re0lectrocuted?
Aug 5, 2010 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

calaf

1000+ Head-Fier
 I've just bought a pair of RE0s for traveling. Today I tried to connect the RE0s to my laptop, and to my surprise I started hearing (and, with the small tips, feeling!) electrical sparks in my left ear canal. They would stop as soon as I moved the tip inside the ear, and occasionally start again when I move my head around. Mostly an annoyance, but the fact that I only feel the sparks from the L speaker (I tried to switch ears, and the sparks always come from the L speaker), make me fear that the L speaker is defective. Has anybody else had the same issue? What did you do about it?

Aug 5, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 8
It's just the sparkly treble, don't worry.

Actually, no, worry. They're faulty and potentially dangerous. Send them back before your brain goes on fire.

Aug 5, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 8
well my brain is safe, FWIW: the L speaker is now dead and my RE0 are going back.
Let's hope the next pair works, because I was starting to like how they sound...

Aug 5, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 8
With such a low wattage power output, the shocks should be just a gentle tingling sensation, right? No harm should ever come from that. My RE0 is 2 months old and still going strong, and sounding awfully good.

Aug 5, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 8
Mine's over a year old, still strong as well.

Aug 5, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 8
8 months and still going strong here too

Aug 6, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #7 of 8
I gotta say, I had an instant buildup of static electricity on the metal earpiece as soon it was connected to my laptop, interesting this static stopped if I run it on battery.. got a replacement from head-direct.

My "new" pair has a worn out L plug and burned RE0 logo, at least no more electric shock.

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 8
I had a similar problem, i wrote about it here

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/507034/faulty-re0-replacement

my replaced pair is not new either, and also has other issues, but at least not zapping me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back