Rattling in the right cup with DT 250-250
Feb 12, 2002 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ramtha604

100+ Head-Fier
Hey there!

Last week i received my Beyerdynamics DT 250-250 and the Porta Corda and I'm quite happy with them. Thanks to you, folks for helping me that much in making the right decision.
smily_headphones1.gif

The sound is what I expected and more. Powerful, yet accurate, very detailed but not too upfront and absolutely unfatiguing. My ears seem to be a tid bit too large for them, although they're still circumaural for me. The 250's require a slight correction every half an hour or so for them to stay comfortable (not a big deal imo).

I've encountered a problem with some bass heavy recordings, though: A well audible, rattle in the right cup, just in the same way as described in the threads below.

http://www3.head-fi.org/forums/showt...&threadid=3460
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...?threadid=6816

It's not my ears (I tried changing left and right), neither my source (tested pc->corda->dt250, cdp->corda->dt250, home stereo->dt250 (without the porta corda between)) or the corda. It does sound mechanical (as already described in the threads above).

When I increase the volume I'll reach a point where I'll suddenly recognize the rattling in the right cup. The "strange" (uh, not really strange, but anyway) thing is I can now go on and increase the volume (even a lot) more without any other distortions coming up or the rattle becoming louder. Everything stays very clear apart from the rattle. So this problem is apparent at high, but by far not overly loud, listening volumes.

I also noticed that the DT 250-250 is able to take far greater signals without any distortions (besides that rattle) than the Porta Corda is able to provide when I hooked it up to a friends home stereo (seems to be one of those models with better headphone jacks).

Is this rattle a case for the warranty? Or is it "normal" and something one has to cope with?

Thanks again for any input!

P.S.: What exactly is this 1-800-293-4463 number where ppl are supposed to order the beyer pads from? Could I order a replacement DT 250 cord from "them"(?) to Austria? Does anyone know how much it would cost?

P.P.S: Sorry, but I won't be able to check this post again before tomorrow evening (~= in about 17 hours).

Feb 13, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 6
I would say your "rattle" is an unfortunate case of the "grattles" and if the prescribed "fix" doesn't take care of it, you should send the cans back for warranty replacement as the rattle is completely unnacceptable.
Best of luck!!
kevin

Feb 14, 2002 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 6
Hello.

I've tried the suggestions I read in the various other threads but the grattle remains...

I ordered them from Jan Meier and didn't get any warranty papers (guess the user manual doesn't count) so I'll have to return them to Jan rather than Beyerdynamics themselves? Could someone confirm this?

Feb 15, 2002 at 7:31 AM Post #4 of 6
I would suggest you write Jan a note and see what he recommends.

Feb 15, 2002 at 8:16 AM Post #5 of 6
Dear Ramtha,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

The rattling definitely is a warranty case. My suggestion is to contact Beyerdynamic Austria. They will take care of your phone.

Please let me know if you encounter any problems.

Cheers,

Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back