjoying music through my grados, and i suddenly get the idea to turn on my speakers at the same time (playing the same music), since grados are so open, they really don't block out much noise.

What i got was really cool, i don't know how to describe it, it truly is the best of both headphones and speakers at the same time. You all should give it a try, it's really, really cool.

I think i will listen to music like this all the time from now on

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 3
Yeah it is fun to experiment like that from time to time.

Wait until you experience what this thing is capable of doing for your Grados.

I have one and use it from time to time when the wife isn't around for me to annoy, and the sensation it gives when paired with a set of Phones is incredible. Adds a whole new dimension to the Headphone listening experience. QUite frankly, I am shocked that there isn't more talk about this thing around here at Head-Fi, especially when you consider the fact that it would only cost $75ish dollars to try it out. Especially for the K-1000 fans. I mean it is even color matched to the K-1000s for crying out loud! It's almost like a sign from the Headphone Gods.

I find it is best to use it sparingly, the first thing one tends to do when you hook one up for the first time is to crank it to 11 so it rattles the teeth out of your head. Which as it turns out is fun for a few minutes, but not so much fun during a longer listening session.

The only complaint I had (which is a HUGE one) is that the two fans used to cool the amp are tiny, which means very high RPMs, which means very loud and whiny fan hum. My solution was to disconnect both fans, and run the amp with the lid off with a whisper quiet desktop fan blowing on it to keep her cool.

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 3
Open headphones + subwoofer is a nice combo. Especially very popular thing with AKG K1000 it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back