RCA-to-mini adapters
Jul 7, 2005 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Covenant

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 2, 2005
Posts
2,773
Likes
61
Do proper, audiophile rca-to-mini adapters exist, or are the el cheapo $10 jobs all that can be found?

Reason for asking - i've got a set of BMC Pinnacles i really want to try out, but want to invest in a MicroDAC, which only has 1/8 output. Would i be degrading the sound quality by using an inferior adapter? And if so, where would better adapters be found?
 
Jul 7, 2005 at 1:33 PM Post #3 of 14

Covenant

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 2, 2005
Posts
2,773
Likes
61
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
Unfortunately none exist… however the elcheapo ones are not too bad... any degradation to the signal will be minimal traveling the short distance.


So would it be a better idea to use my BMC's with a cheapo adapter than buy, for instance, a Moon Audio mini-to-rca silver dragon? The BMC's are worth about $400 retail, the silver dragon about $70, i'm wondering if there'll be any noticable difference between the former adapted and the latter straight.
 
Jul 7, 2005 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 14

grandenigma1

Member of the Trade:Enigma Audio
Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Posts
3,742
Likes
23
If there would be any difference at all I would say the $65 you would save would more then make up for it. If I were in your boat I would just pick up an adaptor and if you are not happy with the sound then you are only out $5 and not $70.
 
Jul 7, 2005 at 1:41 PM Post #6 of 14

Covenant

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 2, 2005
Posts
2,773
Likes
61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
I really liked the Mini » RCA adapters from Kimber. HeadRoom sells them, as well as other nice adapters.


Are you referring to this:
http://www.headphone.com/products/ad...ca-adapter.php
?

If you've tried this with decently high-level audio equipment, and found no noticable degradation, that'll be that problem solved for me. I'll be able to just order one at the same time as my MicroDAC.
 
Jul 7, 2005 at 1:47 PM Post #8 of 14

Thaddy

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 26, 2004
Posts
5,004
Likes
188
Location
Texas
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant
Are you referring to this:
http://www.headphone.com/products/ad...ca-adapter.php
?

If you've tried this with decently high-level audio equipment, and found no noticable degradation, that'll be that problem solved for me. I'll be able to just order one at the same time as my MicroDAC.



No, sorry, I was actually talking about this. Also, here is a nice one from Straightwire.

I've never used the adapter you're talking about though, only the one from Kimber.

edit: I'd imagine the one you linked to would be fine though...
 
Jul 7, 2005 at 1:50 PM Post #9 of 14

Covenant

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 2, 2005
Posts
2,773
Likes
61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
No, sorry, I was actually talking about this. Also, here is a nice one from Straightwire.

I've never used the adapter you're talking about though, only the one from Kimber.

edit: I'd imagine the one you linked to would be fine though...



Oh okie, i was kind of hoping to avoid further cable investments for the time being - buying a $60 cable while a $400 one lies unused seems morally wrong to me
tongue.gif


I just hope it won't damage the signal too much. I'd feel like a right fool if i realised the value of my cable had just become utterly meaningless since the cruddy adapter was screwing with the sound.
rolleyes.gif
 
Jul 9, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #10 of 14

sbulack

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 12, 2003
Posts
2,177
Likes
16
I'm using the AudioQuest mini-to-RCA adapter to allow me to use a Grover UR IC with my AOS Picollo DAC. The AudioQuest adapter sells for about $12 + shipping at HCM Audio and The Needle Doctor, and sounds considerably better than the $6 Radio Shack adapter. I'm REALLY happy with the sound I'm getting from my rig using the AudioQuest adapter.
 
Jul 9, 2005 at 9:38 AM Post #11 of 14

Covenant

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 2, 2005
Posts
2,773
Likes
61
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack
I'm using the AudioQuest mini-to-RCA adapter to allow me to use a Grover UR IC with my AOS Picollo DAC. The AudioQuest adapter sells for about $12 + shipping at HCM Audio and The Needle Doctor, and sounds considerably better than the $6 Radio Shack adapter. I'm REALLY happy with the sound I'm getting from my rig using the AudioQuest adapter.


Sweet, thanks for that sbulack!
biggrin.gif
 
Jul 9, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #13 of 14

mbratrud

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 7, 2003
Posts
396
Likes
10
I really liked the Panorama (Cable Pro) RCA to mini. I listened to a few mini to mini from straightwire and cardas and preferred the Panorama,

I have a set for sale now in the FS forum for cables if you want ot look but even if you want ot buy new ones I still recommend them.

Oh, all my other cables are over $2,000 a set.
 
Jul 10, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #14 of 14

Covenant

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 2, 2005
Posts
2,773
Likes
61
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbratrud
I really liked the Panorama (Cable Pro) RCA to mini. I listened to a few mini to mini from straightwire and cardas and preferred the Panorama,

I have a set for sale now in the FS forum for cables if you want ot look but even if you want ot buy new ones I still recommend them.



Everyone seems to mistake exactly what i'm talking about when i say "adapter". I mean one of these , NOT an adapter-cable!

The AudioQuest one previously mentioned is actually the only one i've seen yet that went as far as gold-plating the connectors.
rolleyes.gif
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top