RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Apr 5, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #16 of 3,671
Adding the updated ranking list:
Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 15.49.51.png

Next post featuring the Sony IER Z1R, another take on the Elysium, The QDC Anole VX, the Acoustune 1695Ti and the Tia Fourte

Add: Full impressions on the Khan are about to be shared as well as I noticed in my last post I hadn't quite covered it

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #18 of 3,671
Hi RAZ, for the Z1R what genre of music would work best with it?
That's hard to say, I personally listen to a pretty wide variety of genres and I haven't had the Z1R fail at any of them. The treble is a bit too bright for some modern recordings at times which have artificially boosted clarity, but other than that I can't really say that it doesn't work with anything specific

The genres where the Z1R does stuff that no other IEM I've tried can do, are rock and metal - the DD tweeter presents cymbals with a certain detail and accuracy that's jawdropping

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #19 of 3,671
That's hard to say, I personally listen to a pretty wide variety of genres and I haven't had the Z1R fail at any of them. The treble is a bit too bright for some modern recordings at times which have artificially boosted clarity, but other than that I can't really say that it doesn't work with anything specific

The genres where the Z1R does stuff that no other IEM I've tried can do, are rock and metal - the DD tweeter presents cymbals with a certain detail and accuracy that's jawdropping
I'm curious at how bad the sibilance is compared with something like the Andromeda? Because my Vientos definitely had a bit too much treble energy for me

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #20 of 3,671
I'm curious at how bad the sibilance is compared with something like the Andromeda? Because my Vientos definitely had a bit too much treble energy for me
I personally haven't heard any sibilance come out of the Z1R - the Andromeda has somewhat shouty upper mids which can feel a bit much at times but I wouldn't say that's the case with the Z1R

Apr 6, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #21 of 3,671
RAZ’s review thread and multi-TOTL IEM comparison

Add: this was meant to be a one off Summit-Fi comparison post but I've since decided to use this as a space for "IEM tryouts" where I'll be posting impressions, comparisons and reviews on all things audio. The "My preferences section has also been edited as my tastes have evolved with time and the reviews need to be adjusted to that. Future changes are also possible, it's more of a disclaimer more so than anything else.

About me as a listener and audiophile: Ultimately, I’m just another dude with just another opinion on the internet, so if my statements and assessments offend you, press alt F4 and they will magically disappear. That being said, I have spent the good part of my life listening to music and I have provided dozens of recommendations to friends and fellow HeadFi-ers that for the most part have been successful.

My sound preferences and what I’m looking for in the gear I own: I would define myself as either a mid-head or a treble-head, so overly dark gear is out of the question. Technical ability of the IEMs is also very important for me, especially detail retrieval and instrumental separation. As most people I enjoy a large soundstage, but if the separation is on point I can deal with a more intimate setting. I used to have a really strong bass sensitivity, which has luckily been cured - yay!

The two things that I absolutely need in an IEM to enjoy it on a long-term basis are good timbre/texture and treble presence + extension. I can't not state that, and ultimately anything that fails in that department will end up with me getting bored of. I won't be marking things down because of less present treble, but you probably won't see me owning them either.

Assessment criteria and format: I'll keep reviews relatively short and brief, full reviews are scattered around head-fi. Might make a post with all links and whatnot, who knows.

With all of that out of the way, let us begin

For post #1, the IEM list is as follows (at the time paired with the AK SP1000M and RME ADI 2 DAC):

- 64Audio Tia Fourte Noir

- 64Audio U18t Tzar

- FiR M5

- Vision Ears Elysium

- Noble Katana

- Noble Khan

The two sources:

- RME ADI 2 DAC

- AK SP1000M

The budget mid-fi setup:

- AK SR15
- Noble Savant II
- Labkable Violet

1. 64Audio Noir – if you plan on auditioning the Noir, it is crucial that you bring a cable with you that is different from the stock one. There’s something genuinely weird about the upgraded cable as it makes the Noir sound way too energetic to the point where you lose the instrumental separation and it sounds congested. The bass becomes excessive as well, while the treble extension suffers.

