Read The Forums!!! Got much more trouble now! Cant decide between Altec Lansing UHP336 and Denon Ah-C551 and NuForce NE-8
Sep 8, 2009 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Baycode

Headphoneus Supremus
After reading for a week my brain is more fuzzy now
frown.gif

I really dont like the bass, soundstage, detail and isolation in Creative ep-630's. So now I need to upgrade. I need a canalphone better in these areas.

I will be using them with my 3 players:

Meizu Music Card 2GB
Meizu M6 4GB and
Ipod Nano 8GB 4th gen

Mostly listen to ambient, new age, classic, rock and pop.

I also own a Shellbrook Audio MiniHead Signature portable headphone amp. But I really dont like to use an amp
redface.gif

Any ideas and suggestions will be aprreciated. Especially from you: Headphoneus Supremus's
wink_face.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 23
Well, if I were you, I'd go for altec Lansing uhp336. I owned them once, they played with sansa clip. I think that with your meizu altec will play pretty cool too. They have really nice mids, not much bass, and they are detailed. For music you listen to they are really good option especially with their price. I haven't heard denons and nu-force so can't tell much about them. Maybe you should look at head direct re2, they are also a good way to go.

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 23
There are better options than the UHP336 in ur price range (assuming its $50-60).
you must consider the PL-50 and the RE-2 along with the NE-7/8. All three are highly regarded here.

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 23
I know most people simply state types of music they listen to, but it's a big gripe for me. The problem is it doesn't tell anyone else anything about how you like your music. I can say I like to listen to Korn, Jay Z, and Pink Floyd, but that tells you absolutely nothing about how I like my audio to sound. It simply states the type of music and artists I like. It's worthless information for others to point you to a product you will like. It's great information for others to point you to other bands you may like, but products, no, not helpful at all.

What kind of sound do you want?

Things like tonality, level of detail, crispness, necessary frequency response, smoothness of frequency response, personal preferences like good midbass kick or sharp highs, etc...

What do you want the headphones to sound like?

This is the type of information that will help us point you to a product you might actually like.

As well, you got a budget? What do you want to spend? What are you willing to spend if it means you get a significantly better product? For example, if your budget is <$100 but there is a product that costs $130 that is a significant step better then any $100 or less option, would you buy the $130 option? If you are willing to spend $130, are you willing to spend $150 if it means something significantly better? My question is, how much are you really willing to spend before you absolutely say that the price is too much to be reasonable for a pair of earphones? Basically I want to know the range you're shooting for, say $100 or less, and the maximum you are willing to step to, say $200 tops, no more.

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 23
The uhp336 are overrated at any price. The ne7 are far superior in every respect.

The uhp336 has severely rolled off treble. It also has low impedance and high sensitivity, which results in the most hiss I've ever heard from an earphone. Also, the sound signature is dark and not detailed.

It may appear that I'm bashing the uhp336 every time it comes up, but I really believe there are far better options for the money. I don't want to see you waste money on them.

Sep 8, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #6 of 23
Thank you guys. How about Nuforce 7m and 8 and MEElectronics AI M9 in comparison? I think finally I am in between these 3.

Sep 8, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 23
Thanks for the mentioning these. SoundMAGIC PL-50 were out of list because of the price. I have forgotten to mention my limit: 50-55 USD. Don't know much anout V-Sonic R02-Pro II and where to buy...

I also am considering MAXIMO iM-590.

So the final list may be like this:

Nuforce 7m (and 8)
MEElectronics AI M9
MAXIMO iM-590
V-Sonic R02-Pro II

It will be great to hear from someone who have tried them all.

Sep 8, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baycode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MEElectronics AI M9

I don't think you will be able to get these. I doubt that Overstock or Meelec ships to Turkey (without a large shipping rate).

Sep 9, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #10 of 23
PL50s are probably the easiest for you to get by far. Stay away from the Nuforce NE-8 as they (completely) lack bass and the NE-7M are superior in every way except soundstage. I also prefer the Ai-M6 to the Ai-M9 due to the fit but I agree that you may have problems getting your hands on them if you are in Turkey. The Im-590s are one of my favorite all-arounders due to the balanced sound, good build quality, and overall versatility.

So, for what it's worth (I've tried all the IEMs mentioned except the VSonics), I would probably say go for the PL50, followed closely by the NE-7M and Im-590. All three are great IEMs, but the PL50 wins in fit and comfort while the NE-7M has the best bass and the Im-590 has the best build and packaging.

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #12 of 23
Thank you guys! I live in Turkey but I have a couple of friends and relatives in US. So it will not be a problem to get them in my country (they can bring or ship for me).

I have 3 lovely headphones and sticked with them. AKG K340 Electrostat-Dynamics (fully moded), KSC-35's (recabled, 75ohm resistor moded and Kramer moded) and AKG K81DJ's(recabled, foam removed, senn HD-25 velour padded). I like these headphones sound signature. May be they are different, but I use them for different purposes...

I need something that will satisfy me with the music types that I listen to. And I really want something that will at least will be 2-3 years with me. So I need a durable earhone. And for the sound, I like detail, soundstage, accurate bass representation (not heavy, not bloated) and clear but not harsh highs. I like having "wow" effect when I wear a headphone.

By the way, my previous earphone was a Creative ep-630. I like their size and fit but the isolation were very very poor. And bass was bloated. I usually lover the bass on my eq while listening to them. And I think they are neaither detailed nor have a good soundstage.

My flavors may be smelled from these... Any more suggestions please?

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #14 of 23
What's your budget?

For bass, how low does it need to go? If the earphone rolls off at 50Hz or 60Hz, will it ruin the experience if +60Hz is great and not lacking? Can it be light on note (not missing) or does it need to be full and well bodied? Do you prefer punchier bass or something fuller and thicker?

For soundstage, do you need big or simply great definition and space? Are you simply looking for great instrument separation and location or do you specifically want an outside-of-head experience where the sound must be big and open?

For detail, do you simply want cleanliness or are you looking for something ultra-accurate? Do you find yourself to be easily fatigued or do you enjoy razor sharp details and great edge on notes? Or would you prefer something smoother, softer but still crisp?

Sep 10, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #15 of 23
Hi, my upper limit is 60 USD.

The headphones that I mention before can give some info about my tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back