Ready to take the plunge!
Aug 13, 2008 at 10:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

maclrc

New Head-Fier
Hello All,

A few months back I began the process of switching most of my listening to headphones (mostly due to noise contraints).

I upgraded my Grado 125s to RS-1s, dusted off my seldom used X-CAN V3 (with X-PSU V3) and started listening. To be honest, I was disappointed. Mid range was oddly muffled and overal sound seemed harsh. Some posting here on head-fi helped me with the decision to change my van den hul first ultimate interconnect for chord chorus 2, this helped with the mids, but sound still a bit harsh for my tastes. I soon had the desire to try out some tube amps and recently purchased a darkvoice 336 SE. Probably in error, it came without any tubes so I picked up some RCA Grey Plate 6AS7Gs and Sylvania 6SN7GTBs on eBay. I have also ordered some Senn HD650s as, after demoing them, I think I will have 2 headphones that will cover most types of music (I find RS-1s wonderfully musical, but a bit bright for some music/recordings, 650s not quite so musical - still v good - but more laid back/warm - so much more comfortable too).

My set-up is now:

Sugden Masterclass CDP
Chord Chorus 2 interconnect
Darkvoice 336 SE amp
Grado RS-1 headphones/ Senn HD650 headphones

I really love the general sound of the darkvoice and think tubes are the way to go for me. However, I freely admit that the 336 is a bit of a lateral move from the X-CAN/X-PSU combo, different sound, similar SQ.

I'm not a huge fan of endlessly upgrading and tinkering with kit, so am now looking to buy a headphone amp that will last me for several years. I don't intend to change much of my other kit either, so I'm looking to finish my set-up.

Initial thoughts are either the EC Zana Deux or the WA5 LE.

EDIT: WA5 LE ruled out due to UK price ($500 shipping), unless people can give a very good reason for choosing it. The maxed out WA6 SE is a good option though, so can replace it's big brother in the line-up.

Please give your thoughts on the above and mention any other good contenders - the amp will ideally have good synergy with the RS-1s and HD650s, be warm sounding (not a fan of too much treble) and look good (I apologise for this vanity, but for the money this is important to me - on this note I really don't like the look of the Single Power amps...)

Apologies for the life story
o2smile.gif

PS: Budget is flexible but max of circa £1800/$3600

Aug 13, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #2 of 18
I think both, Zana and WA5, would be a great choice, however Zana isnt that warm sounding and never tried WA5 myself, only read up here.
But from what I read/know about Zana is that RS1 and HD650 would make a great match with her. Than again, I used Zana with GS1000 and heard&liked very much with HD650. recstar24 using Zana with RS1 and a lot more other guys with HD650 and all of them are really happy with her.

Aug 13, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #3 of 18
Thanks Blackmore. I've also read the Zana works extremely well with several headphones, makes it a clear favourite at this point.

Some research suggests the WA5 LE (maxed, but minus tube replacements) would set me back over £2100 ($4000). I think having the stock WA5 would be the only realistic option given price (£1550, $2900), shipping (included in those prices) is $500 though, so any later upgrades by Woo Audio would be eyewateringly expensive.

EDIT: unless people can suggest a very good reason to go with the WA5 LE (stock), I think I've ruled it out due to price, but replaced it in the list with the maxed WA6 SE.

The EC site still lists $1900 as the zana's price, is this still true? Also, are there different upgrade options on the Zana i.e will Craig max it for me? I should probably email him and ask...

Aug 13, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #4 of 18
Just pm Craig, he is always good with his answers within a day or so. Not sure about the upgrading the parts, never heard anyone talking about, so I guess all models are identical, which is great, imo. One thing to know, if that an issue for you, Zana gets pretty warm after couple of hours, so you have to create a REAL space for her. Also must be careful with those bulky tubes, which, in fact are, the HEATERS.
Ohter than that, great amp, imo.
beerchug.gif

Aug 13, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 18
Heat shouldn't be a problem as the amp won't be in a confined space or anything like that, I can even save on the heating bill during the winter
darthsmile.gif

Leaning towards the Zana at present, comparisons with the maxed WA6 SE anyone...

Aug 13, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 18
Surely someone must have some opinions on the WA6 SE (maxed) compared to the Zana... The WA6 SE (maxed) is seldom mentioned along with the Zana; I find this strange given the similar prices and good reputations of both makers.

I've also emailed Craig regarding upgrades and latest prices and will report back on what he says.

Aug 14, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #9 of 18
My vote goes to the WA5 LE.
It got some nice feedback around here (as well as the WA5), and seems like a really powerful and well made amplifier.

Aug 14, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My vote goes to the WA5 LE.
It got some nice feedback around here (as well as the WA5), and seems like a really powerful and well made amplifier.

Thanks for the input krmathis. I do love the idea of the WA5 LE, the major problem is the $500 Jack has quoted for shipping to the UK. It means I couldn't afford any upgrades on initial purchase and would have to do any future upgrades myself (as would cost a huge amount to ship to US and back).

I am going to look into asking Jack if he can find a cheaper way to ship the amp e.g. two parcels or slower mail etc.

Do you have any thoughts on the maxed WA6 SE as an alternative?

Aug 14, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #11 of 18
^ Thats a lot!
Yeah, shipping may sometimes kill an otherwise nice deal

Sorry, but I have not read much about the WA6 SE...

Aug 14, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Thats a lot!
Yeah, shipping may sometimes kill an otherwise nice deal

Sorry, but I have not read much about the WA6 SE...

It's a real shame. The WA5 LE is really the amp I've set my heart on. If I don't get some solid feedback on the WA6 SE compared to the Zana, I am probably going to hold off for a while longer until I can afford the maxed WA5 LE and then just bite the bullet on the shipping.

Aug 14, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #14 of 18
I voted for the WA-5LE. It's my favorite dynamic amp, regardless of price.

Caveat: My dynamic headphone of choice is the AKG-K701

Aug 19, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #15 of 18
Hi maclrc, do factor in tax&custom in UK!! That can go up to 30% of total cost - I was hit hard recently when I brought something from US ebay lol! Note they charge you custom for the good, the tax for the amp + custom(!) + postage(!), and probably a handling fee from your delivery person.......

My recommendation would be to find out the cost before purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back