RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
May 26, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #3,526 of 3,671
I have tried the Sony but it's been too long and not off the TA
I've only recently discovered that combo (and also the Z1R off the Taz). Talk about being late to the party, I got here when they were putting away the dishes and vacuuming the carpets. 🙈

May 26, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #3,527 of 3,671
I've only recently discovered that combo (and also the Z1R off the Taz). Talk about being late to the party, I got here when they were putting away the dishes and vacuuming the carpets. 🙈
The Sony's are classics. I am not really looking to get back into headphones at the moment, especially with summer coming up where I am even more all over the place than I am usually haha, but I enjoy stalking new releases.

Currently need to review the Anima and N8II, but it's been a bit hard finding the time to do it

Edit: thought it's worth sharing - I spoke to Lime Ears about the things I didn't enjoy about the Anima in terms of tuning, and they've been super open and interested in talking about it.

Most other companies I've come across have immediately ended up justifying all their decisions and forcing the discussion into this awkward "yeah I get what you're trying to do but I don't like it." My feedback might be completely irrelevant to all their future projects, but a company that is this open to listening to what people think about their products is bound to be immensely successful in the future Imo

Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #3,529 of 3,671
Have you heard MDR-Z1R out of the C9?
Yes. It's good, but not quite Taz level. I was actually debating between C9 and Taz, and decided on Taz once I auditioned the C9. Glad I did, even though C9 would have given me far more portability.

May 26, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #3,530 of 3,671
The Sony's are classics. I am not really looking to get back into headphones at the moment, especially with summer coming up where I am even more all over the place than I am usually haha, but I enjoy stalking new releases.

Currently need to review the Anima and N8II, but it's been a bit hard finding the time to do it

Edit: thought it's worth sharing - I spoke to Lime Ears about the things I didn't enjoy about the Anima in terms of tuning, and they've been super open and interested in talking about it.

Most other companies I've come across have immediately ended up justifying all their decisions and forcing the discussion into this awkward "yeah I get what you're trying to do but I don't like it." My feedback might be completely irrelevant to all their future projects, but a company that is this open to listening to what people think about their products is bound to be immensely successful in the future Imo
Hey matey, I'd be interested to hear how the N8ii compares with the OG LPGT? (love me some acronyms lol).
LPGT has probably been my benchmark for sound quality in a DAP thus far (although there's plenty of great DAPs I still haven't heard, so don't take that as a comment on other DAPs!) :)

May 26, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #3,531 of 3,671
Hey matey, I'd be interested to hear how the N8ii compares with the OG LPGT? (love me some acronyms lol).
LPGT has probably been my benchmark for sound quality in a DAP thus far (although there's plenty of great DAPs I still haven't heard, so don't take that as a comment on other DAPs!) :)
OG LPGT to me is still the most versatile DAP I have ever come across. I 100% trust that if I don't like how something sounds on it, it is simply because I don't enjoy what the manufacturer did with the IEM. For other degenerates that keep trying and changing gear all the time, but wouldn't like to own more than a single DAP at a time, I don't think there's anything I can recommend over it.

I also much prefer LPGT UI to the N8II's Android. It's much smaller too, and more comfortable to use. You can also swap volume wheel direction. That last one is still my single greatest source of hate for the N8II lol

On the other hand, N8II in the correct pairings is unmatched to me. The slightly bright presentation coupled with the oozing texture just works too well for my preferences, where I don't need to sacrifice any of the over-the-top technical ability that I enjoy. It does seem to take many IEMs too far though, when I tried the Erl on it again I couldn't really recognize it - at the HE Munich I found myself swapping to the LPGT too often to be sure if the IEMs I'm trying are naturally bright, or it's just the N8II doing its thing.

All that being said, I use the Kr5 like 70% of the time, Xe6 20% of the time and everything else takes that last 10%, and the N8II works insanely well with both the 5 and the 6 so it ends up taking most of my listening time. LPGT is more of a "reviewer" DAP for me at the moment

Jun 6, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #3,532 of 3,671
A bit of cheese but… I met someone and well, she takes photos

Was only sent the first photo from the shoot as a tease, will be posting the rest soon :)

02A57DF8-B918-42C7-9872-2F6D4BC16896.jpeg

Jun 11, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #3,534 of 3,671
Jun 26, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #3,536 of 3,671
Their Frontier line-up is astonishingly good, IMO

Jun 26, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #3,537 of 3,671
Just passing by to praise FiR for being the reason I haven’t spent a single cent on IEMs in >4.5 months

Same happens to me but the culprit is my Craft Ears Aurum.........FiR new offerings almost tempted me to breach that but lucky for me interest cooled down considerably after trial. Not that they are no good, just that the 6 got this rather extreme fun sound profile that I don't need, and the 5 is a cool, more than decent do-it-all kind of iem that unfortunately (or fortunately) I have plenty of other options at my disposal already. They all look cool and feels nice.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #3,538 of 3,671
Their Frontier line-up is astonishingly good, IMO
It almost pisses me off at times, I look at new releases and almost get tempted to pull the trigger on something but the 5 and 6 have me so satisfied it seems entirely like an overkill

Same happens to me but the culprit is my Craft Ears Aurum.........FiR new offerings almost tempted me to breach that but lucky for me interest cooled down considerably after trial. Not that they are no good, just that the 6 got this rather extreme fun sound profile that I don't need, and the 5 is a cool, more than decent do-it-all kind of iem that unfortunately (or fortunately) I have plenty of other options at my disposal already. They all look cool and feels nice.
Yeah they definitely haven't had the same effect on everyone. I think that Precog didn't like the 4 and 5, but was decently positive about the 6 (though I haven't read those impressions for a while so I might be wrong). I think the ones that heard and liked them absolutely loved them, while some were a bit underwhelmed - didn't seem to be as much middle ground I guess

Jul 22, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #3,539 of 3,671
Just passing by to praise FiR for being the reason I haven’t spent a single cent on IEMs in >4.5 months
The XE6 and KR5 are both astonishingly good IEMs.

Jul 22, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #3,540 of 3,671
Not a big fan of the fiver, but the 6 is super dope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back