RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Oct 15, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #766 of 3,671
Yeahhh when I sent the WhatsApp to the guy who sells them I literally opened with - “I’m after a Diana Phi, no point recommending me an AudioValve Solaris, I ain’t after that vibe” and we clicked nice and fast! :D
Haha! Priceless! :grin:
Very eager to get into the headphone game myself, be it at the amateur level compared to you. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
The Burson is quite compact indeed, and very sleek/modern looking so hopefully I won’t get a mid life crisis every time I power it up haha!
:sweat_smile:

Oct 15, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #767 of 3,671
If nothing else, the R8 is pure packaging endgame... they’ve really outdone themselves there

Yeahhh when I sent the WhatsApp to the guy who sells them I literally opened with - “I’m after a Diana Phi, no point recommending me an AudioValve Solaris, I ain’t after that vibe” and we clicked nice and fast! :D

The Burson is quite compact indeed, and very sleek/modern looking so hopefully I won’t get a mid life crisis every time I power it up haha!

I like this vibe now! For a change someone is not after a $6k+ DAC/AMP to drive a $5k headphones! I saw the new Burson, seems to be a great device! If I wasnt after portability, I would have snagged it, but BX2 is plenty enough for now, just need the Diana V2 ! :D

Oct 15, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #769 of 3,671
I like this vibe now! For a change someone is not after a $6k+ DAC/AMP to drive a $5k headphones! I saw the new Burson, seems to be a great device! If I wasnt after portability, I would have snagged it, but BX2 is plenty enough for now, just need the Diana V2 ! :D
Abundant, cheap and ultra high spec power is becoming more and more easily available and it’s only a matter of time until manufacturers start bringing those specs to amps with some coloration and general appeal beyond numbers alone.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/carver-challenge - this is pretty much what I mean if you have time for a 15 min read :)

Realistically, a lot of that ultra high end 5-10000$ amp and DAC industry is one that has kinda lingered on since the time of my grandmother (she was astonished to hear that tube amps still exist haha) - as a luxury niche they’ll always exist obviously and will have a proper crowd to defend them (and hey, if it makes you happy more power to ya - I’m the last one here to talk about value), but me personally - I roll my eyes so hard every time I see one being dubbed as a “bare necessity” I end up peaking into my big beautiful brain :D

Oct 22, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #771 of 3,671
Aaaaaand I couldn't hold it together once again. Several sales later and a happy new Verite C owner, I've ordered a custom colored neon green 1266 TC. Big shoutout to @Abyss Headphones for their customer service, their response times are ridiculously fast and their design team has some serious chops.... I merely suggested a design concept and they sent me more ideas than I had come up with over several days of reminiscing :D

Oct 22, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #772 of 3,671
Aaaaaand I couldn't hold it together once again. Several sales later and a happy new Verite C owner, I've ordered a custom colored neon green 1266 TC. Big shoutout to @Abyss Headphones for their customer service, their response times are ridiculously fast and their design team has some serious chops.... I merely suggested a design concept and they sent me more ideas than I had come up with over several days of reminiscing :D
Congrats! Look forward to seeing how it turned out and how it will match with the GSX Mini. :sunglasses:

Oct 22, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #773 of 3,671
Congrats! Look forward to seeing how it turned out and how it will match with the GSX Mini. :sunglasses:
42F21B59-B9F8-4401-B7B3-976BAE115D6F.jpeg

Pretty sure this might be the resulting signature :D

Oct 24, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #774 of 3,671
Astell and Kern KANN Alpha - the most brutally overloaded little piece of **** that I've ever had the pleasure of coming across

This will be a relatively short initial impression post as there's so much and so little to be said about this DAP at the same time... long story short this is pretty much the perfect DAP, period. I received a demo from my Spanish dealer today (supersonido.es - super nice shop with loads of good deals, I'd recommend checking it out), but my guy actually sent me a brand new sealed unit - I guess he didn't mind using it as a demo if I didn't want to keep it but yeah, it was pretty smart to send me a brand new unit cause this DAP ain't going nowhere - in fact it's about to trigger such a sell off on my end that I'm going to end up with some 1500 euros net by getting it and that is if I do not sell any desktop amps because of it...

