RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Apr 15, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #31 of 3,671
Hey Raz can you give a brief comparison between the z1r and a18s. I have the z1r and really like it. I had the u12t but found the treble lacking but liked the rest of the frequency. Does the a18s have more treble than the u12t? I am wondering if the z1r will be too close of a sound sig to the a18s. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Comparing the A18s and the Z1R has been on my mind for some time now actually, since they have quite a lot in common but end up having very different presentations. The Z1R has really slow bass with really fast, extremely extended treble. The A18s is in a way the opposite of that, where its bass is faster than that of the Z1R, while the treble enjoys a somewhat slower decay, giving it more of what people call "sparkle." I'd say they both have that sense of excitement, but the A18s is slightly more balanced throughout the spectrum

I find that the Z1R's treble makes just about anything instrumental (especially rock and metal) sound absolutely insane, while the A18s would work there too, but would outperform it in genres like EDM, rap, hip hop etc. They're both really detailed and really technical so in that respect I can't really say there's a clear winner.

As far as the midrange is concerned, the A18s has a fair bit more quantity, but I always found the Z1R's mids to be extremely capable despite their somewhat recessed nature. Where the A18s clearly wins over the Z1R is in higher register vocals, where the Z1R's tweeter makes them sound quite thin and harsh, while the A18s doesn't do that

Apr 15, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #32 of 3,671
...and raz already responded!

Apr 16, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #33 of 3,671
Aaaand for post #3 - sources!

Going to be covering the SP1000M, the LPGT, the WM1Z and the Hugo 2. It won't be an in-depth look that includes functionalities and all that - the focus will be sound and sound alone :)

Jun 30, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #34 of 3,671
Well with a rather massive delay (apologies for which), let's look at a couple of TOTL sources that I've used over the past year or so.

Now, where IEMs are concerned, I do feel like that obscene price tags such as 3 or 4000$ are more "justified" if I may use that word than in the case of sources. I specifically used the term feel because this is an entirely subjective take on the prices in the industry and the value/performance you get out of them. I've owned only 2 TOTL DAPs (the LPGT and WM1Z), and even those I got either used or heavily discounted - I don't think I'd pay the full price tag for either considering the WM1A and PAW6000 exist.

The reason why I feel like IEMs and HPs are more justified in their price tags is that when you get certain TOTL IEMs, it really does things that you simply cannot find at a lower price point. With DAPs it's a somewhat different situation in that most lineups usually feature a TOTL DAP, and then a "mini" version of it at like a third of the price point and like 90-95% of the performance with a very similar tonality, but a slightly lower level of technical prowess. That being said, I've always tried to own a pretty TOTL-ish DAP or desktop DAC in order to have the peace of mind that my IEMs are performing to the highest standard possible... in other words I FOMO really hard.

The other reason why I've not spent nearly as much on sources as I have on IEMs is because they simply excite me much less, and I like to concentrate my time and funds on the transducers instead. That is also reflected in the DAPs that I've demoed - I've tried what I guess is under 10 DAPs in total, pretty much exclusively the things people rave about such as the DX160/220, FiiO M11, SP2000 and a few others

With that out of the way, let's begin!

1. SP1000M

I'm going to keep it rather brief because this is a DAP that I can recommend for one reason and one reason alone - its synergy with the Elysium. As odd as it sounds, my impressions of the SP1000M on every IEM except the Elysium are pretty much the perfect opposite of my impressions of the SP1000M with the Elysium. It's the only DAP that has the ability to convert DD bass into BA bass (no, I did not mix the two up :D), sucking out most texture, decay and general fun out of it. It sounds flat, boring, way too fast and way too shy.

Unfortunately enough, the midrange is no better. The SP1000M has a pretty big upper midrange tilt making most IEMs sound rather hot and unpleasant with almost everything except female vocals. The treble is pretty good, but unless you plan on listening to female vocals only, I don't see how the SP1000M would be of much use to you.

