The question: Help me upgrade to my next headphone

The background:

Fairly new to this and have the following gear:

Sennheiser 58x
Hifiman 4xx

Massdrop CTH + SDAC
S.M.S.L. SP200 THX amp w/ Topping E30 DAC
older Schiit stack of Magni 3 and Modi 2 uber which I no longer use

As you can see from my list, I have been dipping my toes in lower midrange audio as I try to determine what it is I like. Using the 58x and the 4xx as baselines, I think I know what I want in my next headphone. To put it most simple, I would like to find something that has a forward midrange and strong vocals like the 58x, but with a bit larger soundstage and detail separation like the 4xx. I really don't have much issue with the bass of either headphone, but maybe I don't know what I am missing? From what I read, moving up the either the 6xx or Sundara for example, would be improvements, but probably not significant enough to justify the effort. So what would be some recommendations? Hopefully my post makes a bit of sense and I provided enough info to get some help.

Thanks!

Feb 5, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 7
The question: Help me upgrade to my next headphone

The background:

Fairly new to this and have the following gear:

Sennheiser 58x
Hifiman 4xx

Massdrop CTH + SDAC
S.M.S.L. SP200 THX amp w/ Topping E30 DAC
older Schiit stack of Magni 3 and Modi 2 uber which I no longer use

As you can see from my list, I have been dipping my toes in lower midrange audio as I try to determine what it is I like. Using the 58x and the 4xx as baselines, I think I know what I want in my next headphone. To put it most simple, I would like to find something that has a forward midrange and strong vocals like the 58x, but with a bit larger soundstage and detail separation like the 4xx. I really don't have much issue with the bass of either headphone, but maybe I don't know what I am missing? From what I read, moving up the either the 6xx or Sundara for example, would be improvements, but probably not significant enough to justify the effort. So what would be some recommendations? Hopefully my post makes a bit of sense and I provided enough info to get some help.

Thanks!
The 6XX’s are definitely not going to have a soundstage but do make up for it with great mids and nice detail. Though will have to say listening from a Drop Zen Can Signature 6XX and a Schiit Yggdrasil and have to stop and go back to listening.

Feb 5, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 7
Feb 7, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #5 of 7
I really enjoy my 58X, and found myself searching for the same things you are. I believe I found it in the Ibasso SR2. It checks all the boxes imo, but the soundstage isn't vastly superior. Mids are the star of the show, and they sound fantastic. Detail and instrument separation is much better. Also the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.

Feb 11, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 7
Bloom Audio has the SR2 in stock. That's where I bought mine. Very good service. You could also do some research on the Focal Elex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back