RE262 vs BA200: A POLL
Feb 23, 2013 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

lasermd

New Head-Fier
RE262 vs BA200:  After some reading and suggestions made by other forum members, I've narrowed my selections to these two.  I can listen to most any genre, depending on my mood at the time.  What I'm really looking for is an IEM that will offer a great listening experience throughout a wide variety of music.  I'll be adding an E-11 amp at the same time, but don't want to be married to it 100% of the time (when traveling, etc.)  If you could persuade me between these two IEM's with your poll vote, I'd greatly appreciate it.  The best case scenario would have those votes coming from someone who's listened to both. 

Thanks in advance!

DW

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 17
So far it looks as if the BA200's have the lead, though only 7 votes is hardly scientific.  Please take a moment to cast your vote if you have an opinion between the BA200 and the RE262.

Thanks again,

DW

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 17
I really like the reviews on the BA200 and I was about to buy them, Amazon has them for about 135.00. But then i read a review on Sound and Vision that killed it, maybe they got a bad one? I went ahead and bought the GR07. I still want the BA200 maybe for me or my son, maybe someone could look at that bad review and change my mind. Thanks

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:
RE262 vs BA200:  After some reading and suggestions made by other forum members, I've narrowed my selections to these two.  I can listen to most any genre, depending on my mood at the time.  What I'm really looking for is an IEM that will offer a great listening experience throughout a wide variety of music.  I'll be adding an E-11 amp at the same time, but don't want to be married to it 100% of the time (when traveling, etc.)  If you could persuade me between these two IEM's with your poll vote, I'd greatly appreciate it.  The best case scenario would have those votes coming from someone who's listened to both. 

Thanks in advance!

DW

Hi, Both of these headphones are considered good at their price. It is although a little difficult to give you a suggestion based on your information. You say that you listen to almost any genre, but what kind of sound signature do you prefer? Do you like lots of bass or treble. Warm or cold/analytical? Based on the information that you listen to most any genre the best choice is usually a neutral IEM otherwise it will only sound ok with certain genres.

You further limit the choice by using a E-11 amp. That is very slightly tilted to the warm side. RE-262 is considered to be tilted to the warm side so warm iem + warm amp = very warm sound (usually not a good match). Even BA200 is considered warm by some. So the least warm sounding should be the better choice.

Consider this also. RE-262 has an impedance of 150 Ohm so it more or less needs an amp to sound its best. BA200 has only an impedance of 35 Ohm so it should be more efficient with portable devices (of course it depends on what portable device you will be using).

I haven't heard either of them (I have the RE-272 myself) but from reading impressions both should be good. The best choice seems to be BA200 because of the impedance for your use (but if you plan to use the amp more then the choice is not that clear. It then depends more on what kind of sound signature you prefer - also take in mind that you are choosing either a dynamic iem or a balanced armature one. Both have their advantages and disadvantages)

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 17
Mitchm:  Thanks for your reply.  I just got done reading the article you mentioned, but his is really the only one I've come across where the review wasn't reasonably glowing.  I think how one favors "sound" is so subjective that you're bound to have mixed results in a crowd. 

I'm certainly still feeling my way around this one.

Deni5:  Thank you very much for your reply, as well.  You bring up some great points and include some good food for thought when it comes to the pairing of the two.

With regard to what type of sound signature I'm looking for, I'd have to say somewhere reasonably neutral - but with an IEM that can bring out the best of the recording.  For example:  I'm replacing a set of Etymotic ER6i's that simply stopped working.  I was always fairly pleased with them, though they seemed to lean a bit on the treble side.  The detail was fantastic, and I'm sure that's what I enjoyed the most.  If I were able to get a new set that had the same amount of detail/separation, yet with a slightly warmer presentation...I'd be a happy guy.

Let me ask you this if I may:  If I were to select the BA200, do you have any recommendations on what type of amp would best compliment them?

Thanks again.  I appreciate the discussion from both of you.