Once you have changed the cable, the Noir opens up and becomes a very “complete” IEM, and the all-rounder that I would evaluate to be the best on the market right now. It presents the music with a certain ease and smoothness that few IEMs achieve, making recordings sound better than they really are – your music never sounded this good. This is heavily contrasted with the U18t, which will show you exactly what the recording sounds like, without any forgiveness for imperfections.

The soundstage is massive, with plenty of instrumental separation and detail retrieval. The Noir is able to really dazzle you with just how technical of a performance it can deliver, while remaining easy and fun to listen to. 64 have managed to achieve an extremely fine balance in the tuning of their flagship, making it sound musical, technical and precise all at the same time.

The second truly special aspect of the 64 Noir is how well it scales with sources and cables. You can fine tune the sound to exactly what you like, and it will keep on getting better and better as you upgrade the rest of your setup. It will sound good off an AK SR15. It will sound exceptional paired with an RME, or an AK SP1000M.

The IEM doesn’t really have any disadvantages, except its price. It is nearly 4000$, and once you factor in import taxes and costs, it usually goes pretty significantly over the 4k mark. Ofcourse it depends on you how much you’re willing to spend on a pair of IEMs, but the price is a pretty significant disadvantage for the Noir when comparing it with other IEMs.

2. 64 U/A18t – the 18t puts the Monitor in IEM. It is the ultimate reference, as it will tell you exactly how what you’re listening to sounds. And by exactly, I really do mean spot on, along with every single imperfection or inconsistency in the recording. I imagine for sound engineers this is the ultimate IEM, as it is insanely revealing.

Describing the frequency response of the 18t is a bit useless, as the IEM is insanely responsive to cable rolling and source swapping. I am currently using it with the FiR 13 module, as well as the Silver + Gold cable from Plussound (Poetic Series), and the result is a very bass-light, mid centric U18t with tons of sparkle. It’s plugged into the RME ADI 2 DAC, so you have a very black soundstage, and technical ability able to astound just about anyone.

The main topic of discussion here is just how much the U18t is able to do once given a proper source and a good recording. The soundstage is very large, just shy that of the Noir, with similar precision in the placement. Instrumental separation is hands down the best I’ve heard in the audio industry, and the detail retrieval is unlike anything you have ever tried before. Spend a little while with it and I guarantee you’ll end up hearing stuff you’ve never known were there before, even on tracks you know by hard.

What 64 have done without the use of a dynamic driver or estats is absolutely magnificent. The U18t is an IEM that will most certainly be regarded as one of those all-time classics that never really ages.

3. FiR M5 – the FiR M5 was the IEM that I had the toughest time describing and discussing. On one hand, it was an IEM that I loved from the moment I tried it. Truly spectacular sound, coherency for days, soundstage, detail retrieval – everything you could ask for in a TOTL and much more. It has deep and impactful bass, clean mids and amazing sparkly highs. I had a proper honeymoon period with it when it was the only thing I would listen to and everything else felt inferior.

That being said, there were a few issues that led me to ultimately trade it in for the #5 on this list, the Noble Khan. First and foremost, the M5 features something similar to the LID tech 64 audio offers on its Trio, or Custom Art’s FIBAE. Essentially, no matter what cable you put on it, or what source you try it with, the M5 will maintain its frequency response pretty constant so I can’t perform my usual bass slaughter ritual. That coupled with my bass sensitivity means listening to the M5 would give me pretty regular headaches, which wasn’t too much fun.

The other aspect that I have mixed feeling towards is the RCX connector (or FiRCon), which does feel way better than 2pin and MMCX, and comes with a 3 year warranty, but it does limit how much you can cable roll. I personally enjoy matching IEMs and cables, and I didn’t have the adapters so that also took away some of the fun.

If you’re looking for an IEM to simply plug into your DAP or phone or whatever, and don’t care for all the fine tuning etc, the FiR M5 is an amazing choice. Extremely coherent once again, and a stellar performer across all frequencies, with technicality for days. In my specific use case, the Khan made more sense though.

