Really confused: iBasso DX50 or Fiio X5?
Jun 5, 2014 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

funkforfood

100+ Head-Fier
These days I read in the forum hundreds of pages related to the X3, the X5, the DX50 and DX90.
Based on my needs, I realized that I should probably buy the DX90, but at present, buying in Europe, this DAP is out of budget for my pocket.
I have rejected X3 (perhaps wrongly) as from your feedback, it seems to be the less neutral.
Remain available options X5 and DX50.
I listen to pretty much everything, from medieval music to electronic music, jazz and symphonic.
I am looking for an audiophile neutral sound, a good headstage, and with an extended, accurate but sweet top end.
Normally listening with Grado SR60i with a flat pads.
I avoided opening the thread, but I have not found in the forum a comparison between these devices.
Please, let me know!
Many thanks.

Jun 24, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 13
  These days I read in the forum hundreds of pages related to the X3, the X5, the DX50 and DX90.
Based on my needs, I realized that I should probably buy the DX90, but at present, buying in Europe, this DAP is out of budget for my pocket.
I have rejected X3 (perhaps wrongly) as from your feedback, it seems to be the less neutral.
Remain available options X5 and DX50.
I listen to pretty much everything, from medieval music to electronic music, jazz and symphonic.
I am looking for an audiophile neutral sound, a good headstage, and with an extended, accurate but sweet top end.
Normally listening with Grado SR60i with a flat pads.
I avoided opening the thread, but I have not found in the forum a comparison between these devices.
Please, let me know!
Many thanks.

Will be watching this thread, I'm in the exact same situation.

Jun 24, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 13
I have the Grado SR60i, the X5, DX90, and had the DX50. The DX50 had its limitations, but was a very nice DAP - however, both the DX90 and the X5 far outclass it in my opinion as a DAP. However, it is also my opinion that the headphone is far more important than the DAP in terms of reaching maximum SQ. I personally find the differences in sound quality between DAPs are measured by 1 percent differences where headphones are typically measured in 10 percent differences. In other words, there is more bang for the buck in headphone upgrades than DAP upgrades. This is to say that my expensive CIEMs sound significantly better with my iPhone than my my TF10s sound playing the same song through the X5, DX90, or even my desktop setup. In fact, my TF10s, Monster Coppers, or my HD595 are the limiting factor for my X5/DX90 keeping it from reaching its full potential. On the other hand, the DX90/X5 cannot take my LCD2 or the HD800 to their full potential, but the LCD2/HD800 can take the X5/DX90 to their full potential.

Personally, I am currently cleaning house, selling my extra items including my DX90 to purchase an HD800 to pair with my X5 for casual house listening. Building a system to take the HD800 to their full potential is another story.

Jun 24, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #5 of 13
I own the DX50, I got to trial the X5 for 10 days, and I've listened to the X3 and DX90 for ~1 hour.

That said. for SQ, I personally vote:
1. DX90
2. DX50
3. X5
4. X3

This was before the first FW update for the X5 though, so that might have helped a little. Maybe others can comment.

I disliked the UI of the X3 and X5. A lottttt. The wheel on the x5 was annoying and the diagonal buttons on the x3 drove me crazy. I've decided I just need a touchscreen on my DAPs unless they're very simple (like a clip+) Also, the X5 is pretty big and heavy. New firmware was just released today for the DX50, and its sounding better than ever. The DX90 is still a step up though.

Once nice thing about the DX50 is there are many (around 10 total, or 4 based off the new 1.5 firmware--Thanks DOC2008) firmware versions that you can choose from, each with a slightly different sound sig, so everyone should be able to find one that they like.

Anyways, I dont really care for the 'Fiio sound", so I vote you go iBasso. However, if you have experience with Fiio and like them, you'll like the X3 or X5. I think iBasso is more neutral though.

Just my opinion...

Jun 24, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 13
Very
  I have the Grado SR60i, the X5, DX90, and had the DX50. The DX50 had its limitations, but was a very nice DAP - however, both the DX90 and the X5 far outclass it in my opinion as a DAP. However, it is also my opinion that the headphone is far more important than the DAP in terms of reaching maximum SQ. I personally find the differences in sound quality between DAPs are measured by 1 percent differences where headphones are typically measured in 10 percent differences. In other words, there is more bang for the buck in headphone upgrades than DAP upgrades. This is to say that my expensive CIEMs sound significantly better with my iPhone than my my TF10s sound playing the same song through the X5, DX90, or even my desktop setup. In fact, my TF10s, Monster Coppers, or my HD595 are the limiting factor for my X5/DX90 keeping it from reaching its full potential. On the other hand, the DX90/X5 cannot take my LCD2 or the HD800 to their full potential, but the LCD2/HD800 can take the X5/DX90 to their full potential.

