RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Aug 12, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #46 of 3,671
I only tried the universal version of the Elysium, and that was already an iem high level.
Do you have a post on HF with differences between universal and custom ?
And have you ever tried custom tips ?
I’ve only demoed the uni elysium. I haven’t been able to do a proper comparison side by side by I discussed it with @twister6. With silicone tips he found the Elysium to be a fair bit brighter (and so did I), as well as thinner. Foam tips on the universal seem to do a great job though, getting the sound a lot closer to what I’m experiencing with the custom

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #47 of 3,671
Thanks, sadly, I am not a big fan of foam tips...
But I’ll try to use them on Elysium... For science lol

How do you use the foam tips ? You just put them at the enter of the ear ? Or you try to put them deeper ?

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #48 of 3,671
Thanks, sadly, I am not a big fan of foam tips...
But I’ll try to use them on Elysium... For science lol

How do you use the foam tips ? You just put them at the enter of the ear ? Or you try to put them deeper ?
Oh no idea. If I have to use foam I don’t use the IEM lol

Aug 12, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #49 of 3,671
:smile:

Maybe @twister6 could answer me then lol

Aug 12, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #50 of 3,671
:smile:

Maybe @twister6 could answer me then lol

About eartips? I covered eartips rolling in my Ely review, but eartips selection is very subjective due to difference in our ear anatomy. So, often it is down to trial and error.

Aug 12, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #51 of 3,671
About eartips? I covered eartips rolling in my Ely review, but eartips selection is very subjective due to difference in our ear anatomy. So, often it is down to trial and error.

Thanks for the link, great review btw !
And I agree with you, the code 51 is outstanding with the Ely !

Anyway, my question was :
«
»

Aug 17, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #52 of 3,671
Really happy to announce that @doctorjuggles will be adding his ranking list to mine, offering viewers an alternative view on the IEM industry as a whole!

http://bit.ly/Razzzzzz

For the next post I'll be adding a new tier to my ranking list, named Tier X, where I explore some nuttier tuning choices that still perform as Tier 1s

And for the one after that, we're doing a 2020 flagship shootout featuring the Odin, Sultan and Thummim!

Aug 17, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #53 of 3,671
Adding the Erl vs Thummim post from another thread as I've been getting a few questions regarding those

"Let's talk Summit-Fi! In this discussion we've left concepts such as sanity and value-for-money behind, and are looking at some rather ****ing awesome money-no-object items - the best that the portable audio industry has managed to come up with

Disclaimer: I have paid almost full retail for both items, and I've acquired both the Thummim and the Erl at a rather comparable price tag. Neither company has provided any sort of incentive for a favourable review.

Since this is going to be a proper A/B comparison post between the Thummim by MMR and Erlkoenig by Vision Ears I'm actually going to go point by point outlining my experience with each and which I feel has the upper hand in that particular aspect. I do have to state that they're both insanely good products, and I can't clearly recommend one or the other one-sidedly, but I will also state my overall preference at the end of this post.

1. Packaging
This is one of the points where the Erl truly is unmatched, as it arrives in a huge wooden box, with plenty of accessories, stickers and whatnot. The Thummim offers a much more understated experience, with a very nice leather case, but not quite the level of the Erl

2. Stock cable
I've read that the LE Erl has a rather nice cable that it arrives with (my info is that it's produced by Hansound though that's not official). I purchased the original Erl however, since I liked the matte silver shells much better than the black ones, and I was able to get some discount on a mint open box unit (previously owned by @aaf evo, thanks for returning them buddy! :D)

Anyhow, I find that the Plato that is included with the Thummim is a much nicer cable with a more mid-centric tonality, whereas the regular Erl cable had a rather bright touch that I didn't enjoy especially. The build quality of the Plato is also significantly nicer Imo - a point for the Thummim.

3. Build quality and fit
I can't really say that one is better built than the other. The sockets are definitely better on the Thumimm, while the Erl has a more pleasant fit, though the weight does cause some discomfort on both IEMs. The pure silver shell is also premium AF, and I love it. I suppose you can say the Erl wins marginally here, and that both IEMs are miles ahead of the rest of the market, or at least as far as my experience goes

4. Sound

Disclaimer: I really did not like settings 1 and 2, and setting 3 touches on a treble sensitivity of mine, so all listening is being done on 4 and it looks like it will stay so. Setting 1 and 2 are pretty bass-heavy, but at the expense of technical performance Imo, so hard pass from me.

