RBH - HP-2 ULTRALIGHT BERYLLIUM HEADPHONES
Jan 2, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #136 of 163
Does anyone know how the BT version from M&O sounds straight out of an iPhone 6s using BT? I know the AptX codec is not used in this phone.
I tested with wired and BT on my Oneplus 3T and the sound on BT is very very slightly compressed that you'd have to pick really busy tracks to really be able to tell any difference between the modes. It still sounds really good and the connectivity is solid.

Apr 8, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #138 of 163
I've rolled a number of headphones, trying out new stuff and selling off those that didn't survive the headphone grinder. These days, the HIFIMAN Sundara and the HD650 are my daily drivers. They are the survivors because they're that good. Oh, also the HP-2, the first headphones I bought when purely considering "sound quality". I got these before anyone else had heard about them. They're my oldest pair of headphones. They're my longest survivor.

As it happens, they are also my wife's favorite, and so she uses them as her daily driver. Every now and then, I steal them away and take them for a swing, and every single time my brain explodes. Super smooth frequency response, superb staging for a closed can with proper amplification, good enough detail, and overall musical as screw. I can never properly expect how good these will sound before putting them on. Lastly, but certainly not least the most emotionally griping bass performance I've ever heard in a dynamic headphone. I remember the opening of Game of Thrones literally almost gave me a heart attack listening through these.

After that near-heart attack, I kept checking on RBH's website for when they'll have these back in stock so I could order another pair. After a couple of months of periodic checking, no dice. The RBH guys are great to talk to, so I dropped them a line, and apparently they're working on something new, putting their latest and greatest into it. As such progress has been slow and there's no update, but I for one cannot WAIT to hear what they come out with next.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #139 of 163
I've rolled a number of headphones, trying out new stuff and selling off those that didn't survive the headphone grinder. These days, the HIFIMAN Sundara and the HD650 are my daily drivers. They are the survivors because they're that good. Oh, also the HP-2, the first headphones I bought when purely considering "sound quality". I got these before anyone else had heard about them. They're my oldest pair of headphones. They're my longest survivor.

As it happens, they are also my wife's favorite, and so she uses them as her daily driver. Every now and then, I steal them away and take them for a swing, and every single time my brain explodes. Super smooth frequency response, superb staging for a closed can with proper amplification, good enough detail, and overall musical as screw. I can never properly expect how good these will sound before putting them on. Lastly, but certainly not least the most emotionally griping bass performance I've ever heard in a dynamic headphone. I remember the opening of Game of Thrones literally almost gave me a heart attack listening through these.

After that near-heart attack, I kept checking on RBH's website for when they'll have these back in stock so I could order another pair. After a couple of months of periodic checking, no dice. The RBH guys are great to talk to, so I dropped them a line, and apparently they're working on something new, putting their latest and greatest into it. As such progress has been slow and there's no update, but I for one cannot WAIT to hear what they come out with next.

I would love to know how you’d compare the original HP-2 to the M&O version!

Apr 8, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #140 of 163
I would love to know how you’d compare the original HP-2 to the M&O version!
I never heard the M&O version, so no comparisons will be coming from me.

Apr 8, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #141 of 163

I have two pairs of the RBH HP2 and I can't speak enough about them. They are intense!! Love them.
Tony

Apr 8, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #142 of 163
I heard about these cans way too late, I too keep an eye on their site to see if they'll ever come back. If @junki info is correct then hopefully they'll bring out a newer version of the RBH or something akin to it.

It's interesting to hear more headphones are employing the beryllium coated drivers nowadays.

@junki - Quick question: Stuck on a desert island, which pair of headphones from your stash would you be stranded with and why?

Apr 8, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #143 of 163
@junki - Quick question: Stuck on a desert island, which pair of headphones from your stash would you be stranded with and why?
Depends on what the rest of the signal chain looks like. If I could have my pick, the SDAC+MCTH+HD650.

Apr 8, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #144 of 163
Very cool, I'm hearing excellent things about that combo. I should have my MCTH by this week, will be fun times!

How does the HP2's sound out of a decent desktop setup?

Apr 29, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #145 of 163
Ahhh great information to have. I had the Audio Technica M50x and I hated their signature because it was so bright I couldn't stand them. For some reason I did hear to much bass at all, infact, to little bass. I had their limited edition cooper/blue color. I sold them on ebay.
well, i listened to m50x and was never bright to me, it sounded a little Darker by the way.

well i dont understand by bright when people call ath m50x bright.

or i think my ears are damaged.......

well, for those who wants sound-stage from m50x can take the foam inside the small vent behind the driver like the shure mod.

it will make treble linear instead of bumpy(i think that bumpy treble which makes you feel bright) and some 120hz boost to make bass ascension a little more linear. Soundstage will increase in width for some bass decay and some boosted bass.

well now add hm5 pads and these will behave more neutral balanced and extended instead of V shape

Apr 29, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #146 of 163
Lets hope they are working on an open-backed, pure beryllium, killer of a can for under 5 Benjamins

Glad they made a bargain hit,

time for the Giant Killer :D

A Pure beryllium would force chi-fi into doing the same... at near chi-fi prices

May 10, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #147 of 163
I picked up a pair of the M&Os, and for $129, they're pretty solid. The one thing in particular I noticed about the drivers, which has been stated by other users, is the ability to handle crazy levels when EQing. This also translates to top volume with no distortion, although I never listen to them that loud. Perfect if you are going to run this wired thru your smartphone with an EQ app or a good AMP/DAC. It should be noted they also sound nearly identical over BT vs. wired into smartphone.

Yes, the stock pads are pretty cheap, so I replaced them with pads from the Sony MDR-10RBT, which fit quite nicely and create a nice warm, punchy sound. Although it's almost all plastic construction (with the exception of portions of the slider & headband), the fabrication quality is good and it feels well made. Button intelligibility is also good. A little bit of Teflon lubricant will take care of stiff joints and creaking.

IMG_1642.jpg

Dec 7, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #148 of 163
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=34193

Realize this is an old thread but anyone try the monoprice pads they started selling, I am guessing since they started selling their own version of brainwavz hm-5 headphones they are simple a copy of the brainwavz hm-5 pads (pleather), they also make a velour version.

The sizing is a little different from brainwavz site but does not look too different.

I got the M&O set from the new massdrop that just popped up for $99 plus free shipping USA and was thinking about some new pads but will actually try them first before I purchase new pads.

Dec 10, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #149 of 163
Well as an update Monoprice has a 20% almost everything coupon and they are free shipping now so I ordered a set and will report if they fit the M&O set once the set gets here from Massdrop.

Dec 10, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #150 of 163
Well as an update Monoprice has a 20% almost everything coupon and they are free shipping now so I ordered a set and will report if they fit the M&O set once the set gets here from Massdrop.

Exclusive coupon, perhaps? I don't see anything when I log in. :upside_down:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back