Reaching Perfection... The One and Only...
Mar 28, 2010 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

MikePio

500+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I have been in this hobby for some time now, reading countless threads, opinions, reviews on headphones, all aiming for one thing, to be better than the next headphone... Always trying to push the bar higher, adding new technology, marking the pricer higher, implementing fancy designs... My point is, almost everyone seems to be looking for the next "perfect" headphone, but when will it end???? and since this hobby is so subjective, is this even possible? Once you have reached the high end cans, does the differences not come down to preference? I know some people prefer the K1000's to the HD800's, which is appalling to me, since all those years of technological advancement and mumbo jumbo, someone still might say that the K1000's do certain things better... So how much can a headphone really progress with time? How much can sound be refined, taking in consideration the audio frequency factor.... So finally my question is: What makes the perfect headphone, is it the hype, the price, the technology, or ultimately personal preference? I think this is why I decided to stop with my headphone purchasing, since it seems like everyone is trying to chase the dragon, but no one will ever catch it, a never ending addiction for something better, but in the end never being content with it... I realize this is part of the hobby, but I am just so tired! Sorry for the novel book, but I would like some opinions of other members and what they think about this. Thank you and cheers!
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 14
Perfection is simply the perfect word. Nobody's perfect but there are a few out there that is near or almost perfect. For me the meaning of perfect is simply being simple, knowing what you need at the moment is simply perfect!

At this time my K701 is perfect for me. I love my music more and more. This is what I need at this time. Time changes, needs changes, the word perfect changes, the quest continues...changing the world, making it go around and around.

I'm sorry guys if I become poetic at this time.

P.S. Kindly read my last question at my signature. That is the meaning of perfect headphone for me. Clue: It is written in green letters.

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 14
after out meet today, and finally getting to try some other phones, i think im lucky that ive already found my perfect phone, the jh-13's. I didnt hear anything at the meet that i liked more, or even as much. There were some i wouldnt mind owning, but only so i would have an open can. Though i am exicted to see what AKG comes out with for a new flagship this year, ill be keeping my eye on that one
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #5 of 14
So AKG is about to have a new can this year?

What is the current latest headphone? SRH series as I know is pretty new...

Mar 28, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So AKG is about to have a new can this year?

What is the current latest headphone? SRH series as I know is pretty new...

im pretty sure that is the rumor thats flying around, that they will be unvieling a new phone. Though i have my doubts it will pass the jh13's, im actually just hoping it matches them, and hopefully closer to 1000, and not 1400 like the hd800's
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #7 of 14
perfection isn't about price or the latest/greatest as so many seem to think. It's about finding the phone that best gels with you properly irrespective of price/make or reputation. There is no universal best even at the top end and people all have personal prefs as to what the best is. Most of the time we're fooling ourselves to an extent. I know very few who have a favorite they've stayed with for a great amount of time. That's why you still see O2, 800, K1000, R10 etc still popping up regularly for sale. There is no be-all end-all phone unless you are incredibly lucky and find the one that stops you looking or even using your other phones.

Mar 28, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikePio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know some people prefer the K1000's to the HD800's, which is appalling to me, since all those years of technological advancement and mumbo jumbo, someone still might say that the K1000's do certain things better...

One of the things I like about audio is that technological advancement, in the very modern sense, doesn't have a huge amount to do with good sound. The technology involved isn't governed by Moore's law, and equipment doesn't necessarily improve with each new generation, because there aren't really new generations. I think that's a difficult concept to comprehend for people raised on Engadget and Gizmodo.

Mar 28, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
perfection isn't about price or the latest/greatest as so many seem to think. It's about finding the phone that best gels with you properly irrespective of price/make or reputation. There is no universal best even at the top end and people all have personal prefs as to what the best is. Most of the time we're fooling ourselves to an extent. I know very few who have a favorite they've stayed with for a great amount of time. That's why you still see O2, 800, K1000, R10 etc still popping up regularly for sale. There is no be-all end-all phone unless you are incredibly lucky and find the one that stops you looking or even using your other phones.

too true.