The SP1000M is fairly technical though, and doesn't hiss with ultra sensitive IEMs like the CFA Andromeda, which is great. All in all though, can't recommend it especially unless you specifically plan on using it with the Elysium

2. WM1Z

The WM1Z is pretty much the opposite experience of the SP1000M, where it works really well with most stuff, but really doesn't work with the Elysium and other IEMs that have an inclination towards harsh treble and brightness depending on the source used. As a source it is extremely coloured, with a rather V shaped tonality - read: if the IER Z1R was a DAP, it would pretty much be the WM1Z. Excellent texture and slow decay on the bass, a slightly recessed but rather thick and heavy midrange and amazing treble control and extension.

Not only that, the WM1Z is easily the most holographic DAP I've ever had the pleasure of owning, and in a way tells you what your IEMs could sound like as opposed to what the manufacturer intended for them. That was one of the main reasons I sold mine and swapped to the LPGT, as the presentation was simply too different from the reality and reviewing something using the WM1Z ends up being useful only to people who own the WM1Z

Huge props to Sony for developing a product that's still highly relevant almost 10 years down the line though!

3. LPGT

The LPGT is a weird weird DAP. For only 3000$, you get... Nothing! Before you skip to 4. hear me out, this isn't a bad thing

This is by far the most dead neutral DAP I've ever tried. It gives you a crazy level of technical ability, such as detail, stage width and instrumental separation while also allowing you to see exactly how your IEMs were meant to sound like. I'd personally classify the LPGT as the best reviewer DAP there is on the market currently, and as a testament to that, you'll see that many of the popular reviewers and websites often use the LPGT in order to test new gear.

The great thing about the LPGT is the peace of mind that comes with it - you won't have any pairings that will make your jaw drop at how good the DAP is, but it will also perform consistently time after time, no matter what IEMs you strap to it. if you don't enjoy the net result especially, you can be dead certain that it's because the IEM isn't for you. As someone who likes to own and go through tons of gear I couldn't find a better choice than the LPGT personally. If you're the type of dude that owns a single set of IEMs I'd recommend you to look at something that specifically works with them though :)

I still find the LPGT somewhat more controversial though, because at its price point you could make the argument that it's supposed to have a much more present "wow" factor. I'd say the LPGT is the equivalent of the Erl from Vision Ears, where it doesn't do anything that would absolutely stun you, but the overall experience you get using it is absolutely excellent.

4. Hugo 2

In this particular case I've saved the best for last. The one thing I have to state right away is that the Hugo 2 is bright, but it is absolutely not thin sounding. It has hit that sweet spot where it has insane resolution without sounding shrill or unpleasant. I actually found that it has some of the best midrange texture of pretty much any other DAC I've tried, and it is also the DAC that made me interested in sources in the first place.

Not only is it extremely resolving, but the Hugo2 offers an insane level of detail, a massive soundstage and amazing instrumental separation. It gives you a sense of just how capable your gear can be - in the process you can't help but sacrifice some of the warmth or "naturalness" of the sound, but considering my listening preferences, that's a trade-off I'm happy to make.

The price of the Hugo2 is also worth mentioning. I got mine brand new for close to 1500$, and I keep seeing them used on the forums for less than that. At 2300 GBP it's a purchase I'd make but not be crazy happy about it, but considering you can get one for half that or less, there's no way I can't recommend the Hugo2, unless the tonality is something that specifically doesn't appeal to you

Ever since I got the Hugo I've been on the lookout for a DAP that can match its performance and tonality, but so far - nada. Guess I'll wait for the day that Chord goes mobile! :)

Conclusions

Usually I'm the guy that tells you to get that TOTL IEM, pair it with a TOTL cable, and then get yourself the TOTL case for max style points. It's also a fact that a cool sticker on said case gives you exactly 4% extra performance, and that's just the indisputable truth.

