Re0 or Panasonic HJE900
Aug 31, 2010 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

flentge

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm looking at these two iem's for my first iem purchase. I listen to bluesy rock, classic rock. A lot of the music I have is live audience recororded that has not really been e-qed right. Sometimes the lower frequencies in voices will mix with other lower frequencies and sound real muddy in cheap speakers and headphones. I have a pair of GradoSR 60i that handle this right, and before I purchace an iem i want to make sure they will handle it right. Will they keep things seperated enough to keep things from sounding muddy like the Grado's do, or do they not have enough in the lower range to make things sound good?

Thanks
Josh

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 5
Given the price bracket, I'd lean you more towards the RE-ZERO instead of the RE0.  Personal opinion, but I feel the RE-ZERO is a rather significant improvement over the RE0 in many ways and worth the price step.  The dynamic range is significantly improved, the sound stage is significantly improved, and  you don't need a powerful amp to drive them.

Versus the RE0, I can see how the HJE900 wouldn't decimate them.  I haven't yet used the HJE900 personally though, so I can only relate to reviews/user comments on the earphone.

I will also point you to Klipsch's Custom 3 as another option.  While the RE-ZERO is lean and clean, the Custom 3 is a little more hearty and energetic and offers a better sound stage to boot.  Both are great products at the $100 price point, and both are very likable.  What about the HJE900?  I don't know.  I just haven't used a pair yet to comment on how they relate.  From readings, they certainly are sitting at the same level though.  I also know the oem version of the Radius DDM earphones are around the same price point of the HJE900 too and yet another great sounding earphone.

Just keep reading reviews and user comments and get a feel for how each may fit relative to your tastes.  From a raw SQ standpoint, you probably can't go wrong with any of them.  It's simply a matter of which one best fitting your personal preferences.

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
Given the price bracket, I'd lean you more towards the RE-ZERO instead of the RE0.  Personal opinion, but I feel the RE-ZERO is a rather significant improvement over the RE0 in many ways and worth the price step.  The dynamic range is significantly improved, the sound stage is significantly improved, and  you don't need a powerful amp to drive them.

x2
I just sold my RE0s, because the ZEROs were more pleasing to my ears and i really didn't need 2 REs.
The soundstage is better, mids are a little more forward (giving it a bit more detail in this area and also bringing the vocals out more) and the highs are crisp.
The RE0s are a bit more aggressive in the highs and extend a liitle further.
In buying new IEMs I am now favouring smooth mids (Rains, PL50s and the ZEROs)
This is just my preference between the two.
The RE0s are still outstanding value for the money, just a bit different to the ZEROS.
Bottom end of both these IEMs are very detailed and are well separated from the mids.

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 5
IMO the ZEROs are a level above the Rains and having more mid bass quantity the upper bass of the Rains are more mixed in with the mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back