RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Jun 3, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #2,236 of 3,671
Oh for sure, I handle LX with kid gloves. These resin shells MUST NOT be dropped. Whereas the 64 Audio metal shells are far more resilient. Then again these are $2K+ IEMs so very careful handling and meticulous care goes without saying. None of these are throw-on-desk or in-bag or in-pocket IEMs!
Well, FiR audio shure did take a look and Andros and analyzed which surfaces get damaged first and added plastic there.
Living with a dog means everything I own has to be able to take a punch or two lol. I can't count the times he's been too excited to see me, jumped up, and yanked the Iliad attached to some poor IEM with that fat paw of his, smashing it into the ground... I am pretty familiar with the repair policies of most manufacturers :D
Well imagine my face when my dad returned my Andromedas sans the mesh pouch since he did not remember what the hell was it meant for.

Jun 3, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #2,237 of 3,671
Living with a dog means everything I own has to be able to take a punch or two lol. I can't count the times he's been too excited to see me, jumped up, and yanked the Iliad attached to some poor IEM with that fat paw of his, smashing it into the ground... I am pretty familiar with the repair policies of most manufacturers :D
The first (and only) time I ever ruined a pair of IEMs was because of one of my dogs. Whenever they come in the room now, I instantly go into mama bear mode and shield them from absolutely everything. :D

Jun 3, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #2,238 of 3,671
The first (and only) time I ever ruined a pair of IEMs was because of one of my dogs. Whenever they come in the room now, I instantly go into mama bear mode and shield them from absolutely everything. :D
Haha! Thankfully mine never took an interest in IEMs, but he'd chew through (read: eat) carpets, so we had to remove all of them when he was a puppy as he would have stomach problems all the time because of it. He also loved shoe laces of any kind :D

Jun 3, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #2,239 of 3,671
Ha ha ha, isn’t that what Tin HiFi is for?!

Jun 3, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #2,240 of 3,671
Just catching up on all of todays posts/this latest discussion and I have to say I love that everyone was able to share their thoughts freely and without judgment. I'm clicking the "Like" button like Oprah giving away cars! Seriously though, the mutual respect flowing on these last few pages is commendable.

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #2,241 of 3,671
The FuSang love affair continues!

A0B1E9B3-728D-4B2E-B10D-82DFF4C6B964.jpeg
8AD0E443-FB0A-4EFB-A815-9E6AB9A9D01A.jpeg

Jun 9, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #2,242 of 3,671
The FuSang love affair continues!

A0B1E9B3-728D-4B2E-B10D-82DFF4C6B964.jpeg8AD0E443-FB0A-4EFB-A815-9E6AB9A9D01A.jpeg
ULTRA curious where this will fall on your ranking :) Excited for the full review!!

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #2,244 of 3,671
Nice photos! Curious on the rankings too btw
Oh yeah about that - The FuSang is an easy Tier 1 IEM to my ears, but I think I will be abandoning ranking IEMs altogether. I just haven't bothered removing the links and whatnot yet.

It's just been too long since I've heard a lot of things, and a lot of new IEMs are what I'd consider directly improved versions of older IEMs, so I'd essentially need to start adding entire new tiers etc etc

It'll be removed from my sig, link etc soon :)

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #2,245 of 3,671
It's official!

The RAZ ranking list is dead and buried

I'm really enjoying the impressions format with the occasional review (samples and things I'm especially excited about), so I reckon the reviews will continue flooding in as they are currently.

If anyone has any suggestions, or any formats/shootouts/comparisons they'd like, please lemme know and I'll do my best to hunt down the items in question <3

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #2,246 of 3,671
Haha, just looked at the ranking list 3 minutes ago. I still see use, but I guess you feel it’s very time sensitive?
It's official!

The RAZ ranking list is dead and buried

I'm really enjoying the impressions format with the occasional review (samples and things I'm especially excited about), so I reckon the reviews will continue flooding in as they are currently.

If anyone has any suggestions, or any formats/shootouts/comparisons they'd like, please lemme know and I'll do my best to hunt down the items in question <3

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #2,247 of 3,671
I think we were witnesses to the golden age of lists and rankings, and it's time to move on.

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #2,248 of 3,671
Haha, just looked at the ranking list 3 minutes ago. I still see use, but I guess you feel it’s very time sensitive?
The lower tiers are easy - things that I didn't like at all, or considered that they had some major issues etc etc - if something is a bottom of the barrel, Tier 5 IEM, hearing something even worse won't change that.

It's mostly Tier 1 and 2 that are really problematic. Back when I heard the A18t for the first time it was genuinely one of the best things on the market. Now, sure it's still great, but there's also a bunch of IEMs that beat it at its own game for less. That whole "relativity" of the ranking list kinda kills the point of having tiers.

I've also had quite a lot of questions that Imo defeated the purpose of the ranking list along the lines of "I was curious about X, but I saw you ranked it as a Tier 2 so maybe I shouldn't bother," which is the exact opposite of what I'm trying to accomplish - go try everything you can try, be curious about IEMs, don't take my rambles as any sort of gospel and ultimately, form your own ranking lists in your head

Some of the absolute best things I've heard are Tier 2's, some of my friends' favourite stuff are Tier 4s and definitely Tier 3s as well.

The part of the ranking list that I do want to keep in one way or another however is the short description of the IEMs - I feel like that's a great resource for anyone getting into the hobby, they can get an idea of what a bunch of stuff is like in most general terms.

I might make a big chart as a post on this thread where I keep doing that, with no particular ranking or order

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #2,250 of 3,671
Maybe group by type of music and go from there?
That's even messier haha - I might enjoy listening to rock in a grittier, dirtier way (with boosted lower mids and upper treble), while someone else might go for speed to be able to nitpick every detail

There's also too many genres, and of those, I listen to too few to be able to proide a comprehensive list. There's also a ton of music who's genre I have no idea about

Users who are viewing this thread

Back