RE0 faulty again, looking for replacement
Feb 2, 2011 at 10:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

cooperg

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I've had some Head-Direct RE0 just under a year, and loved the sound, but sent them back to China twice for the same issue which has now happened again.  It apears to be a fault in the cable near the jack which means the sound in one ear cuts out intermittently.  Moving the cable around would fix the issue temporarily.  After sending them back for a warranty replacement, I'd recieve what appeared to be a used pair in the old box.  It certainly wasn't a new pair in a new box.  I'm not sure if they replaced my old ones and just send the earphones in the old box, if they repaired them, or send me a refurbished pair.  They seemed to have a few too many scratches on them to be new pair.  Each replacement pair had the same issue as the one I'd send back.  I contacted them again recently and was told that as they'd sent me two replacements already, I was out of warranty.  This was a little dissapointing as I'm not convinced I'd actually receieved a replacement and the two replacements rule wasn't mentioned previously.

Although they sounded great for the price, when I add in the cost of the tracked shipping to China for replacment and the time I was without them, I ended up paying about $120 for 10 months usage.  So, I'm looking for something similar, but hopefully with a better build quality and warranty.  I've previously used Shure EC-2 which I liked, and CrossRoads X3 which were good while they lasted.  I'm currently using Klispch Custom-1 which sound good for some things, but don't seem to fit my ears very well.  I really liked the fact that RE0 are easy to fit, compared to the Shures or the Klipsch which have to be worn over the ear.

My budget would be in the $50-$100 range (including shipping / customs to the UK).  The Sunrise Xcape sound like what I'm looking for.  Any other suggestions?

Feb 17, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #2 of 3
An update for anyone else with a simlar problem.  I reterminated by RE0s with a Neutrick plug and they are working fine again.  It was pretty straightforward - cut the cable above the problem area (close to the old plug in my case), remove a about an inch of shielding, burn off some of the coloured paint protecting the 4 individual wires and connect them to the new plug.

Feb 17, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #3 of 3
Never had a problem with my RE0, but that was the older version several months ago.  Anyway, the SW-Xcape is very similar to the RE0, a bit warmer and bass body (just a bit) and not quite as much of the RE0 exquisite treble extension, but still satisfyingly clean and clear.  I can't speak to the long-term durability of the SW-Xcape -- I only had them 2 months and no problems.  Don't know if anyone has had theirs longer than 6 months since they are a fairly new model.

BTW, are you being gentle with your IEM and cables, or do you wrap them around your player/phone and stuff them in your pocket?  That will kill good cables very quickly, if you are doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back