4. VE Elysium – my personal favourite out of the bunch, and the one that gets around 60% of the total playtime. The Elysium provides a midrange that offers such detail, texture and body that will ruin other IEMs for you. I’d say the whole performance comes alive in front of you, but really it is an exaggeration of the reality and in the best sense of the word. While VE were tuning and designing the Elysium I imagine they spent a good 80% of the time perfecting the midrange to reach this level. The mids are complemented by excellent, gorgeous estat highs. Once again they act as a support to the midrange, giving it extension, clarity and detail. At no point is there any leakage or excessive highs, but they aren’t afraid to perform either. Plenty of sparkle, 0 sibilance and tons of excitement.

The instrumental separation is on point, allowing you to hear each instrument and vocal as their own performance, but they are joined together by an energetic performance and an intimate, but extremely precise soundstage. Detail retrieval is at a remarkable level, comparable to that of the A/U18t, but it is centered around the mids and the highs as opposed to across the entire spectrum as is the A/U18t.

All the being said, the bass will probably be a dealbreaker for many. It is very light, probably south of neutral, and really acts as a support to the midrange as opposed to a frequency asking for any sorts of attention. This weakness of the IEM is something that very specifically fits my preferences, but I can see how it can also be an issue.

The VE Elysium generally requires a pretty good source to be able to dazzle. Having listened to it with the FiiO M11 and the AK SR15 you can hear that something is missing, as the treble isn’t as lively as energetic as you’d like it to be. Once you’ve fed it a more proper source however it really shines and is able to deliver the performance advertised. This is contrasted with the rest of the IEMs on the list, which are able to sound really good off an entry level source, but only keep on scaling as you improve it. Getting the VE Elysium only really makes sense if you have a great source ready for it as is.

5. Noble Katana – I think the most important thing to say about the Katana is that this isn’t an IEM that will win your heart over from the moment you’ve heard it. It probably won’t impress you the first time around, but it also most certainly won’t disappoint you the 1500th either.

Its sound signature and presentation make it an amazing daily IEM, one that you can grab without giving it a second thought and you are guaranteed to have a great companion for whatever you’re doing. The bass is neutral, with an emphasis on the sub-bass, giving you a wonderful sense of quality over quantity. It also has the Noble midrange it is famous for, giving vocals and instruments plenty of warmth and keeping them center-stage.

What I find to be quite special about the Katana is that it will really prioritize what the track is all about, without as many distractions as the rest of the IEMs in this list offer. If a certain moment is all about the vocals, the Katana will convey that. The U18t will focus on picking out every detail and nuance of the background instruments, and draw your attention to them, which I do agree is very impressive and has that wow factor, but I often find myself completely missing the point of the music and instead marveling at the level of technicality these IEMs achieve.

Returning to the topic of what makes the Katana such a good daily IEM, this is probably the only place in this series of reviews in which I’d mention the build, because Noble have created a tank the size of an IEM. There is no punishment (except water of course) that the Katana won’t take and leave with completely unaffected. If you have a busy work environment with plenty of moving around and need something that can take a moderate to high beating, this is the IEM for you.

6. Noble Khan – I received my Khan following a trade less than a week ago, so these are still pretty fresh impressions and subject to some possible future changes. When I first listened to it, the first thing that really came to my mind is just how open it sounded. It has that same airiness and seamlessness as open back headphones, where you can just lay back and enjoy the music.

The Khan and the Katana have a certain level of similarity, as they both have that Noble midrange DNA and focus on what is essential in the piece they are performing. Where they deviate is that the Khan has a much larger soundstage and an impressive level of technicality. The Khan’s treble is also much more accurate and airier, giving you that sense of openness and clarity.

The dynamic driver is used very well as it has been tuned for less bass quantity and more bass quality – you get the depth and impact without having to put up with explosions in your head every few seconds. It is still a touch too much for me personally, but I’ve heard plenty of people complain that they don’t find it enough so I’m honestly not sure what to tell you here.

On the topic of the treble, I think the Khan definitely needs a source and cable that aren’t too bright and treble-forward, because under many combinations it becomes too much to the point where it feels like it acts as a coat to whatever is playing. You get your music, everything sounds great, but there’s just this additional layer of treble that feels out of place. I am currently listening to the Khan using the SP1000M and the new Noble 8wire (copper) and it sounds very coherent.

