Re-Tapping A Hammond 1455 Case
Jan 27, 2010 at 2:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rds

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm considering tapping a hammond 1455 case for 6-32 screws. However, the case currently has the self-tapping screws installed. Has anyone tried tapping for 6-32 after installing the self-tapping screws? Thanks.

Jan 27, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm considering tapping a hammond 1455 case for 6-32 screws. However, the case currently has the self-tapping screws installed. Has anyone tried tapping for 6-32 after installing the self-tapping screws? Thanks.

Shouldn't be hard at all, since the included screws are already #6-32.

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 5
That's one reason those screws are 3/4" long, Ryan (not the ones that Hammond supplies). They go far enough to pass any threads that the Hammond self-tappers have chewed up. Actually, though - Hammond uses something called "Taptite" screws that roll the threads instead of cutting them, so there's probably not any chewing going on anyway.
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Tomb - yeah, I was using them a few weeks ago on a gamma 2 and had to grind them down a little (my tap didn't quite go far enough) and I was actually wondering 'why 3/4"?'
Makes sense now, and conveniently my tap is just long enough for the 3/4"s with Hammonds (due to the faceplate plus bezel).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back