RCA interconnects for Stax Omega rig ?
Dec 19, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the price of Poiem worth the upgrade ?

I went from a Silver Resolution Balanced ($150) to a Poiema!!! Signature ($980), and it was all night and day. Well worth the update for me.
But I can't talk for other than myself...

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$560 for rca; $670 for xlr per meter. not pocket change.

Not pocket money.
But certainly fair priced, compared to other vendors, when you consider that its hand built with excellent quality parts.

Dec 19, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DIY Fine Silver Interconnects

Great minds and all that...
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The VH Audio cotton /silver wire is quite good and so is Chris's IC recipe that is on the same site. It's the basic concept of properly damping the wires while using a good wire.

Quote:

DIY Fine Silver Interconnects

VH DIY looks very promising.

I've also ordered some of THESE.

I want to learn a bit more about the signature of cu vs ag. If these cheap cables do not make any improvement, I'll order some VH cables and make some good use of my soldering gun.
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #21 of 33
I recently auditioned and bought Linn Silver interconnectors. It beat similarily priced quality silver interconnectors and Cardas Golden Cross. Very nice cable for the money (~250€/0.6m). I recommend giving them a try if you can audition them.

Dec 24, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

THESE are keepers.
wink.gif

Really?! If you haven't bought them yet, I have a spare pair.
smily_headphones1.gif
These are digital cables and don't sound that great as analog interconnects. Empty bass, colorless midrange, rolled off trebles but huge (unreal) sonic sources. I'm sure you'll get better copper cables in this price range. My almost 10 years old IXOS 104 ashames whatever I have tried till at leaast $100 price range. So, I trust IXOS and maybe buy something better from them?

Dec 24, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are digital cables and don't sound that great as analog interconnects.

I've read that coax cables are the same. You can use them for either digital or analog. Digital application might require more stringent shielding.

Silver sound is not for everyone. Silver signature is thin and cold. For some systems, silver can make them worse. It's the reason why I was hesitate to try silver, afraid that I might loose my investment.

These cables work for me, and I replaced all of my copper ICs.
biggrin.gif

Please remember that I don't have much exposure in cable. These are better than my copper IC's, and who knows, my IC's might be like crap compare to other copper ICs.
wink.gif

Dec 24, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Silver sound is not for everyone. Silver signature is thin and cold. For some systems, silver can make them worse. It's the reason why I was hesitate to try silver, afraid that I might loose my investment.

I think in time you will find that this statement isn't really true at all. A properly designed and built silver cable is NOT thin and cold sounding. Give it some time and perhaps still think about DIYing some of the VH cables for your O2s.They NEED the right interconnects.The wrong ones can IMO, literally make or break an O2 setup.

Dec 24, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #27 of 33
Good (expensive) silver is warmer then copper will ever be while at the same time providing much more detail and musical involvement. Silver will not help a bad component hide it's tracks but those silver stereotypes are either caused by the cheap crap wire and/or people using great cables with bad components and blaming the sub par sound on the IC's.

Dec 24, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

I think in time you will find that this statement isn't really true at all. A properly designed and built silver cable is NOT thin and cold sounding. Give it some time and perhaps still think about DIYing some of the VH cables for your O2s.They NEED the right interconnects.The wrong ones can IMO, literally make or break an O2 setup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good (expensive) silver is warmer then copper will ever be while at the same time providing much more detail and musical involvement. Silver will not help a bad component hide it's tracks but those silver stereotypes are either caused by the cheap crap wire and/or people using great cables with bad components and blaming the sub par sound on the IC's.

I agree on the merit of silver ICs. I'm learning to walk before I can rush out for a few pairs of serious silver ICs.

So far, my O2 rig is moving in the right direction in term of SQ improvement. The cheap silver ICs do help in general. I need to give them more time to settle down with my NOS GE 5751 tubes on the GES.

Dec 24, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Yes, I agree that no silver cable is the same. I agree on how the design can influence the sound signature. I've learned how different silver headphone cables influenced the sound signature of the phones. For instance, the Zu Mobius is very desirable on the Senn HD650. However, I found it too thin and bright when I have it with the HD600. I'd guess that this might be the same case for ICs.

Dec 25, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #30 of 33
I'm particularly fond of my Zu Gede interconnects, which are a silver/copper alloy. I'm thinking of trying out some pure silver cables at some stage in the future though - the Gede are RCA so I'd probably try out some balanced silver cables, possibly something like Kimber KCAG (which I used to own a long time ago and have high praises for them).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back