Re-cabling faq?
Jun 26, 2008 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

uglijimus

100+ Head-Fier
I used to think that the idea of a cable affecting the sound was simply ridiculous, but after hearing the opinions of some people here I trust, (Headphone addict, pataburd, etc) I figured I had to look into this. I searched but couldn't find anything more than tidbits here and there. I want to know everything I can about re-cabling: results (good or bad) how to do it yourself, what are the best cords, how to get it done by a professional, etc. anything and everything.

thanks!

Jun 26, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by uglijimus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to think that the idea of a cable affecting the sound was simply ridiculous, but after hearing the opinions of some people here I trust, (Headphone addict, pataburd, etc) I figured I had to look into this. I searched but couldn't find anything more than tidbits here and there. I want to know everything I can about re-cabling: results (good or bad) how to do it yourself, what are the best cords, how to get it done by a professional, etc. anything and everything.

thanks!

See this area of the forum for reviews and views on professional work.

You can also visit this area of the forum for how to do it yourself.

Jun 29, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 6
Honest advice: Don't bother unless you hate the construction of your current cable, or have completely acquired a satisfactory setup (i.e., with proper source and amplification). I hate trolling, and don't mean to turn this thread into a full on debate; but few on this forum (even cable believers) will argue that sound quality most improves from upgrades in sources and amplification rather than in cabling. Just a thought before you spend a decent amount of money.

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by uglijimus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thanks!

The whole field of which cable is best, and where or how to do it is HUGE, and as diverse as which headphone. You could spend months studying the issue. I didn't believe in the degree of change a cable can give until I heard it myself with headphones, but I place a limit at how much I will spend on a cable. I haven't heard much of a difference in speaker cables or power cables - I'm still a lamp cord kinda guy.

In addition to the other suggestions; to see what changes you can hear search for posts by Skylab, mrarroyo and Jamato8 in their experience re-cabling HFI-780. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hfi...und-s2-320563/ and several posts in here to search for http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/so-...-780-a-289917/

Here is my evaluation of the HD600/650 stock vs APureSound: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/re...cables-301979/ And, you can PM namaanf about what he thought when he listened to those same HD600 stock vs APS V3 cable during a mini-meet. I have also listened to Silver Dragon and Jenna Labs and thought they were just as exceptional as APS. Vampire wire and Black Dragon gave me improvements, but did not end up being my favorites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back