The Khan is also decently cheaper than all the other IEMs in this list (except the Katana), but it does offer a similar level of performance, and depending on your taste, possibly even higher. They’re all ridiculously pricey, but it is worth mentioning – after all, it is a whole 1400$ cheaper than the Noir.

Conclusions

Ultimately each and every one of these IEMs performs on such a high level that you could blind pick whichever and most likely be one happy audiophile.

A big shoutout to all the folks on HeadFi for making this such a fun hobby and for the discussions we have had/will have

I will be using this thread as a space for all my future reviews and discussions, but if you have any questions or would like a recommendation please feel free to PM me!
Thanks for the review and it is amazing! Just wonder whether you have the chance to review the production version of FiR M5, which using mmcx now and cable rolling becomes easy?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #22 of 3,671
Thanks for the review and it is amazing! Just wonder whether you have the chance to review the production version of FiR M5, with using mmcx now and cable rolling becomes easy?
The M5 that I reviewed does have the final production tuning, but not the MMCX socket - it should technically sound the same as the newer universals that they released

There's a few reports on Head-Fi about significant unit variation between M5 units though, so there might still be some differences between the one I heard and the one you're potentially listen to/have listened to

Apr 6, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #23 of 3,671
The M5 that I reviewed does have the final production tuning, but not the MMCX socket - it should technically sound the same as the newer universals that they released

There's a few reports on Head-Fi about significant unit variation between M5 units though, so there might still be some differences between the one I heard and the one you're potentially listen to/have listened to
Thanks. I owned the M5 for just over a month and found that the sound signature is similar to 64 Tia Fourte of which I have used as everyday IEM in the past 2 years, but with better treble and resolution. I may describe it as Fourte Ultimate and I also found it is not fatiquing for prolonged audition. I pair it mainly with 1960s 2 wires.

For Z1R, I totally agreed with your view, what an amazing IEM and all rounders!

Apr 6, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #24 of 3,671
Thanks. I owned the M5 for just over a month and found that the sound signature is similar to 64 Tia Fourte of which I have used as everyday IEM in the past 2 years, but with better treble and resolution. I may describe it as Fourte Ultimate and I also found it is not fatiquing for prolonged audition. I pair it mainly with 1960s 2 wires.

For Z1R, I totally agreed with your view, what an amazing IEM and all rounders!
The Fourte has a rather weird tonality I agree, but I also find it’s that tonality that gives it its name and reputation. It’s not an IEM that I listen to often but it’s certainly something special

The FiR M5 is a great IEM and it does have a lot of stuff in common with the Fourte but ultimately its safer tuning is what pushed me away from it - I find it has the same drawbacks as the Fourte (the excessive smoothness), without the unique character

Apr 11, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #25 of 3,671
Okayyy here we go with Post #2!

The sources have changed since my last post to the Hugo 2 for my desktop setup, and the WM1Z for portable - yes I know it's a brick, but it's a brick that sounds heavenly so I shall carry the burden with honour. As to the Hugo 2, while it is somewhat bright, I'd say it's also one of the DACs with the highest level of technical performance. It doesn't do as well with sensitive IEMs, but luckily all three of my current top picks are a bit harder to drive and don't hiss when paired with it.

I decided to re-cover the Khan instead of the Elysium in this post

1. The Noble Audio Khan

The Khan is an IEM that I was somewhat divided on at first, but as I spent more time with it my dissatisfaction with it only grew for a number of reasons. For one, the build quality is something I can't get over no matter how long I spent with it. Terrible sockets, and an overall plasticky cheap build with a really boring design - just no, especially at that price point. The shells were also quite bulky which I didn't appreciate especially and sat really oddly in my ears.

As far as sound was concerned, my main issue with the Khan is that treble coat that everything is literally covered in. The Pieszo driver just feels like it is over-performing constantly, attempting to give the feeling of "airiness" but imo remains a tuning mistake more so than anything else. Not only that, the treble is really dry and cold - I feel like the A18t by 64 is an excellent choice if you want tons of treble but one that is tuned right with appropriate control and sense of sparkle. The bass is done well, where it is quite flat but with slow and pleasant decay. The midrange is somewhat recessed, very thin and lacking almost all texture.

