RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Mar 8, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #1,771 of 3,671
A18S shipped to JH for scanning! Jolene here we go!

Mar 13, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #1,773 of 3,671
While waiting for Michael’s Jolene, just a couple pics of my newfound love

E71E1895-3F81-4955-8221-E831AD11D387.jpeg

466A52E5-60A9-48AF-A8B8-CDA6CAF87987.jpeg

FA840F43-B4EC-4FE0-B370-DFEFD017FDA1.jpeg

Mar 13, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #1,775 of 3,671
Mar 13, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #1,777 of 3,671
Beautiful! Can't wait to receive mine...
Thanks, and you’ve got quite a few coming in :relaxed:

On another note, I’m looking to get another DAC, but still torn between Terminator II, Holo May and Baltic 3. Any input perhaps as a May user? And which version of May do you have?

Mar 13, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #1,778 of 3,671
I have the May Level 2 as I figured it is the top model intended by Holo Audio. The KTE is basically a revised tuning as some parts were changed by Kitsune.
I love how this R2R dac sounds...very natural sounding, less digital glare and closer to analog sound as I tried it also with my speaker setup which I run with vinyl as my main source. Not much into measurements but there's an article in Stereophile claiming the May to be best measuring R2R dac they have tried.

Mar 13, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #1,779 of 3,671
I have the May Level 2 as I figured it is the top model intended by Holo Audio. The KTE is basically a revised tuning as some parts were changed by Kitsune.
I love how this R2R dac sounds...very natural sounding, less digital glare and closer to analog sound as I tried it also with my speaker setup which I run with vinyl as my main source. Not much into measurements but there's an article in Stereophile claiming the May to be best measuring R2R dac they have tried.
Got it. Yeah the May did receive many glowing reviews and so did Terminator (and they’re coming out with version 2 soon, with some trickle down parts from T-Plus). Not so many reviews on Baltic 3 yet but because it uses tubes for its analog stage, it looks attractive as well. Thanks!

Mar 19, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #1,780 of 3,671
Focal MG impressions coming up this weekend!

Mar 19, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #1,781 of 3,671
Focal MG impressions coming up this weekend!
Wow, that was fast! I only just saw them on the Head-Fi front page. You don't hang around, do you? :joy:

Mar 22, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #1,782 of 3,671
Okayyy Focal Clear MG - best Focal bass yet but so what

This one will be especially brief honestly, the TLDR here is that the MG is quite underwhelming, and there isn't all that much to be said

The best part of the MG is the build quality and design - genuinely exceptional. I don't think I've come across any headphone at any price point that is this visually attractive and generally comfortable and pleasant to use, except maybe the Utopia. I love the 1266TC's design, but it doesn't come close in terms of comfort (unfortunately the Focals don't come close on the sound :/)

On sound, and the primary reason why this review will be very brief, is the fact that the sound is flat out underwhelming in how boring and generic it is. I don't hate it, or maybe I do, but I am swayed by how well the headphone is put together so I roast it with a heavy hand

The bass, in terms of quantity, is a little less than what I'd like, but in terms of quality is exceptional by Focal standards. It doesn't have that 0 decay they love to put in their headphones - that always came across to me as almost distorted, lacking all lifelike quality - it doesn't even have a boom to it, so it just sounds flat out wrong to me. The Focal Clear MG is a big step up in that sense, since it has softer edges to it, with a pleasant punch and decay. It isn't sloppy either, it's just a little more satisfying.

The midrange and treble is where it all goes wrong for my preferences. The midrange is quite wet, a little warm, and decently forward. Nothing ever sounds hot on it, female vocals have a pleasant sense of boost and enhancement to them, but it really is a very predominantly vocal headphone. The main issue with the midrange to my ears is that it sits distinctly in front of the treble. When the cymbals kick in I hear them as a somewhat distant phenomenon in the back of a performance dominated by the vocal performance.

I've never been a big fan of that wetness honestly, and in the case of the MG it doesn't really come with any thickness either - it just sounds generic to me. I guess it's an attempt at a more natural sound signature, especially considering that other Focals are pretty bright and surgical, but Imo the Clear MG went way too far and ended up just not really having any personality in the process.

The treble is extremely un-exciting. No lower treble peaks, no upper treble peaks, just kinda dead in the water over here. It extends decently well, but the midrange forwardness just eats it up if that makes sense

In terms of technical ability, staging is decent but nothing to really lose your mind over

All in all, sick design, mindnumbigly boring sound. I'd comfortably take my DT1990 over them regardless of price. Compared to the Utopia... Hmm. I really dislike the Utopia's signature but I feel like it has much more going for it in terms of treble presence and extension, technical ability, staging and detail. The Utopia is a headphone with a personality, and even though it's a personality I don't love, I'd take any personality over no personality

Mar 22, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #1,784 of 3,671
Seems most everyone - at least from the impressions I’ve read - agrees that the Clear MG is actually a step backwards from the Clear. If they’ve discontinued the Clear too, that’s a big yikes! Thanks for the write-up as usual :)
It’s been a while since I heard the clear honestly, but just from memory, yeah I’d take it over the MG. I’d definitely take my Elear over the MG too, I find it to be one of the best headphones under 1000 despite its somewhat wonky tonality

Mar 22, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #1,785 of 3,671
It’s been a while since I heard the clear honestly, but just from memory, yeah I’d take it over the MG. I’d definitely take my Elear over the MG too, I find it to be one of the best headphones under 1000 despite its somewhat wonky tonality
Ever heard the Stellia? You might like that one ... but I don’t count on it 😝

Users who are viewing this thread

Back