re0lectrocuted?
Aug 5, 2010 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

calaf

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 7, 2004
Posts
1,261
Likes
57
Location
Latitude 38
 I've just bought a pair of RE0s for traveling. Today I tried to connect the RE0s to my laptop, and to my surprise I started hearing (and, with the small tips, feeling!) electrical sparks in my left ear canal. They would stop as soon as I moved the tip inside the ear, and occasionally start again when I move my head around. Mostly an annoyance, but the fact that I only feel the sparks from the L speaker (I tried to switch ears, and the sparks always come from the L speaker), make me fear that the L speaker is defective. Has anybody else had the same issue? What did you do about it?
 
Aug 5, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 8

Bennyboy71


Aka: Ben Clayton
Aka: Cold Pizza
Aka: Bennyboy71
Aka: Visions66
Aka: TheloniSphere
Aka: Muzeick
Aka: Frankleemydear
Aka: Canofcant
And many more
Joined
Feb 16, 2010
Posts
1,299
Likes
37
It's just the sparkly treble, don't worry.
 
Actually, no, worry. They're faulty and potentially dangerous. Send them back before your brain goes on fire.
 
Aug 5, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 8

calaf

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 7, 2004
Posts
1,261
Likes
57
Location
Latitude 38
well my brain is safe, FWIW: the L speaker is now dead and my RE0 are going back.
Let's hope the next pair works, because I was starting to like how they sound...
 
Aug 5, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 8

zero7525

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 11, 2010
Posts
442
Likes
16
With such a low wattage power output, the shocks should be just a gentle tingling sensation, right? No harm should ever come from that. My RE0 is 2 months old and still going strong, and sounding awfully good.
 
Aug 5, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 8

Mad Max

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 12, 2009
Posts
7,509
Likes
316
Location
USA
Mine's over a year old, still strong as well.
 
Aug 5, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 8

paulypaul

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 23, 2009
Posts
585
Likes
15
8 months and still going strong here too
 
Aug 6, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #7 of 8

punkfloyd

Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 11, 2010
Posts
52
Likes
10
I gotta say, I had an instant buildup of static electricity on the metal earpiece as soon it was connected to my laptop, interesting this static stopped if I run it on battery.. got a replacement from head-direct.
 
My "new" pair has a worn out L plug and burned RE0 logo, at least no more electric shock.
 
Aug 16, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 8

chriz001

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 13, 2010
Posts
4
Likes
0
I had a similar problem, i wrote about it here
 
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/507034/faulty-re0-replacement
 
my replaced pair is not new either, and also has other issues, but at least not zapping me.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top