Ready to make jump from portable. Need help. $800 budget
Nov 1, 2008 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

bce22

100+ Head-Fier
If there is anything I know it's that head-fiers know how to spend money.

I am looking to buy a non- portable amp with $800 and really don't know where to begin. Obviously I want a better amp than my iqube for non- portable. My source will stay the same. iPhone apple lossless files. I'll be using my grado rs-1 & Darth Beyers and maybe my at es7.

I'm not against tubes but have never used tube amps before. SS seems easier to me prob based on my ignorance.

What are my options based on my source and phones and budget? Help me spend my money
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 3
HeadRoom is about to have a "Killer Sale"! You may want to check their specials.

For $800 and for Grado's I would suggest you look into Mapletree Amps. The two have a tremendous synergy.

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by bce22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there is anything I know it's that head-fiers know how to spend money.

I am looking to buy a non- portable amp with $800 and really don't know where to begin. Obviously I want a better amp than my iqube for non- portable. My source will stay the same. iPhone apple lossless files. I'll be using my grado rs-1 & Darth Beyers and maybe my at es7.

I'm not against tubes but have never used tube amps before. SS seems easier to me prob based on my ignorance.

What are my options based on my source and phones and budget? Help me spend my money
wink.gif

Well... I would say kick the iPhone as the source.... use your computer and pickup a Benchmark DAC1 used on AudiogoN high end audio auctions, classifieds, hifi chat. Should be able to make that happen for <$800. I heard some Grado SR-225's hooked up to the DAC1 at the recent SoCal meet and was literally floored at how great the synergy was between those. I'd imagine the RS-1's would be just that much better.

Just a thought... you get a killer source and a great amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back