When it comes to sources though, my main advice would be to go to the used market. You can get crazy good deals on things that are practically as good as new, and you can pretty much be playing in one league higher than what you want to spend without much trouble. Otherwise the diminishing returns in this specific product tend to be much more significant (IMHO) than they are in the IEM market. To put it this way - I'd recommend a sort of 3:1 ratio in IEM:Source spending

Aug 2, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #35 of 3,671
Next up will be a “sell or keep” list that I’ve quite enjoyed doing in the past - some of the more interesting IEMs on that list will be the A18S, the Erl, the Thummim and naturally, the Elysium that will be covered for the 14th time or so :D

Aug 10, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #36 of 3,671
Woop woop time for another keep or sell list! I went through a disrespectful amount of gear during the lockdown so I'll be limiting this specifically to IEMs that are a bit more interesting or otherwise noteworthy.

As I discussed briefly in another thread, keep or sell lists are my absolute favourite kind of review, in the way that they aren't really a description of how something sounds, but a discussion of an entire collection and what works well together. They're also the place where I can be just another consumer with his massive bias, and forget about whatever attempts I make at objectivity during reviews

1. VE Elysium - easy keep

The VE Elysium is an IEM I've praised extensively in the past, and I still hold that it is one of the best neutral-ish monitors out there in that while it is relatively flat, it feels anything but flat when listening to it. Incredible midrange texture, rather great estat treble (though it is somewhat starting to get outperformed by some of the newer estats on the market), nice, tight and really precise bass.

Honestly discussing the Elysium's technical performance is a bit of an overkill by this point. It's an IEM that I've developed a rather intense emotional attachment to, and I don't see myself letting go anytime soon

The Elysium is also special in that in just over a month it's going to be an year since I first acquired it.

2. MMR Thummim - an even easier keep

The MMR Thummim is an IEM that I've been very vocal about. I love it to my last bone, and ever since I acquired it, it has gobbled up loads of my listening time. If I am to discuss it as a part of my collection, I'd say I use it for when I want to know how good my music could sound - it has incredible intensity, some of the most massive staging out there and bass depth for days. The quad estats have also produced my favourite treble so far, with amazing extension, and a clear upper treble focus that won me over from the moment I first heard it

I remain interested in future releases and an IEM that could top the Thummim for me, but hey, for the time being that's my MVP

3. A18S - reference done right - keep

The A18S isn't as much of a neutrality reference, but to me it feels like an "artist intended" references. It is a slightly warm IEM, with exceptional level of technical ability, a massive soundstage, and easily the most insanely extended treble I've heard. I sent it back to 64 to get the new abalone on it, but boy do I miss it every day.

What is worth noting here is that its midrange is indeed thinner than what I normally listen to and enjoy, but would also argue that within the context of its tuning, it sounds absolutely remarkable, especially with muddy and complex tracks where the thickness works against the overall performance. I always like to keep at least one 64 custom in my collection due to their comfort, fit and pressure vents, and the A18S is my current go-to from their lineup

I've said it before and I'll say it again - IMO the A18S is easily 64's best work to date, and one of my favourite monitors on the market

4. VE Erlkonig - sell

I have nothing but respect for the Erl, but it's an IEM that I simply couldn't connect with no matter how many times I tried it. @aaf evo had a similar experience until he took the plunge and bought one, so I figured why not do the same, but even after owning it I was mostly bored when listening to it, no matter what setting I went on. I'd say I attribute it to the Erl sounding overly clean/refined, and the insufficient for my preferences upper treble. It isn't rolled off, but it just doesn't have that same focus as the A18S and Thummim.

Excellent IEM, just not one for me. Used the funds I got back from it to buy the EE Odin, which should hopefully arrive later this week. Woop woop!

5. AAW Canary - sell

Not much to be said here. It really is a super great IEM that I profoundly enjoyed, but it is too similar to the Thummim with a few small differences (in the treble and staging mostly) which would make me pick the Thummim over it any day. I'm also not a huge fan of the build and look even though it's relatively standard and at the very least, decent. Would recommend it, but if you can afford, jump straight to the Thummim.