It is worth mentioning here that the sockets on mine did not allow for cable rolling, and I hate foam tips, while the Khan is kind of designed to work with foamies to balance out the treble somewhat. I suppose it's worth more a longer try if you enjoy something like Comply foam tips and/or if you have an aftermarket with a solid amount of gold in it to give the treble response some sparkle - something along the lines of the Labkable Pandora or the Plussound silver + gold

I'd say the Encore and Katana are much more solid options from Noble, and while they do need an update, they also remain the more adequate sounding options of the three.

2. The QDC Anole VX

I decided to buy the Anole off a friend as it was getting loads of praise and I figured my initial impression of it might've been insufficient to make up my mind about it - alas, I was wrong.

The thing is, the Anole is a genuinely great IEM and in my attempt to retain some degree of objectivity I can't say really say otherwise. With the bass switch down you get fast and precise, somewhat typical BA bass, with the switch up you get a fair bit more quantity with significantly slower decay, in many ways resembling a DD. The bass texture isn't that of the Legend X of course, but it most certainly is up there. The midrange doesn't lag behind either, and performs quite consistently well - it doesn't do much to solve the typical BA mids thickness/texture, but let's face it - very very few IEMs in the industry do. I can't say anything bad about the treble either, just make sure you get a somewhat deeper insertion to avoid the treble spike. Smaller tips will help do that. It is well controlled, sparkly, pleasant treble.

The Anole is also fairly technical, with good clarity, separation and detail retrieval. The imaging is on point as well, though the soundstage is a bit narrow for my liking - not too much unlike that of the Elysium, though the latter has better resolution.

On paper I can't really say I have a problem with the Anole, but personally I do - I find it really, really boring. I guess the same can be said about the 64 Trio, where it does everything well, but nothing in its performance is able to really stand out and dazzle. To my ears the Anole doesn't have a clear strength that it can flex and say, I'm comfortably the best at doing that - and considering it's $2500-ish price tag, I'd expect it to be able to really set itself apart. Also not a big fan of the sockets or the switches for that matter

I can't recommend against it but I can't give it a glowing recommendation either. Good all around really

3. The Sony IER-Z1R

Before anything else, if you ever get to demo this, make absolutely sure that you have a powerful source or you won't really get much out of it's DD tweeter. On my first try I had the AK SR15 only with me, which could not get much out of the Z1R

Anyhow, I've heard countless theories on what driver covers what, the one that sounded most plausible to me was that it's a full range BA and a full range DD covering the lows mids and highs, and the DD tweeter covering the treble and upper treble - or something like that. Either way, the Z1R sounds like the successful marriage of a BA and a DD, where you have the clarity that is typical for BA setups, and the texture that only a well implemented DD can deliver. I'd say my requirements as far as the midrange is concerned are about as high as they come, and while the Z1R doesn't have much quantity, it maintains absolutely exceptional quality through the mids. Instruments as well as vocals have a certain weight to them that very few IEMs can achieve, and at no point do they get overpowered by the lows or highs - they do sit at a somewhat even plane with them however, which might or might not work for you.

The bass and treble deserve their own special mentions here - the bass because it has the slowest decay I'm yet to hear a DD in an IEM produce. It might be overdone, but I find it to be one of the most satisfying things I've ever heard or will hear.

The highs, because well they're the finest, most detailed and controlled highs I have ever seen a piece of audio gear execute. You can hear every treble note better than if it were being played dead in front of you. People that are debating estat vs BA tweeters - look no further, the Z1R has been around for a while already and put them both to shame. If you are treble sensitive however you might find it has a bit too much for you

The Z1R does have one flaw, and that is higher register vocals in specific recordings - I suppose that the DD tweeter kicks in there and gives them a certain sharpness that isn't the most pleasant and can sound quite shrill. It is limited to rather specific occasions however, so I can't really say this is a dealbreaker with them. As far as fit is concerned, they fit me exceptionally, but tons of other Head-Fiers have complained about their size and shape. Try them out before committing to a purchase.

