Ratshack Pot. help needed
Oct 20, 2006 at 5:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

xelion

Head-Fier
Well, I'm trying to use this pot I got from radioshack(http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...rt&tab=summary)
and I just can't figure out the pinout of it. I also can't figure out if it's mono, and woulnd't be sutiable to modulate the volume on my amp. If anyone knows the pinout of it, or can help me figure it out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

It's an Alps 451G 10KA, thats what it says on the body.

Thanks,
xelion.

Oct 20, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #3 of 10
The little Alps pot that Radio Shack carries is MONO.

Radio Shack does carry a stereo pot, Part #271-1732
It's a big hunker, but from all reports, a good performing one.

The wiper is almost always the center pin(s). Ground is almost always on the left as you face the back end of the pot. You can check this with a meter - full ON should be with the shaft turned all the way clockwise, and the middle pin and one of the other pins in the same row will have zero resistance (or close) - that is the signal pin. The remaining pin will be ground (on each row).

Oct 20, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
Ground is almost always on the left as you face the back end of the pot.

IME, ground is usually on the left as the pot shaft is facing you... otherwise, correct.

Oct 20, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 10
haha, seeing as i've got every single radio shack electronics component known to mankind now.... i'll have to check for you when i get home. i'm pretty sure i have both of those RS pots. as far as i can remember, on the mono one you've got, the variable resistor terminals are the ones that come out from the side 3 in a row, and the spst switch terminals come from the very bottom of the pot in a triangle formation (i can't remember where the ground is off the top of my head because i always get it wrong whenever i hook it up anyway, and wind up blasting my ears because the gain is reversed) if you have two, you can use one for each channel, lmao
i havn't hooked up the stereo one yet... since i'm using one mono one for each channel while still in this development phase.
rs1smile.gif

Oct 21, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars
IME, ground is usually on the left as the pot shaft is facing you... otherwise, correct.

I guess that depends on whether the pot is upside down or not.
wink.gif

annotated-rk27.jpg

(linked from Tangent's How to Wire Panel Components

Oct 21, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #9 of 10
oy shiete, almost forgot to check--
on the mono pot when the terminals are pointing towards the floor, i've got the middle lead as the wiper, and the left lead is connected to ground..
btw, mine says 531G 10KA, but i can't imagine the structure being reversed...
nice and cute little buggers (for radio shack parts). wish i could use them for something-- any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back