I'm not really the type that uses Bluetooth and all those Connect features and whatnot, so these impressions will pretty much just cover the essentials, with a focus on how it sounds with IEMs and HPs.

1. The power that this offers is nothing short of incredible - it drives both the Diana and the Diana Phi with ease, and it doesn't just get them to a decent volume (the LPGT does that when you almost max it out), it actually gets those planars moving properly. You get the full range, from impactful and present bass, to a full midrange, to well controlled and extended treble with none of that graininess that you often get out of amps that don't power the HPs adequately. Listening to the Diana V2 out of the KANN Alpha I am actually getting the sensation of it reaching its full potential on both technical ability and tonality. I'm looking forward to trying the Abyss 1266 TC on it - just as a guesstimate, it might be able to just about drive it without quite getting it to 100%, as I'm currently reaching about 2/3 of the volume listening to the Diana's. Of the two I personally prefer the Diana V2 pairing as the KANN Alpha has a clearer, slightly brighter signature, and the Phi benefits from a warmer source.

2. Streaming - I can deal with listening to my personal collection on the go as I've downloaded some 30GB of "essentials," but let's face it, it's 2020. Streaming should be standard by this point

3. Size - it is actually very compact for what it is. The size of the Alpha is pretty much that of the LPGT with the case, and weight is quite similar too. I used it outside twice today with 0 troubles of fitting it in the pocket of my jeans. It's a little bulky but not really anywhere near "massive" territory like the Cube

IMG-3069.jpg IMG-3068.jpg

4. Battery life - over 14 hours on low gain. Sign me the **** up, please and thank you. Most of the time I'll probably be using the Alpha in low gain anyways, as I get to a volume level of about 70-80/150 on the A18S and Thummim, no need to even go on the Mid Gain for those. It does tend to get a little fiery on High Gain -and the battery does drain faster naturally - I'll run some tests to see how long it can survive for while playing Tidal on High Gain to get an idea of just how long you can run HPs with it.

5. Sound (IEMs) - all of this would naturally be pretty irrelevant if the DAP were all functionality and no performance (FiiO M11 I'm looking at you) - the KANN Alpha delivers and then some - on raw performance and tonality I'd still lean towards the LPGT as that delivers a little slower, more satisfying and textured bass, while the Alpha has an especially fast low end - it doesn't suck out bass quantity, and actually has better impact and presence than most AKs I've tried, but it also isn't really the kind of bass that really sucks you in and makes you want MOAR

The midrange and treble on the Alpha are both geared towards clarity, but this time around AK didn't overdo it. The SP1000M that I owned back in the day went for the usual fake it till you make it upper midrange bump and the SP2000 got my Elysium to sibilant (which I didn't think was possible :D) - I love the SR25 as that also has more neutral (i.e less bright) tonality, but as you go higher in their offerings you end up with more and more treble for the most part. Anyhow, to get back to the Alpha, I find it that while it does provide a small boost in the treble (somewhere in the lower upper treble from initial estimate, 10k-ish), it actually retains a certain fullness in the signature that I especially enjoy. I'd still recommend to pair it with warmer monitors - I currently only have the A18S and Thummim here with me, but I can definitely see it overdoing the clarity if paired with something that's already bright as is. All in all, slightly clinical but not overly so.

Tonality aside, the part that I find to be absolutely crucial for any good DAP is the technical ability, and the Alpha really nails it. Staging is nothing short of massive, pushing the width of the Thummim even further than the LPGT, but losing out on some height in the process. Detail retrieval and instrumental separation are top notch, couldn't really ask for much more.