This is probably the toughest point to evaluate because of just how different the two signatures and presentations are. The Erl has a much lighter touch, with a flatter presentation across the spectrum.

Bass: The Thummim presents the lows as a typical well tuned DD would. Slow decay, massive subbass, excellent weight and texture. The Erl presents the lows as much more of a BA, with really good speed, control and a subbass/bass ratio closer to 1. In this specific point I think I prefer the Erl, as I'm not a huge basshead, and instead prefer flatter lows

Midrange: Probably the toughest one to compare. The Thummim does sport better texture here, as well as more weight and just general thickness. They're both absolutely excellent in that respect, and only really matched by the VE Elysium. Three titans, each one with a slightly different presentation throughout the midrange. I'd say the Elysium and Thummim sound quite a lot like how a DD would present the mids, while the Erl has one of the best BA-sounding midranges. I'd say the mids of the Erl might make for a slightly better all-rounder, though I'd still pick those of the Thummim over it personally

Treble: In my ever-so-humble opinion, the Thummim wins by a fair margin here. Better extension, more sparkle, better detail and control. The Erl does a great job with the treble, but is still somewhat short compared to MMR's flagship.

Soundstage: The staging on the Thummim is much bigger than that of anything else I've heard, Erl included. The Erl is somewhat better organised and you can tell exactly where everything is, while the Thummim wins with sheer size and awesomeness. This point definitely goes to the Thummim once again Imo

Detail retrieval: They're both wonderfully detailed, but the Erl is quite unmatched in this respect. Easy point to the Erl.

Instrumental separation: Marginally better on the Thummim imo, though very comparable. Can't really say which I like better, they're both insane in that respect

Overall presentation: This is where they differ most imo. The Thummim is all about how good your music could sound. It is a wonderfully exaggerated, over-the-top sounding IEM, which provides an experience that's quite simply incomparable to anything else on the market. The Erl takes a different approach - it takes a rather standard tonality and a rather standard soundstage and takes it to an absolute extreme in how well it performs it.

Personal preference: Thankfully I can afford to own both, but if I had to only pick one to keep, I'd still stick with the Thummim. While the Erl is an exceptional IEM, it is like a directly upgraded A18S, while the Thummim offers a level of performance and engagement I've simply been unable to find elsewhere. That is NOT to say that I recommend the Thummim over the Erl - it is simply which of the two I'd choose if I had to choose. As you can see, I chose both :D"

IMG_1873.jpg

Aug 17, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #54 of 3,671
Really happy to announce that @doctorjuggles will be adding his ranking list to mine, offering viewers an alternative view on the IEM industry as a whole!

http://bit.ly/Razzzzzz

For the next post I'll be adding a new tier to my ranking list, named Tier X, where I explore some nuttier tuning choices that still perform as Tier 1s

And for the one after that, we're doing a 2020 flagship shootout featuring the Odin, Sultan and Thummim!

Thanks @mvvRAZ - I've put up a tentative ranking list - I'll add more of the IEMs I've listened to and comments next to anything I think it appropriate once I have a little more time.
Anything I've reviewed on Head-Fi has a link to my review. Fun! :beerchug:

Aug 17, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #55 of 3,671
@mvvRAZ I am looking forward to you adding the Odin into the mix. After getting the Legend X 👍 I am happy with what EE brings to the table and so their new flagship really peaks my interest.

Aug 17, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #56 of 3,671
@mvvRAZ I am looking forward to you adding the Odin into the mix. After getting the Legend X 👍 I am happy with what EE brings to the table and so their new flagship really peaks my interest.
It'll be added as early as next weekend along with initial impressions!

Aug 17, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #57 of 3,671
Man! I just found this thread, and I am glad I did. I trust @mvvRAZ ears more than anyone else on the forum, and will be happily following this thread, as I am finally about to make the move to TOTL iems, coming from full sized headphones. :ksc75smile:

Aug 17, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #60 of 3,671
Didn’t realise you had your own thread @mvvRAZ - Nice! I’m curious to know, what sort of music do you listen to? Do you have a few go-to albums/songs that you use for assessing IEM’s that you could possibly share? It would definitely help me to understand your preferences a bit more :) cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back