RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Jun 10, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #2,266 of 3,674
I'd actually be very curious to try it!

I've got the Softears RSV waiting for me at home, and it is one of the few 700$ IEMs I will have the chance to demo and review. I've heard pretty great things about it, so it might be cool to maybe get a sub-1000$ shootout with the most respectable models
Waiting on softears comparison with similar iems like thieaudio Monarch !! 🙏

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #2,267 of 3,674
The part of the ranking list that I do want to keep in one way or another however is the short description of the IEMs - I feel like that's a great resource for anyone getting into the hobby, they can get an idea of what a bunch of stuff is like in most general terms.

I might make a big chart as a post on this thread where I keep doing that, with no particular ranking or order

+1 I think the most helpful thing reviewer or someone with your experience can do with specific IEMs is provide lots of detailed descriptions of what you're hearing and how you're reacting to it-- I think this helps paint a more objective picture than simply placing it on a list that ultimately does little more than reflect the subjectivity of whoever is making the list.

I started this journey following Crin's rankings and that adherence to rankings stuck with me for a long time. I mean, who doesn't want to own or aspire to 'the best'.

But the longer you're in the hobby the more you realise how problematic this is, especially since rankings are basically only one data point from one person in a subjective hobby where no two people will rank IEMs the same way. But since 'friendly' competition is a major part of this hobby, rankings will always appeal, especially to newcomers who want to find the fastest way to 'the top'.

I've also abandoned scoring completely, and taken scores off my blog reviews. Ultimately they're more detrimental than useful.

+1 to all this. Like many others Crin's list was one of the first thing I encountered upon entering this hobby and I spent about a year taking it as gospel before coming to grips with the fact that the two of us have entirely different tastes and I much preferred my b-tier IEMs to those on his S tier. YMMV and all that.

I think people like lists because it's an easy way out-- it's a one stop answer to a given question that saves the person doing the research from having to do the laborious work of reading various impressions and coming to their own conclusion around whether it's for them or not. Detailed anectodal descriptions are much more helpful, but also more work imho.

The problem is I didn't even give the IEMs below A ranking a second look. So you tend to miss out on some great IEMs simply because someone doesn't rate them for whatever reason.

Same...actually I still find a subconscious bias against certain IEMs arising within me based on them having appeared on the lower tiers of some influential list or another. Every IEM I really love, no matter how well regarded generally, has been summarily trashed by someone or another at some point in time.

Great topic and great discussion.

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #2,268 of 3,674
+1 I think the most helpful thing reviewer or someone with your experience can do with specific IEMs is provide lots of detailed descriptions of what you're hearing and how you're reacting to it-- I think this helps paint a more objective picture than simply placing it on a list that ultimately does little more than reflect the subjectivity of whoever is making the list.

+1 to all this. Like many others Crin's list was one of the first thing I encountered upon entering this hobby and I spent about a year taking it as gospel before coming to grips with the fact that the two of us have entirely different tastes and I much preferred my b-tier IEMs to those on his S tier. YMMV and all that.

I think people like lists because it's an easy way out-- it's a one stop answer to a given question that saves the person doing the research from having to do the laborious work of reading various impressions and coming to their own conclusion around whether it's for them or not. Detailed anectodal descriptions are much more helpful, but also more work imho.

Same...actually I still find a subconscious bias against certain IEMs arising within me based on them having appeared on the lower tiers of some influential list or another. Every IEM I really love, no matter how well regarded generally, has been summarily trashed by someone or another at some point in time.

Haha I think there's a certain defiance in me... Whenever I see something in the C- tier my first thought it "you just aren't weird enough for it"

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #2,269 of 3,674
I'd actually be very curious to try it!

I've got the Softears RSV waiting for me at home, and it is one of the few 700$ IEMs I will have the chance to demo and review. I've heard pretty great things about it, so it might be cool to maybe get a sub-1000$ shootout with the most respectable models

To try Fantasy? Considering you sold Dita x Final SK within a minute after you got it, Fantasy is definitely not for you.

Jun 10, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #2,271 of 3,674

I think lists with grades are useful only in the context of what the reviewer who put those lists together likes or doesn’t like. Take Crin’s rankings for example. Without a knowledge of his preferred sound signature (which is well documented if you look hard enough), the list could be highly misleading if you don’t share his exact preferences. Adding that context allows you to judge what the rankings stand for within the context of your own preferences. I personally stand somewhere between his preferences and RAZ’s and both, amongst others, have been enormously helpful in guiding me on my own head-fi journey and, ultimately, helping me define my own preferences more precisely. That is what Head-Fi is for and why it is such an incredible resource for all of us sound junkies.

Jun 10, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #2,272 of 3,674
Jun 10, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #2,273 of 3,674
Fair points. As a reviewer I would sing the praises of Traillii (and probably FS too), but could not in good conscience recommend them to anyone but the most well heeled, experienced and money-no-object buyer. And I would make that very clear in the reviews. Also, the price wouldn't preclude me from saying other (less expensive) products are better. In fact, I see the $6000 'outliers' as a great opportunity for the established brands to release a new round of innovative IEMs that reach the same performance levels for less money. Only true competition is going to cut prices back down to size.

Great point, there is an opportunity for other manufacturers to build competitive IEMs, Cholla or unicorn tears aside, they aren't so technically innovative or unique that can't be matched. The first one or two that match their performance for $3K will have a field day as the “giant killer.”

Jun 14, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #2,274 of 3,674
A shoutout to @Softears for the RS10, genuinely incredible IEM - takes the spot next to the A12t for best reference IEMs you can get around the 2000$ mark

Which brings me to!

A reference IEM shootout - will cover what I consider to be different interpretations of that reference, borderline studio sound - will cover many variations, thoughts on how different brands fit into the whole reference picture and a most general guide for others that enjoy that drier, less musical, colder and analytical sound

Jun 14, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #2,275 of 3,674
A shoutout to @Softears for the RS10, genuinely incredible IEM - takes the spot next to the A12t for best reference IEMs you can get around the 2000$ mark

Which brings me to!

A reference IEM shootout - will cover what I consider to be different interpretations of that reference, borderline studio sound - will cover many variations, thoughts on how different brands fit into the whole reference picture and a most general guide for others that enjoy that drier, less musical, colder and analytical sound
Have you also heard the Softears Cerberus? Curious to get your thoughts if you have.

Jun 14, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #2,276 of 3,674
Have you also heard the Softears Cerberus? Curious to get your thoughts if you have.
I do have one here with me but I like the RS10 much better off initial listens

Jun 14, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #2,277 of 3,674
A1B62EF7-DEAE-4D53-BB01-F93316587A7C.jpeg

RS10 x the latest @doctorjuggles creation

Jun 14, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #2,278 of 3,674
The Thummim is an exceptional IEM, I still believe that very, very firmly. I have actually reaquired it since I traded it a few weeks back - should have it next week or the one after that latest :)
I was thinking of messaging you when I saw your sale thread, however someone snagged them promptly. I'm now waiting for the Thummim+Iliad :)

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #2,279 of 3,674
Jun 14, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #2,280 of 3,674
Oh come on what is this Plussound logo on the outside heresy. It was forbidden by town elders!
I haaaaaate the logo on the inside… it triggers me SO hard!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back