4. Acoustune 1695Ti

This little guy deserves a special mention because it retails at about half of what the rest of the options in this thread, but isn't far behind in performance - easily my favourite 1000-ish option – not only that, the 1695Ti competes quite comfortably with the rest of the options in this list and outperforms a fair bit of them

The tonality is quite pleasing, though it is also the only real criticism I can extend as far as these IEMs are concerned. The bass is very smooth, with pronouncedly slow decay and relatively mellow midbass and slam – the lower mids are relatively neutral with an upper mid boost, which sounds lovely with female vocals giving them excellent body and extension, but can get somewhat unpleasant with male vocals in higher register. The treble extension is on point as well, with sufficient presence.

The one place where the 1695Ti really shines is coherency – I’m not a big believer in the theories that multi-driver set ups are inherently incoherent, but if there’s an IEM that really made me consider single DDs and what they can accomplish, that’s the 1695Ti – it is outstanding.

The soundstage is reasonably wide with depth that’s highly dependent on the fit and seal you get on them. I got especially good results with these while using Custom Art tips as they fit me pretty much like a custom as a result and the sound improved noticeably too. Detail retrieval is alright, though it’s not its biggest strength and instrumental separation is on a higher level, though no A18t/Elysium here either

If you’re looking for something around the 1000$ mark, I can’t recommend anything as highly as I can recommend the Acoustune 1695Ti

5. 64 Audio Tia Fourte

The Tia Fourte is an IEM that’s been discussed around the forums about as many times as all other IEMs have been discussed collectively I think… I’ll only real post my feelings on these as opposed to full-fledged impressions

The most significant thing that can be said about these, is that I don’t think anyone can tell you what they actually sound like – they’re a weird, indescribable sound, almost like a mistake that ended up becoming one of the most notorious audio products out there – if you get a chance to demo it, please do. You might not like it but I can promise it’s going to be a fun and interesting experience, unlike almost anything that an IEM has been able to produce so

The one thing that’s quite universally agreed upon is that these are really, really, really technical. One of the widest soundstages in audio, top notch detail, great extension and separation. You could make the argument that the soundstage is unnaturally wide but then again, I feel like their purpose is to present the music in an exaggerated, over-the-top manner and they most certainly succeed in doing so.

I’m confident in saying the Fourte is going to stay relevant in the years to come, as a TOTL that isn’t necessarily for everyone, but considering how unique it is plenty of people will be drawn to it and/or keeping it in their collections. I also don’t think that it’s a model that will ever be upgraded – the Fourte Noir for example was well received by many, but I feel like it remains a fundamentally different IEM, more of a Trio upgrade than a Fourte one

Can’t change the Fourte while keeping it the unique masterpiece that it is – if you ask me, leave it be and expand/upgrade the rest of the line-up.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #26 of 3,671
Okayyy here we go with Post #2!

The sources have changed since my last post to the Hugo 2 for my desktop setup, and the WM1Z for portable - yes I know it's a brick, but it's a brick that sounds heavenly so I shall carry the burden with honour. As to the Hugo 2, while it is somewhat bright, I'd say it's also one of the DACs with the highest level of technical performance. It doesn't do as well with sensitive IEMs, but luckily all three of my current top picks are a bit harder to drive and don't hiss when paired with it.

I decided to re-cover the Khan instead of the Elysium in this post - The Elysium will join the next post along with the A18s where I cover the synergies my favourite picks have with different sources and cables

1. The Noble Audio Khan

The Khan is an IEM that I was somewhat divided on at first, but as I spent more time with it my dissatisfaction with it only grew for a number of reasons. For one, the build quality is something I can't get over no matter how long I spent with it. Terrible sockets, and an overall plasticky cheap build with a really boring design - just no, especially at that price point. The shells were also quite bulky which I didn't appreciate especially and sat really oddly in my ears.

As far as sound was concerned, my main issue with the Khan is that treble coat that everything is literally covered in. The Pieszo driver just feels like it is over-performing constantly, attempting to give the feeling of "airiness" but imo remains a tuning mistake more so than anything else. Not only that, the treble is really dry and cold - I feel like the A18t by 64 is an excellent choice if you want tons of treble but one that is tuned right with appropriate control and sense of sparkle. The bass is done well, where it is quite flat but with slow and pleasant decay. The midrange is somewhat recessed, very thin and lacking almost all texture.

