RCA Attenuators - Any Thoughts?
Nov 24, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #2 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My dac is way too hot for my amp and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these things? I know I will get to use more of my amp but will it have any affect on sound quality?

Attenuators

A friend uses these out of his CD player to DAC. I am not able to hear any degradation.

Nov 24, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 27
I've tried several, all of them absolutely destroyed the high end. Massive roll off. Also distinct muddying in the mids.

Nov 24, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried several, all of them absolutely destroyed the high end. Massive roll off. Also distinct muddying in the mids.

What brand Duggeh?

Nov 24, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

My dac is way too hot for my amp and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these things? I know I will get to use more of my amp but will it have any affect on sound quality?

Attenuators

I have a pair of the Rothwells lying dormat in a drawer. I dont like them. You definitely hear degradation if you have a revealing system.

Nov 24, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

What brand Duggeh?

DIY, couple of ebay stores and the Rothwells. All had the same detrimental effects in varying degrees and that varience was small. The expensive rothwells were just as irritating as a resistor on a length of wire. It was a solution which I really wanted to work at the time. I would try attenuating at the output of the amp if thats possible, or you could try sticking a pre-amp into the chain. What's the transport for your DAC, is there no way to do any attenuation in the digital domain?

Nov 25, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #8 of 27
Everyone says...

Why don't you do it. And if you think you're suddenly missing out, stop. My bet is that you wont notice if what you're bemoaning is a difficulty in being able to listen at low levels.

Nov 25, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #12 of 27
What DAC? Got schematics?

The attached schematic shows a standard opamp I/V. The 1.5K resistor in this case is the I/V resistor and controls the gain; this stage was for a TDA1541a DAC chip. YMMV.

EDIT: added std. opamp stage schematic

Nov 25, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #13 of 27
If you are looking for attenuators go for Goldenjacks. Much nicer then the Rothwells, less impact on the sound, and they sell for less. Plus you can get them in a variety of attenuations.

This is from someone who has used Rothwell, Goldenjacks, and Harrison Labs in his various systems.

Nov 26, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What DAC? Got schematics?

The attached schematic shows a standard opamp I/V. The 1.5K resistor in this case is the I/V resistor and controls the gain; this stage was for a TDA1541a DAC chip. YMMV.

EDIT: added std. opamp stage schematic

Stello DA100 Signature feeding a Raptor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back