Mar 28, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #10 of 14
I know whatcha mean. The pursuit for perfection(for me) is a tricky, costly endeavour. Retrospective of the Shannon limit, I from time to time wish there was a similar known bound so I know exactly when to stop but unfortunately there doesn't seem any. After all we all hear differently and have diverse idiosyncratic tastes...do we not?

Mar 28, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Hello everyone, I have been in this hobby for some time now, reading countless threads, opinions, reviews on headphones, all aiming for one thing, to be better than the next headphone... Always trying to push the bar higher, adding new technology, marking the pricer higher, implementing fancy designs... My point is, almost everyone seems to be looking for the next "perfect" headphone, but when will it end???? and since this hobby is so subjective, is this even possible?

Probably never, besides individual listeners subjectivity, recordings vary so drastically. It's not like there is a single paradigm used to produce recordings.

Quote:

Once you have reached the high end cans, does the differences not come down to preference? I know some people prefer the K1000's to the HD800's, which is appalling to me, since all those years of technological advancement and mumbo jumbo, someone still might say that the K1000's do certain things better... So how much can a headphone really progress with time?

As time goes on technology does progress. Unfortunately, the general thrust of progress is often not improvement of the product, but in developing ways to make the product cheaper.

Transducers (such as headphone elements) are FAR from perfect, but the development of really advanced drivers require significant investment only to produce a product with limited commercial potential.

Most headphone companies, I suspect, develop a driver and use it quite a while in a variety of models. The development of innovative drivers like Senn's ring radiator, Sony's Biocellulose unit, The AKG K-1000 driver, Beyer's Tesla and various electrostatic units are just not everyday events. So progress moves slow and older units can stay competitive.

Quote:

How much can sound be refined, taking in consideration the audio frequency factor.... So finally my question is: What makes the perfect headphone, is it the hype, the price, the technology, or ultimately personal preference?

Ideally, hype and price shouldn't enter into the assessment of a phone, though higher price can (but doesn't always), mean that more resources are available to make the product better. I happen to believe that the truth will out in these matters in the long run. And currently, no headphone sounds, or measures, perfectly.

Quote:

I think this is why I decided to stop with my headphone purchasing, since it seems like everyone is trying to chase the dragon, but no one will ever catch it, a never ending addiction for something better, but in the end never being content with it... I realize this is part of the hobby, but I am just so tired! Sorry for the novel book, but I would like some opinions of other members and what they think about this. Thank you and cheers!
biggrin.gif

I think this is natural. When you feel tired, it's time to back off and take a break. There is no shame in that and if and when your interest returns you can always re-engage.

Kevin

Mar 28, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #12 of 14
Thank you guys for the excellent responses, so in the end it all comes to individual preference. I must admit though, it is such an addictive hobby, if I had infinite funds, I would just buy everything!
evil_smiley.gif
Though in the situation I have now, which is the HE-5 headphone, I am just going to improve my source and amp with time, not the headphone, since I really enjoy the sound! I am actually getting a Parasound dac soon, and I am kind of scared that it will totally change the sound of my cans, which I love now... Oh well, I will just enjoy the music now... and save the $$$$ for some ladies lol! cheers!

Mar 28, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Thank you guys for the excellent responses, so in the end it all comes to individual preference. I must admit though, it is such an addictive hobby, if I had infinite funds, I would just buy everything!
evil_smiley.gif
Though in the situation I have now, which is the HE-5 headphone, I am just going to improve my source and amp with time, not the headphone, since I really enjoy the sound! I am actually getting a Parasound dac soon, and I am kind of scared that it will totally change the sound of my cans, which I love now... Oh well, I will just enjoy the music now... and save the $$$$ for some ladies lol! cheers!

Remember, the phones have better resale value.
wink.gif

Kevin

Mar 28, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #14 of 14
The perfect headphone would be immune to recording flaws, coloration due to mastering, source, and headphone amp. It would also be free with full lifetime warranty, lay golden eggs and grant wishes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back