It is worth mentioning here that the sockets on mine did not allow for cable rolling, and I hate foam tips, while the Khan is kind of designed to work with foamies to balance out the treble somewhat. I suppose it's worth more a longer try if you enjoy something like Comply foam tips and/or if you have an aftermarket with a solid amount of gold in it to give the treble response some sparkle - something along the lines of the Labkable Pandora or the Plussound silver + gold

I'd say the Encore and Katana are much more solid options from Noble, and while they do need an update, they also remain the more adequate sounding options of the three.

2. The QDC Anole VX

I decided to buy the Anole off a friend as it was getting loads of praise and I figured my initial impression of it might've been insufficient to make up my mind about it - alas, I was wrong.

The thing is, the Anole is a genuinely great IEM and in my attempt to retain some degree of objectivity I can't say really say otherwise. With the bass switch down you get fast and precise, somewhat typical BA bass, with the switch up you get a fair bit more quantity with significantly slower decay, in many ways resembling a DD. The bass texture isn't that of the Legend X of course, but it most certainly is up there. The midrange doesn't lag behind either, and performs quite consistently well - it doesn't do much to solve the typical BA mids thickness/texture, but let's face it - very very few IEMs in the industry do. I can't say anything bad about the treble either, just make sure you get a somewhat deeper insertion to avoid the treble spike. Smaller tips will help do that. It is well controlled, sparkly, pleasant treble.

The Anole is also fairly technical, with good clarity, separation and detail retrieval. The imaging is on point as well, though the soundstage is a bit narrow for my liking - not too much unlike that of the Elysium, though the latter has better resolution.

On paper I can't really say I have a problem with the Anole, but personally I do - I find it really, really boring. I guess the same can be said about the 64 Trio, where it does everything well, but nothing in its performance is able to really stand out and dazzle. To my ears the Anole doesn't have a clear strength that it can flex and say, I'm comfortably the best at doing that - and considering it's $2500-ish price tag, I'd expect it to be able to really set itself apart. Also not a big fan of the sockets or the switches for that matter

I can't recommend against it but I can't give it a glowing recommendation either. Good all around really

3. The Sony IER-Z1R

Before anything else, if you ever get to demo this, make absolutely sure that you have a powerful source or you won't really get much out of it's DD tweeter. On my first try I had the AK SR15 only with me, which could not get much out of the Z1R

Anyhow, I've heard countless theories on what driver covers what, the one that sounded most plausible to me was that it's a full range BA and a full range DD covering the lows mids and highs, and the DD tweeter covering the treble and upper treble - or something like that. Either way, the Z1R sounds like the successful marriage of a BA and a DD, where you have the clarity that is typical for BA setups, and the texture that only a well implemented DD can deliver. I'd say my requirements as far as the midrange is concerned are about as high as they come, and while the Z1R doesn't have much quantity, it maintains absolutely exceptional quality through the mids. Instruments as well as vocals have a certain weight to them that very few IEMs can achieve, and at no point do they get overpowered by the lows or highs - they do sit at a somewhat even plane with them however, which might or might not work for you.

The bass and treble deserve their own special mentions here - the bass because it has the slowest decay I'm yet to hear a DD in an IEM produce. It might be overdone, but I find it to be one of the most satisfying things I've ever heard or will hear.

The highs, because well they're the finest, most detailed and controlled highs I have ever seen a piece of audio gear execute. You can hear every treble note better than if it were being played dead in front of you. People that are debating estat vs BA tweeters - look no further, the Z1R has been around for a while already and put them both to shame. If you are treble sensitive however you might find it has a bit too much for you

The Z1R does have one flaw, and that is higher register vocals in specific recordings - I suppose that the DD tweeter kicks in there and gives them a certain sharpness that isn't the most pleasant and can sound quite shrill. It is limited to rather specific occasions however, so I can't really say this is a dealbreaker with them. As far as fit is concerned, they fit me exceptionally, but tons of other Head-Fiers have complained about their size and shape. Try them out before committing to a purchase.

