RCA Soldering Help Needed!
Apr 18, 2006 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

roblo

Head-Fier
Hey,

I am around half way though a mini project to make an EMU 0404 breakout cable and I am well and truly stuck. I dragged myself down to Maplin (UK Radioshack) and got the bits I needed including 2 RCA plugs, but when I got them home i can't for the life of me work out how they solder onto the wire, they look nothing like the ones I have seen in the tutorials on here, so I leave it to the collective wisdom of Head Fi to work out what to do. Either that or I go out tommrrow and buy a couple more and check them first?

Anyway heres a large pic of the setup, the right 3 bits slot together then the left most bit screws it all together.

http://img459.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture9kr.jpg

Cheers

Rob

p.s heres the bumf from the Maplin website, it makes no sense to me

A range of metal barrelled, gold-plated phono line plugs with different cable entry diameters to match 5, 6 or 8mm diameter cables. The high quality construction includes a body containing a split collet with a ridged inner surface, to grip outer screen when folded back over outer sleeve. Inner conductor can be soldered to centre pin. Insulation material is Teflon. Available with black or red identification band.

Apr 18, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 4
Heres some bumf from the Maplin website about these little buggers

A range of metal barrelled, gold-plated phono line plugs with different cable entry diameters to match 5, 6 or 8mm diameter cables. The high quality construction includes a body containing a split collet with a ridged inner surface, to grip outer screen when folded back over outer sleeve. Inner conductor can be soldered to centre pin. Insulation material is Teflon. Available with black or red identification band.

Rob

Apr 18, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 4
Think tv aerial cable.
tongue.gif

The signal wire is trimmed to allow it to fit inside the hollow pin and some solder put in the visible hole to keep it in place, the ground is pared back and makes a friction fit using the outer casing and inner sleeve.

Steve

Apr 18, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #4 of 4
Cheers, this is one of the first times I have played with a soldering iorn and this thing stumped me, I may end up getting some other ones anyway, will try to do it tommrrow.

Thanks again

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back