RE0s or IE7? RE0 has a new cable?
Jul 30, 2011 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Sushiglobster

Head-Fier
Okay, I've done hours of reading about the RE0 vs. the IE7....seems the RE0 gets a lot of praise and I must admit that the price point is excellent. I'd love to get some IE8s, but that just cannot be with the budget that I am on. The IE7 isn't a bad set of phones, but it is often referred to as being maybe more muddy vs. that of the RE0's clarity...? Correct me if I'm wrong here. The build quality of the IE7s look great compared to the RE0s...which brings me to my main concern:

The main problem I am concerned with the RE0s is the Microphonic issues. I see it comes with a clip, but to be honest, no thank you. I don't want to wear some lame clip. 

I visited Head-Direct.com and found the RE0 for 79.00 dollars and this picture: http://www.head-direct.com/upload/2009Jun28095518RE0-5.jpg

It looks like its a cloth wrap on the cable vs. the rubber(?) surround that most headphones use. Is this cloth-like cable wrap new for the RE0? Does it help fix the microphonic issues people mention with the RE0?

I desperately need some new in-ears and my Shure in-ear's (no idea which model, but they sold for 250 dollars about 7 years ago) cables are pretty much destroyed. It's time for some new phones. 

I've read that you can wear the RE0s with the cable over the ear so, down towards your earlobe and then up, wrapped around the top of your ear and back down. This is how I wore my Shure headphones because that's how they were designed and I'm comfortable with it. I prefer the cable works in this way, another reason the IE7's are kind of appealing to me.

On another note, I plan on using the RE0s (or eve the IE7 if I decide differently) at the gym (this is why I'm concerned about the microphonic stuff), the occasional run around my neighborhood, and while drumming and recording as I am a musician. I like the idea of how accurate the RE0s are said to be because I can use them to crosscheck an audio mix with my main studio monitors. 

What do you guys think? What about that seemingly annoying microphonic problem the RE0s have?

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #2 of 2
erm the 0 and 7 are very very different.  the 0 is bright, clean crisp and the 7 is a big full rich sound.  i get your saying microphonics is your concern (neither should be a big prob if you wear them up) but im not sure how you have come to narrow it down to those two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back