Verdict

I generally don't get super excited by DAPs and sources and whatnot, they always felt like more of a means to an end to me than a proper standalone product that I drool over and really follow and buy/sell actively. The Alpha is probably the first DAP that's really gotten my blood flowing, and I mean... with this kind of power, battery life, streaming AND a decently compact body on top of it all, how can it not?

Easily recommended for IEMs, and the only DAP I can genuinely recommend if you plan on driving headphones.

Add: all impressions via 4.4 balanced

IMG-3074.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #775 of 3,671
Astell and Kern KANN Alpha - the most brutally overloaded little piece of **** that I've ever had the pleasure of coming across

Very interesting and enjoyable read - thanks very much for the impressions on this player which to date have been few and far between. Have you perhaps heard the HiBy R8 and, if so, what is your taking on these two? I was also very excited about the Alpha when it was announced but ended up going with the R8 for its full Android support, and more importantly (for me, given me sensitive ears) the slightly warmer, fuller, less clinical HiBy house sound.

I have not heard the Alpha though so I was going purely on speculation and initial impressions, and yours seem to be aligned in terms of the Alpha not being as cold as other AK players but still a decisively AK sound?

Oct 24, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #776 of 3,671
Really nice initial impressions, and the first impressions I've seen anywhere. Would love to compare this to the HiBy R8, which is also plenty powerful with more features. I probably wouldn't go for the Alpha because it doesn't have all the Android goods I need in a DAP, but it's good to know AK are moving in the right direction.

Oct 24, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #777 of 3,671

This will be a relatively short initial impression post as there's so much and so little to be said about this DAP at the same time... long story short this is pretty much the perfect DAP, period. I received a demo from my Spanish dealer today (supersonido.es - super nice shop with loads of good deals, I'd recommend checking it out), but my guy actually sent me a brand new sealed unit - I guess he didn't mind using it as a demo if I didn't want to keep it but yeah, it was pretty smart to send me a brand new unit cause this DAP ain't going nowhere - in fact it's about to trigger such a sell off on my end that I'm going to end up with some 1500 euros net by getting it and that is if I do not sell any desktop amps because of it...

I'm not really the type that uses Bluetooth and all those Connect features and whatnot, so these impressions will pretty much just cover the essentials, with a focus on how it sounds with IEMs and HPs.

1. The power that this offers is nothing short of incredible - it drives both the Diana and the Diana Phi with ease, and it doesn't just get them to a decent volume (the LPGT does that when you almost max it out), it actually gets those planars moving properly. You get the full range, from impactful and present bass, to a full midrange, to well controlled and extended treble with none of that graininess that you often get out of amps that don't power the HPs adequately. Listening to the Diana V2 out of the KANN Alpha I am actually getting the sensation of it reaching its full potential on both technical ability and tonality. I'm looking forward to trying the Abyss 1266 TC on it - just as a guesstimate, it might be able to just about drive it without quite getting it to 100%, as I'm currently reaching about 2/3 of the volume listening to the Diana's. Of the two I personally prefer the Diana V2 pairing as the KANN Alpha has a clearer, slightly brighter signature, and the Phi benefits from a warmer source.

2. Streaming - I can deal with listening to my personal collection on the go as I've downloaded some 30GB of "essentials," but let's face it, it's 2020. Streaming should be standard by this point

3. Size - it is actually very compact for what it is. The size of the Alpha is pretty much that of the LPGT with the case, and weight is quite similar too. I used it outside twice today with 0 troubles of fitting it in the pocket of my jeans. It's a little bulky but not really anywhere near "massive" territory like the Cube

IMG-3069.jpg IMG-3068.jpg

4. Battery life - over 14 hours on low gain. Sign me the **** up, please and thank you. Most of the time I'll probably be using the Alpha in low gain anyways, as I get to a volume level of about 70-80/150 on the A18S and Thummim, no need to even go on the Mid Gain for those. It does tend to get a little fiery on High Gain -and the battery does drain faster naturally - I'll run some tests to see how long it can survive for while playing Tidal on High Gain to get an idea of just how long you can run HPs with it.

