Raytheon 5U4GB for a WA6
Nov 19, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by MGLDyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know anything about this tube? I just got it for 6.00 bucks, NOS.

Good price .... these usually go for $10-12. I know I like the older coke bottle shaped Raytheon 5U4G. The 5U4GB is a straight bottle tube, newer production, with some design revisions so they could handle tougher loads .... and consequently the GB doesnt sound the same. My Raytheon 5U4Gs contributed a very clean and clear sounding character to my old SP tube rectified prototype.

Here are some old ST/ coke bottle shaped 5U4G rectifiers and a straight bottle Sylvania 5931 = military 5U4GB.

HPIM0498.jpg

Nov 19, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the reply.

I popped the tube into the ol' WA6 last night and it sounded like the mid-range had more emphasis while the bass was a little lighter, though not in a bad way. I am comparing this sound to the SovTek shipped with the amp, which I've been using for almost a year now. Granted, I only put about 3-4 hours on the Raytheon and I guess the sound will change with time. But, from what I heard I like it.

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 5
Great find! Raytheon rocks. My best 5u4g tube bargain was a few months ago. I got 2 General Electric 1950's stock NOS or at least it was tested very strong for just $4.25. It sounds wonderful too. That means I only paid about $2.12 for each tube.

If you look around from time to time, you'll find great ebay 5u4g deals brotha.

Nov 19, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great find! Raytheon rocks. My best 5u4g tube bargain was a few months ago. I got 2 General Electric 1950's stock NOS or at least it was tested very strong for just $4.25. It sounds wonderful too. That means I only paid about $2.12 for each tube.

If you look around from time to time, you'll find great ebay 5u4g deals brotha.

Very nice! I just got 2 1955 NOS Sylvania 5U4GB's for $12. I thought I got a great deal

5U4GB_Syl_1-2b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back