4. Acoustune 1695Ti

This little guy deserves a special mention because it retails at about half of what the rest of the options in this thread, but isn't far behind in performance - easily my favourite 1000-ish option – not only that, the 1695Ti competes quite comfortably with the rest of the options in this list and outperforms a fair bit of them

The tonality is quite pleasing, though it is also the only real criticism I can extend as far as these IEMs are concerned. The bass is very smooth, with pronouncedly slow decay and relatively mellow midbass and slam – the lower mids are relatively neutral with an upper mid boost, which sounds lovely with female vocals giving them excellent body and extension, but can get somewhat unpleasant with male vocals in higher register. The treble extension is on point as well, with sufficient presence.

The one place where the 1695Ti really shines is coherency – I’m not a big believer in the theories that multi-driver set ups are inherently incoherent, but if there’s an IEM that really made me consider single DDs and what they can accomplish, that’s the 1695Ti – it is outstanding.

The soundstage is reasonably wide with depth that’s highly dependent on the fit and seal you get on them. I got especially good results with these while using Custom Art tips as they fit me pretty much like a custom as a result and the sound improved noticeably too. Detail retrieval is alright, though it’s not its biggest strength and instrumental separation is on a higher level, though no A18t/Elysium here either

If you’re looking for something around the 1000$ mark, I can’t recommend anything as highly as I can recommend the Acoustune 1695Ti

5. 64 Audio Tia Fourte

The Tia Fourte is an IEM that’s been discussed around the forums about as many times as all other IEMs have been discussed collectively I think… I’ll only real post my feelings on these as opposed to full-fledged impressions

The most significant thing that can be said about these, is that I don’t think anyone can tell you what they actually sound like – they’re a weird, indescribable sound, almost like a mistake that ended up becoming one of the most notorious audio products out there – if you get a chance to demo it, please do. You might not like it but I can promise it’s going to be a fun and interesting experience, unlike almost anything that an IEM has been able to produce so

The one thing that’s quite universally agreed upon is that these are really, really, really technical. One of the widest soundstages in audio, top notch detail, great extension and separation. You could make the argument that the soundstage is unnaturally wide but then again, I feel like their purpose is to present the music in an exaggerated, over-the-top manner and they most certainly succeed in doing so.

I’m confident in saying the Fourte is going to stay relevant in the years to come, as a TOTL that isn’t necessarily for everyone, but considering how unique it is plenty of people will be drawn to it and/or keeping it in their collections. I also don’t think that it’s a model that will ever be upgraded – the Fourte Noir for example was well received by many, but I feel like it remains a fundamentally different IEM, more of a Trio upgrade than a Fourte one

Can’t change the Fourte while keeping it the unique masterpiece that it is – if you ask me, leave it be and expand/upgrade the rest of the line-up.

great comparison
I have the opportunity to buy both Ier-z1r and Tia Fourte, the price is practically the same
which one to choose as a source of Wm1z ?
I am also looking for that similar in character and treble to Obravo eamt 1c or 2c
I mean high frequencies and in particular better balanced in sound :)

Apr 11, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #27 of 3,671
great comparison
I have the opportunity to buy both Ier-z1r and Tia Fourte, the price is practically the same
which one to choose as a source of Wm1z ?
I am also looking for that similar in character and treble to Obravo eamt 1c or 2c
I mean high frequencies and in particular better balanced in sound :)
Both of them are great options... the Z1R fits my ear shape better but most people prefer the Fourte in that respect. Sound-wise the Z1R sounds a bit more “correct” while the Fourte is a great kind of weird.

if I could only own one or the other however I’d pick the Z1R I think as it works better with more genres while the Fourte can get a bit sibilant and hot with certain recordings

Apr 14, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #30 of 3,671
Hey Raz can you give a brief comparison between the z1r and a18s. I have the z1r and really like it. I had the u12t but found the treble lacking but liked the rest of the frequency. Does the a18s have more treble than the u12t? I am wondering if the z1r will be too close of a sound sig to the a18s. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back