5. Sound (IEMs) - all of this would naturally be pretty irrelevant if the DAP were all functionality and no performance (FiiO M11 I'm looking at you) - the KANN Alpha delivers and then some - on raw performance and tonality I'd still lean towards the LPGT as that delivers a little slower, more satisfying and textured bass, while the Alpha has an especially fast low end - it doesn't suck out bass quantity, and actually has better impact and presence than most AKs I've tried, but it also isn't really the kind of bass that really sucks you in and makes you want MOAR

The midrange and treble on the Alpha are both geared towards clarity, but this time around AK didn't overdo it. The SP1000M that I owned back in the day went for the usual fake it till you make it upper midrange bump and the SP2000 got my Elysium to sibilant (which I didn't think was possible :D) - I love the SR25 as that also has more neutral (i.e less bright) tonality, but as you go higher in their offerings you end up with more and more treble for the most part. Anyhow, to get back to the Alpha, I find it that while it does provide a small boost in the treble (somewhere in the lower upper treble from initial estimate, 10k-ish), it actually retains a certain fullness in the signature that I especially enjoy. I'd still recommend to pair it with warmer monitors - I currently only have the A18S and Thummim here with me, but I can definitely see it overdoing the clarity if paired with something that's already bright as is. All in all, slightly clinical but not overly so.

Tonality aside, the part that I find to be absolutely crucial for any good DAP is the technical ability, and the Alpha really nails it. Staging is nothing short of massive, pushing the width of the Thummim even further than the LPGT, but losing out on some height in the process. Detail retrieval and instrumental separation are top notch, couldn't really ask for much more.

Verdict

I generally don't get super excited by DAPs and sources and whatnot, they always felt like more of a means to an end to me than a proper standalone product that I drool over and really follow and buy/sell actively. The Alpha is probably the first DAP that's really gotten my blood flowing, and I mean... with this kind of power, battery life, streaming AND a decently compact body on top of it all, how can it not?

Easily recommended for IEMs, and the only DAP I can genuinely recommend if you plan on driving headphones.

IMG-3074.jpg

Wonderful hype¡ If you're thinking of selling it, I'm in Spain, don't have any hesitation to send me a PM :L3000:

Oct 24, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #778 of 3,671
Wonderful hype¡ If you're thinking of selling it, I'm in Spain, don't have any hesitation to send me a PM :L3000:
The LPGT? The Alpha I have isn’t technically mine but I’ll be submitting payment very soon :D

@gLer @xenithon i haven’t heard the R8 myself but AFAIK it’s been getting pretty mixed feedback - makes more sensitive IEMs hiss apparently and the volume wheel is something that a few mates who had one quite disliked - they all returned or sold theirs almost instantly. Would love to try it though, apparently the UI is incredible

Oct 24, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #779 of 3,671
The LPGT? The Alpha I have isn’t technically mine but I’ll be submitting payment very soon :D

@gLer @xenithon i haven’t heard the R8 myself but AFAIK it’s been getting pretty mixed feedback - makes more sensitive IEMs hiss apparently and the volume wheel is something that a few mates who had one quite disliked - they all returned or sold theirs almost instantly. Would love to try it though, apparently the UI is incredible

Hahaha, no, I want the Kann Alpha. If there is any possibility of discount... maybe anything you could do for us...?

Oct 24, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #780 of 3,671
Hahaha, no, I want the Kann Alpha. If there is any possibility of discount... maybe anything you could do for us...?
I was hoping you’d want the LPGT, so close yet so far :D

I’ll ask but you know how EU dealers are.... so rigid on pricing :frowning2:

Update: you should send Supersonido an email and mention me (mvvRAZ), and they’ll discuss a small % with you :)

@pepodenata as well as anyone else interested

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back