Ray Samuels Hornet vs. Headamp AE-1,Larocco
Mar 3, 2006 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

eglivincent

New Head-Fier
I'm starting to narrow down my choices for a portable headphone amp. My budget is $350. The Hornet looks like a nice amp but so does the AE-1. Any comments on these amps would be greatly appreciated. Below is a list of what I'm looking for in an amp, maybe you could suggest others.

Portable
Rechargable batteries
1/4" jack
Small
Great sound
run Etyomics, Grado s225, and Senn 650

I saw the hornet had adjustable gain for different impedence headphones, do others auto comply or is it a needed manual switching. Also I've seen Crossfeed adjustments as well as bass gain. Any input on usable vs. gimmicks would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by eglivincent

I saw the hornet had adjustable gain for different impedence headphones, do others auto comply or is it a needed manual switching. Also I've seen Crossfeed adjustments as well as bass gain. Any input on usable vs. gimmicks would be greatly appreciated.

Other portable amps do not auto comply, nor can you manually switch gain settings. The AE-1 will have a gain switch installed in the future, though.

Honestly you'd be hard-pressed to find a portable amp with a 1/4" headphone output jack unless you want a bulkier portable amp.

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 33
The only portable amp with a 1/4" jack I know of is the Larocco Pocket Reference.

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
The only portable amp with a 1/4" jack I know of is the Larocco Pocket Reference.

and compared to the ae-1/hornet, it's significantly bigger and heavier. still portable, but not tiny. sounds great, though.

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 33
I can live without the 1/4" input, I guess it would be hard to package in a small portable package. So will an amp without adjustable gain be able to drive a multitude of headphone impedences. At $350 I would expect a good amp but not expecting a miracle. I just want to be able to use my etymotics when I'm on a plane and switch between my Grados and Senns when I'm at home and have it sound pretty good. I'm sure there are some compromises to be had and that is OK. Any thoughts on the best amp for my application??

Mar 3, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #6 of 33
i like both of them
k1000smile.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

So will an amp without adjustable gain be able to drive a multitude of headphone impedences.

It will drive them just fine...it's a matter of how much usable control range you want with your volume knob.

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 33
The first thing you need to do is go to each company's website--they each have one. There you will find pictures, information on features, and price. For instance, the MSRP of the PRII is $510.

Second, you need to find a way to listen to each of them for yourself (if you are still interested after checking the website). All 3 of these are excellent products from reputable companies. While everyone can tell you what they like, no one can tell you what you will like. There is absolutely no substitute for listening for yourself. That is what head-fi meets are all about.

Mar 3, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldears
The first thing you need to do is go to each company's website--they each have one. There you will find pictures, information on features, and price. For instance, the MSRP of the PRII is $510.

Second, you need to find a way to listen to each of them for yourself (if you are still interested after checking the website). All 3 of these are excellent products from reputable companies. While everyone can tell you what they like, no one can tell you what you will like. There is absolutely no substitute for listening for yourself. That is what head-fi meets are all about.

I think Larry sells these at $440 USD now not 510 http://ipastudio.com/shop/?page=shop...&product_id=18

Mar 4, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #10 of 33
The LaRocco is $464 shipped in the US. (Price does include two rechargeable batteries)

The Hornet ships for $360 in the US. (Price does not include rechargeable battery)

Anyone know how much the AE-1 ships for? The price is $349, but I don't see any shipping price on the www.headamp.com site.

Mar 4, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #11 of 33
I would ad that the SR-71 in my opinion is much more detailed and has a bigger soundstage than The Hornet. The other amps I would consider are the AE-1 and Xin's SuperMacroIII Ver 6. Good luck.

Mar 4, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #12 of 33
any reason you're not considering the sr-71? i much prefer it to the hornet. the sr-71 does wonders with ety's too.

Mar 4, 2006 at 8:37 AM Post #13 of 33
It may be worthwhile to include Xin's SuperMacro3 (version 6) into the list of candidate. It is listed for US$350 + shipment, and I can confirm it is one of the most capable and feature rich portable amp in the market. My personal experience with SM3-V6 is very positive - with all my headphones. The SM3V6 is very detailed, but still offer good texture, body. I am planning to get the max-out version with OP627.

Pocket Reference 2 is also something that one should take a serious look, despite it's slightly higher price than the rest of the gang, but for good reasons. I have listened to my PR2 for over 200 hours (burn-in over 350 hours) mainly with HD650 + some hours on A/T A900LTD and would say this is so far the best sounding portable amp I have - at least before the max-out module of SM3-v6 arrives. I am truly amazed. PR2 has that touch of warmth not normally found on portable amps. Its bass contour control is another unique feature not available in other portables. Imaging is also impressive (esp. in depth).

F. Lo

Mar 4, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

I would like to check out the sr-71 amp, who makes it? Its tuff not being able to hear each one side by side. Thanks for all your responses.

The SR71 is made by Ry Samuels Audio, the same company that produces the Hornet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back