6. IER Z1R - sell

As far as V shaped IEMs go, the IER Z1R is my easy No1, 2 and 3 recommendation. The upper midrange sounds a bit off with certain recordings, but other than that it has really well textured mids despite the somewhat lacking quantity. The bass is extremely slow and pleasant as well, and opened me up to warmer IEMs in general. My main reason to keep it was the treble extension, presence and control, but I am getting that out of the Thummim and A18S currently, so I just found myself not using it sufficiently to justify keeping it.

Nowadays you can get a really good deal on these though, and as I just mentioned, the Z1R is the king of the V shapes. Super super good.

7. Anole VX - easiest sell ever

Few things have bored me as much as the Anole VX. It's a solid all rounder, but plain ordinary. It's practically a mini Erl, and I didn't love the Erl. Hard pass

The rest of the collection and next steps

EE is where I'm headed next - should be receiving the Odin this week, and a bit later than that the Mk2 releases. Pretty hyped for those in all honesty, they have some spicy things coming out right now

Other than that, I'm receiving a Balmung from MMR soon as I've had a bit of a custom IEM craving lately, I'm most certainly very curious about that model as @Deezel177 gave it pretty high praise when he first gave it a try.

Regarding the Ara and the EVE20 - I quite enjoy owning a CFA IEM as I love their build and designs. Might trade it in for a 2020 Andro at some point. The EVE20 I'll probably be selling as it isn't really doing it for me despite it being a pretty solid choice all in all.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #38 of 3,671
So am I right to conclude that overall your favourite portable setup is Elysium custom with ak sp1000m?
What genres are these most suited to?
mostly interested in Film music (Hans Zimmer), Rock / Heavy Metal, indie / alternative / Acoustic, Classical music, Piano music

I’m between the Elysium and the pears sh3

Aug 10, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #39 of 3,671
So am I right to conclude that overall your favourite portable setup is Elysium custom with ak sp1000m?
What genres are these most suited to?
mostly interested in Film music (Hans Zimmer), Rock / Heavy Metal, indie / alternative / Acoustic, Classical music, Piano music

I’m between the Elysium and the pears sh3
That was definitely my favourite setup an year ago. Now I am leaning a bit more towards the Hugo 2 with A18S/Thummim. Those are definitely my most listened to IEMs currently

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #40 of 3,671
Well, Hugo 2 is not as portable as the sp1000m, but I can understand.
I would be very interested in listening those Thummim.
I listened to the Elysium with a code 51, and it was very very very good !
So if they are better than the Elysium, it’s a (almost) « end game » until the next end game ah ah ah, of course.

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #41 of 3,671
Well, Hugo 2 is not as portable as the sp1000m, but I can understand.
I would be very interested in listening those Thummim.
I listened to the Elysium with a code 51, and it was very very very good !
So if they are better than the Elysium, it’s a (almost) « end game » until the next end game ah ah ah, of course.
I'd personally not recommend the SP1000M considering i've only found one IEM where I've really enjoyed it. The Elysium is really good, and at what it does, it barely has any competition. I feel like the universal release was a bit of a backwards move though, considering just how much better the custom version sounded to me

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #42 of 3,671
Someone i know is selling a Hugo2 with 2go for 2150 Euro, do you think that's a good deal? I was planning on getting a DX220 Max next month end which is a bit cheaper, but i dont know how they stack up against one other!

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #43 of 3,671
Someone i know is selling a Hugo2 with 2go for 2150 Euro, do you think that's a good deal? I was planning on getting a DX220 Max next month end which is a bit cheaper, but i dont know how they stack up against one other!
That's way, way too much. I hate the 2Go addition as it's simply a cash milk considering those are features that should be standard at this price point - at 1000GBP, it's practically a joke.

I got my Hugo2 brand new for 1450$ from a dealer that I can't disclose - you can get it used for 1000 EUR quite comfortably Imo

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #45 of 3,671
I only tried the universal version of the Elysium, and that was already an iem high level.
Do you have a post on HF with differences between universal and custom ?
And have you ever tried custom tips ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back