Personally, I am currently cleaning house, selling my extra items including my DX90 to purchase an HD800 to pair with my X5 for casual house listening. Building a system to take the HD800 to their full potential is another story.

Very interesting, so if you were me, would you get the FiiO X5 to use with only RHA MA750's, or the Ibasso DX50 to use with RHA MA750's AND Philips Fidelio X1's.

Jun 24, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 13
  Very

Very interesting, so if you were me, would you get the FiiO X5 to use with only RHA MA750's, or the Ibasso DX50 to use with RHA MA750's AND Philips Fidelio X1's.

I haven't hear either of those headphones so I cannot comment directly which is unfortunate because it is all about the pairing for me. But I can tell you that I agree that the DX90 and the DX50 are more neutral and probably easier to match up with a wider variety of headphones. However, I feel like I have to turn them up too much for my taste to get my preferred level of dynamics out of them. The X5 is more intimate, powerfully dynamic, warmer, and slightly aggressive making it much more exciting of a DAP with the right pairing and with thick rich textures that are great even at lower volumes - think junior balanced 901.

My Hidition NT6pro CIEMs are magical with the X5 hence my decision to keep the X5 given it is my go to portable headphone. The Hiditions eat up the extra power providing even extra extension both directions and have the clarity to make use of the rich texturing and very black background. However, the X5 may be too much for a warmer more sensitive headphone signature like my Coppers that it didn't pair well with. It did great with my warmer, less sensitive LCD2s though.

Jun 24, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 13
  I haven't hear either of those headphones so I cannot comment directly which is unfortunate because it is all about the pairing for me. But I can tell you that I agree that the DX90 and the DX50 are more neutral and probably easier to match up with a wider variety of headphones. However, I feel like I have to turn them up too much for my taste to get my preferred level of dynamics out of them. The X5 is more intimate, powerfully dynamic, warmer, and slightly aggressive making it much more exciting of a DAP with the right pairing and with thick rich textures that are great even at lower volumes - think junior balanced 901.

My Hidition NT6pro CIEMs are magical with the X5 hence my decision to keep the X5 given it is my go to portable headphone. The Hiditions eat up the extra power providing even extra extension both directions and have the clarity to make use of the rich texturing and very black background. However, the X5 may be too much for a warmer more sensitive headphone signature like my Coppers that it didn't pair well with. It did great with my warmer, less sensitive LCD

Well if I purchase the DX50 I save £120/200$ to go towards my first pair of open cans, is the DX50 80% of the X5? Or more like 50-60%?

Jun 24, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #9 of 13

My Hidition NT6pro CIEMs are magical with the X5 hence my decision to keep the X5 given it is my go to portable headphone. The Hiditions eat up the extra power providing even extra extension both directions and have the clarity to make use of the rich texturing and very black background. However, the X5 may be too much for a warmer more sensitive headphone signature like my Coppers that it didn't pair well with. It did great with my warmer, less sensitive LCD

Well if I purchase the DX50 I save £120/200$ to go towards my first pair of open cans, is the DX50 80% of the X5? Or more like 50-60%?

I sold my DX50 for under $200 and bought my X5 new for $350 if that helps. I do have to say that I really love my X5 and that it has brought my portable SQ with my CIEMs up to another level. However, given that it is a chicken or the egg question, IMO you get more bang for the buck with the headphone upgrade and then you can always upgrade the DAP later to take the headphone up another notch. I have been pleasantly surprised on how easy it has been to resell my gear and a small loss when I am ready to upgrade.

Jun 24, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #10 of 13
  I sold my DX50 for under $200 and bought my X5 new for $350 if that helps. I do have to say that I really love my X5 and that it has brought my portable SQ with my CIEMs up to another level. However, given that it is a chicken or the egg question, IMO you get more bang for the buck with the headphone upgrade and then you can always upgrade the DAP later to take the headphone up another notch. I have been pleasantly surprised on how easy it has been to resell my gear and a small loss when I am ready to upgrade.

Alright! Thanks, I think Ive made my mind up, DX50 + HP for now, then mayhe Xmas/Next year a FiiO X5.

Jun 24, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #11 of 13
In terms of SQ IMO it is 

DX90
X5
DX50
X3

The DX90 is the best overall player in my opinion and is the best in its price range. 

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #12 of 13
I have fiio x5 and ibasso dx50... Simply put the ibasso has darker sound but the bass can be destorted at times... Great though but I find using my west one um pro 20s I have to lower the bass and increase the 3k eq somewhat... Treble can be aweful and very lost compared to the x5... The x5 is far easier to listen to... All sound is well controlled. Bass is deep when needed but not warm in general. Only problem with x5 sound is it sounds very up front. Beautiful but practically inside my head. Even with sennheiser monuments or grados... The clarity of the x5 wins for me though even though at times I crave the dark edgy sound of the ibasso...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back