DW

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 17
I have not listened to re262 yet. I read the review from sound and vision, the only time they talked about the sound of ba200 is towards the end of the first page. S&V makes it sound like everything is wrong with ba200, bass is feeble and undefined, mid response is uneven, treble is sibilant.

I own/have owned se425, tf10, srh840, ath-m50, fa003, ba200, and couple of sub $50 phones. I have not experienced any sibilance at all and I have owned it for 3-4 months now. I listen to Derek Trucks and he plays slide guitar. If any earphone is sibilant, it will come out when I listen to Derek Trucks, and I've never thought that the ba200 is sibilant. I dislike the ath-m50 at times, for example, because I am fairly treble-sensitive. If you've noticed pretty much all the headphones I've decided the keep are neutral. I would just ignore the review from S&V, they might have gotten a bad pair. BA-200 is the pair I listen to the most right now. I think you'd like it based on what you've said about your preference so far.

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 17
Zenesis:  Thanks very much for your assessment of S&V's review.  I somewhat left that one with the same feeling and took it with a grain of salt.  Their review wasn't nearly as in-depth as others I've read, yet it received the most negative commentary when it came to the BA200's.  I kind of chalked that one up to the author having a specific sound signature that they didn't meet, or they simply received a set that was "off".

Thanks again.  I think we're on the same page with that one.

DW

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
Let me ask you this if I may:  If I were to select the BA200, do you have any recommendations on what type of amp would best compliment them?

I don't have a good experience with portable amps - I haven't tried many. I have the E11 and it pairs OK with many of my headphones. I also like the bass boost function. My favorite amp is the O2 amp though. What I like about it is that is transparent - it doesn't color the sound. Some call it a wire with a gain. Some find this boring, but I find this excellent as you are listening to the iem/headphone the way it was intended to sound imo. Then again it is much bigger than the Fiio E11 (that's the one you are referring to, right?) so it isn't that suitable as a portable device. Also O2 is more expensive. I believe it is kind of difficult do find something as good as E11 in the pricerange that it is. It depends little on how much money you are willing to spend.

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #9 of 17
Deni5:  It's true that I was considering the E-11, based on reviews that I've read about it.  It's also true that I'd like for it to be portable.  At least portable enough to attach to an iPod Classic.  The other one I had considered was the C&C BH.  The C5 by JDS looks great, but it hasn't been released yet.

Honestly, the price really doesn't matter that much as long as it's justified by the sound.

DW

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #10 of 17
Ok, so last night we had an HDMI cable go out on one of our TV's.  Knowing that I'd need to order a replacement today, that in itself pushed me to make a decision on an IEM so I could bundle them together in one Amazon shipment.  I decided to go with the BA200's not only the poll results, but with the reviews and suggestions I've received from forum members.  I'm looking forward to burning them in and enjoying what follows.

Thanks so much for your guidance on this one.  Now it's time to find a nice portable amp that will pair well with them...

DW

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #11 of 17
I too am torn between TDK BA200 and VSonic GR07 MK2. I have read marvelous reviews on them and each has their huge loyal followers.

It's a pity Joker did not review BA200 but I'm hoping it could score at least 9.1-9.2 in the sound department. Furthermore Joker has mentioned GR07 differs slightly from its MK2 variant hence I'd kill to know how he would have rated it.

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #14 of 17
I have not heard the RE262.. but I do own the TDK BA-200, they are extremely competent for the $130 or so from amazon, better then DBA-02/Brainwavz B2. I have always wanted to try the re262, but the fact that they are so source dependent has made me shy away from them every time. The TDK is even designed to be less source dependent (that's what the really large y splitter is for)

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #15 of 17
I don't think you're gonna need an amp with the BA200. See the bulky splitter? It has something like a built-in amp in it. I also used it with my E11 and paired it with my Sony E Series mp3 player. The differences were so subtle that I decided that the E11 was just a dead weight to be carried around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back